The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Snow with you?

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium

From 3pm Central Scotland is under a Red Warning, the skies will darken the wind will rise, polar bears will roam freely in Cumbernauld, (oh wait, that is just the locals in their white shell suits)

Jim

What do you call someone wearing a white shell suit in Cumbernauld..................The Bride!

Yes whilst typically cynical about yellow amber red warnings , you can see reason why . About 6" now here in the Costa Del Erskine , no sign of let up and the winds causing blizzard conditions . Few of my neighbours ventured out to work today, and I suspect tomorrow may well be the same.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

our current snow is about an inch, just walked my dog on the common and it looked like the arctic, wind swept snow on the ground and clouds curling in the air and then the next minute it stops and the sun comes out for a bit and its pleasent

i cant believe how soft people are these days i hear about how we used to get at least 2 foot every winter and for the whole winter but still go about your business as usual (not that i would know how it used to be though) now we get an inch and the country shuts down

I think the big difference is that many services are outsourced by councils, meaning their employees can’t be diverted at a whim (apparently bin men be diverted to snow clearing etc round here). This and the relative infrequency makes it an unlikely area to invest in, for example looking at my employers stats we have had less than 10 days of disruption in a decade due to snow...

• RMweb Gold

Between 4 and 6 inches on my bit of the Northumberland coast but most of it is blowing about making drifts and sticking to my windows so I can hardly see out of the house.

There have been several loud thunderclaps as well.  

I haven't been as far as the beach today, one of the drifts is right outside my garage.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Had to use the 4WD this morning to get down a hill in Paignton. We don't get snow in Paignton.

It would seem that we're going to get a big dump of the stuff in the night if the forecasters are to be believed. 

Snow is such a rarity in the South Hams and Torbay but l do recall fulfilling an ambition to ski down this hill outside our house in the 80s. My son had just learnt to ski so he thought that it was the best thing since sliced bread. The scratches made took an awful lot of hot waxing to rectify!

post-6728-0-58431000-1519831724.jpg

Still no snow here in sunny Eastleigh.   :sungum:  Despite the radio saying it was going to be colder today it seemed a bit warmer to me when I went out - not quite as windy. I suspect much of the hysteria and over-reaction is due to the fact that it has snowed in London..... The media seem torn between talking up the "chaos" and mocking those who are over-reacting.

Chaz

• Like 1

I was due to be running an advanced photography workshop at Pendon on Friday but we had to make a decision late yesterday on whether it was right to proceed. Given the distances several participants were having to travel and the forecasts at that time, particularly for the M4 corridor meant that it was sensible for all concerned to have clarity on it and postpone the day which we should now be doing in June.

My apologies to anyone who booked but we did genuinely have your interests and peace of mind at the forefront of making the decision.

• Like 1

our current snow is about an inch, just walked my dog on the common and it looked like the arctic, wind swept snow on the ground and clouds curling in the air and then the next minute it stops and the sun comes out for a bit and its pleasent

i cant believe how soft people are these days i hear about how we used to get at least 2 foot every winter and for the whole winter but still go about your business as usual (not that i would know how it used to be though) now we get an inch and the country shuts down

Not an inch of snow here in East Renfrewshire today.....More like 8 inches so far and it's still snowing. Cleared my path twice, shouldn't have bothered as it's completely covered again. Red weather warning issued, all schools in the area closed today and tomorrow, all Scottish football matches tonight postponed, and inevitably major disruption to rail, road and air transport. The only sensible thing is to stay at home.

Red warning across Scotland, was to hit here around 15.00 and sure enough the snow really did hit with a vengeance at three o'clock and hasn't stopped since.

Lovely.

Our club meeting has been cancelled too....

Dave Franks.

• RMweb Gold

Not too much snow in my part of Denmark about 3", but -9.9C last night. Luckily WInter tires make en enormous difference. I found my self driving on packed snow on the motorway at a steady 55Mph, no trouble at all. 

• Like 1

Now really bad I'm in the red weather warning area. All trains and buses cancelled taxi companies have taken all their cars off the road. Insurance companies telling motorists that if they drive in the red zone and it is not an emergency they will not be covered.

I wonder how many children (and adults) that have been sent home, or not gone to school due 'safety considerations' who then go on to play out in the snow now require hospital treatment as a result.

Schools, who are only interested in the safety of their charges while on the premises and therefore liable, see snow as a potential blizzard of incoming compensation claims from the torrid ranks of ambulance chasing type solicitors and shut their doors at the first flutter of winter snow. And who can blame them ?  Unfortunately the queues at A & E departments up and down the country, will be swollen by children who should have had a safe day in school.

Guy

• RMweb Premium

I wonder how many children (and adults) that have been sent home, or not gone to school due 'safety considerations' who then go on to play out in the snow now require hospital treatment as a result.

Schools, who are only interested in the safety of their charges while on the premises and therefore liable, see snow as a potential blizzard of incoming compensation claims from the torrid ranks of ambulance chasing type solicitors and shut their doors at the first flutter of winter snow. And who can blame them ?  Unfortunately the queues at A & E departments up and down the country, will be swollen by children who should have had a safe day in school.

Guy

I think also the concern is how staff get to and from their place of work. The days when all teachers lived locally are long gone

Currently coming down at about an inch + per hour in Glasgow, was 6 inches deep when I cleared my father's path this morning.  Why clear the path, because I couldn't see the wall & it was over the top of my walkig boots.    :sungum:

now 12" deep, still falling, wind blowing it horizontally, dogs being put in coats to keep them drier when returning home, chiwawas & dachounds lost ! 

Horizontal snow from the east this morning and a choice of either getting stuck in a jam in the car or walking in a easterly direction. Decided to get stuck in jam, 10-15 min journey turned into 40 minutes and the real cause of delays became pretty obvious, it was rear wheel drive cars unable to cope with the snow, so it was a crazy everything moving relatively okay and then complete standstill as a rear wheel car went all over the place going up hill. Should be a law that it is an offence to drive such vehicles in snow.

Horizontal snow from the east this morning and a choice of either getting stuck in a jam in the car or walking in a easterly direction. Decided to get stuck in jam, 10-15 min journey turned into 40 minutes and the real cause of delays became pretty obvious, it was rear wheel drive cars unable to cope with the snow, so it was a crazy everything moving relatively okay and then complete standstill as a rear wheel car went all over the place going up hill. Should be a law that it is an offence to drive such vehicles in snow.

All these moderns, even some 4x4's are fitted with useless, in snow, wide low aspect ratio tyres=going nowhere!

Apparently, you are officially an old fart when you reach the point where snow ceases to be a joy, and becomes an a source of inconvenience instead. I sadly have to admit to therefore having become an old fart about 15 years ago. Still, I did take the kids sledging earlier today which they enjoyed immensely, and I did get some fun pictures for the album!

Edited by Dick Turpin
  • Like 6

In my day, the snow was so thick we got buried walking to school and suffocated to death, but we were never late. If we were lucky, we caught open platform buses, slipped off the icy platform and got run over by all the following buses, yet we never complained. When it was thicker than usual, we turned up at the wrong school and got caned for forgetting what the roof looked like. Teachers were never late........Their bikes had snow chains.... :smoke:  

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

This Beast from the East is a real weird fellow ....just had the most horrendous blizzard here in North Wales  over the last half an hour now the suns shinning like a spring day ...... :scratchhead:  :scratchhead: suppose it's just typical of the Russians never know where you stand with them  :scared:  :scared:

In my day, the snow was so thick we got buried walking to school and suffocated to death, but we were never late. If we were lucky, we caught open platform buses, slipped off the icy platform and got run over by all the following buses, yet we never complained. When it was thicker than usual, we turned up at the wrong school and got caned for forgetting what the roof looked like. Teachers were never late........Their bikes had snow chains.... :smoke:  

Bet you were allowed to have a snow ball fight though  :triniti:

A good 15 cm here, kids off school but I was off anyway, wife left work 1.30 (about 1 hour bus journey) and still not reached the point where bus termiates prematurely and she has to walk the last 2 miles... Sledging was freezing until I could turn away from the wind. Does this storm have a proper name (none of this rhyming p*sh.com)?