The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Snow with you?

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium

I had to ddrive from Lincolnshire to Croydon, then Wembley and home again.

Listening to the early morning news @ 5.30 (stupid o'clock) am I was expecting carnage on the trip.

I hardly saw any, and when I mentioned the supposed mayhem to the boys unloading me in Croydon, the response was funny, but unprintable.

What a let down, I was looking forward to a day off, sledging.

Network Rail/TOCs (and BA) seem to have over reacted with hundreds of cancellations causing mass panic!

Regards

from a home safe, but disappointed

Ian

• RMweb Gold

We have nasty low temps here - much too cold for snow! Last night -9, feeling like -14, said the forecast. Tonight a little milder, but was -4 on my terrasse just now, when I closed the shutters, and will feel like -9 overnight. We were to have snow Thurs/Fri, but that seems to be receding. Sherry watching anxiously the South Coast forecast, as she is driving Torquay - Portsmouth Thursday afternoon. By the time her Friday morning ferry reaches Caen/Ouistreham France will be above freezing, we are told. 

• RMweb Premium

And further south than Ian we had -17C  last night.  -7 max today but no snow -YET.  Forecast for tomorrow and if anything like earlier in the year we could easily get 35cm in a single sitting.

And despite that the world will go on and not grind to a halt.

• Like 4

Guess what Guys, it not snowing here, the sun is shining, it is above and there is no wind!

From the GWN (Canada)

Yeah well we still have to get through March so don't be too cocky.  :scared:

John

The 10 inches that fell here on Saturday is rapidly melting.

• Like 1

Just glanced at my CCTV here in Chatteris. The Metro out the front now has snow 1/2 way up the rear tyre below the wheel trim (work that out, I'm not going out to measure it! ). When I came in an hour ago temp showing n the Rover was -5C, dropping fast to that on the 15 mile journey home, but no snow then.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

We had a series of snow showers this afternoon but only the last couple settled on hard surfaces because by the time they arrived the air temperature had dropped - probably about 0.25 inch of the stuff on the front path.  When my son arrived home from work at c.19.45 his car was recording -7C although it's currently only about -3C in our front porch.  

Only problem we face is living on a hill things can get a bit hairy if things get slippery as only one road tends to get any salt treatment and ours is always ignored so shopping can get awkward however supplies were duly reinforced today and sufficient Arctic gear is available to make a walk to Tesco a quite feasible excursions in far lower temperatures than we're likely to get here.

A few flurries down here in sunny East Devon but nothing to brag about.

Had a short, sharp "mini-blizzard" around 9-ish so there's a tiny bit lying on the ground from that.  Very cold so I'm sure it'll still be there in the morning.

According to the forecast, tomorrow's dumping will pass us by but "Thursday into Friday" looks  -  how shall I put it?  -  interesting.

Absolutely nothing lying yet in Glasgow, I am 200m up the hill in Eaglesham which is usually bad but so far just a dusting.

Jim

All change overnight, working from home this morning as I cannot get out the village, first email was from the factory manager telling all who can work from home to do so, happy to oblige!

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

4 inches of snow here in North East Suffolk and still snowing.

And Norfolk - and it's falling heavily at the moment. I went out to feed the birds and clear their water and my boots vanished in the snow. Forecasters claiming about -5 with a chill factor later bringing it down to -10 but doesn't feel that cold at the moment.

Driving is grim because we have yesterdays snow which melted and turned to ice, with lots of  fresh snow on top.