Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Did it turn up then Jim,or have you not been able to put it down for the glue on it............

well it’s turned up and I’ve just opened it with some trepidation, very very disappointed, no rattles from the box, every single rotating axle box still attached, number plates in a straight line, and no glue marks!

i can’t test it yet to see if it wobbles but initial impressions visually is it looks a stunner, let’s hope when I eventually run it (and fit sound) I don’t find any issues 

now what can I moan about instead

ok, truth be told one nameplate was wonky but unlike carefree’s model above the nameplate slid back into position under my finger and there were no glue marks so I suspect it’s fixed with tape?

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, big jim said:

glue marks aside, those are truly awful looking nameplates!

The nameplates in general aren't the best I've seen, although those slimline cabside ones do appear particularly poorly-defined.  That said, they are nowhere near as bad as Dapol's efforts on their 68s.  :lol:   Factory-fitted plates always seem to leave much to be desired. 

Still, at least the bodyside-attached plates are easily removable, as I'll be replacing all of mine with Shawplan plates at the earliest opportunity.

Al

Edited by YesTor

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Well D2

Not a GREAT modeller and I do not have low standards. Even the Bachmann 66 needed work on to make it correct! I have drilled the rotating axle end holes to 3mm and re-fitted rotating axle ends with a touch of glue and glaze over axle ends and loco runs superbly. My EWS 66 hauled 16 Bachmann HTA wagons up one of my Helixes no problem - I cannot get a Bachmann 66 or 70 to perform like that.

I have attached a few of my re-sprays you may, or may not, want to drool over!!

Have a nice day

IMG_9579.JPG

IMG_9583.JPG

IMG_9581.JPG

IMG_9585.JPG

Very nice !

3 hours ago, big jim said:

well it’s turned up and I’ve just opened it with some trepidation, very very disappointed, no rattles from the box, every single rotating axle box still attached, number plates in a straight line, and no glue marks!

That makes it sound like you really wanted it to be a poor model. Have I got the right impression?

23 hours ago, carefreecfc said:

Agreed . I dare not be to critical through fear of being lambasted for having an opinion ! I’m still waiting for someone to defend the glue marks ! 

I contacted hattons this morning about these issues and they were very helpful, and have sent me a return label to get the model back on its way . I wonder what will become of all these faulty models ... they must have a couple !  

I hope you find a better experience than I have, over a week since the return was delivered to them (their tracking) and no refund on my card/no communication from them! 

I was convinced one of my 66s was a former customer return. The tires all had signs of use and the axel boxes all being amateurishly super-glued in! So my suspicion, is they just re-sell the stock! Hence why I won't be ordering anymore from batch 1 as its too much fuss to keep on returning models until they send some which actually work and are to an excellent quality standard. 

I am going to see how these batch 2 66s come out, before making a decision to start re-buying former Bachmann 66s or not. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

38 minutes ago, 159220 said:

I hope you find a better experience than I have, over a week since the return was delivered to them (their tracking) and no refund on my card/no communication from them! 

And that's not very good at all.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 159220 said:

I am going to see how these batch 2 66s come out, before making a decision to start re-buying former Bachmann 66s or not. 

glad I never got swept up in ‘the hype’ when these were announced and kept my Bachmann 66s, even with the hattons one sat amongst their midst they still certainly look more than acceptable 

7B551DE0-C718-4E4E-9F21-08385A157F9C.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Dave did specifically say that wouldn't happen IIRC

He would say that though wouldn’t he. Would be a terrible look if they said otherwise. In reality they may decide to try palming them off hoping the next customer won’t notice any defects or won’t care.

34 minutes ago, big jim said:

glad I never got swept up in ‘the hype’ when these were announced and kept my Bachmann 66s, even with the hattons one sat amongst their midst they still certainly look more than acceptable 

7B551DE0-C718-4E4E-9F21-08385A157F9C.jpg

What a wonderful collection! The only one your missing as far as I can see is the Freightliner orange. 

Edited by bart2day

1 hour ago, bart2day said:

He would say that though wouldn’t he. Would be a terrible look if they said otherwise. In reality they may decide to try palming them off hoping the next customer won’t notice any defects or won’t care.

I was only repeating what he said, not offering an opinion on the matter ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

There's the GBRF one with rainbow writing, but not sure if anybody has done that?

Coincidentally - Rainbow Resprays do 66773.

• Like 1

Haven't ran mine for a few days.

Did a test today and it's still doing this:

Nothing to do with the curve as it did it on a straight piece of track when I first got it out the box.

Have spoke to Hatton's, it's going back.

I just hope they can install the sound into another loco if they don't have any left ready to go.

Will keep everyone updated as to what happens.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Coincidentally - Rainbow Resprays do 66773.

they also do the livery elements for it too,

I’m looking for another donor loco to do that one at some Point (is 66731 suitable?) 

regards the hattons loco, I’ve dug out my lenz controller so may give it go later (it’s not chipped but I’ll see if it wobbles) 

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Nothing to do with the curve as it did it on a straight piece of track when I first got it out the box.

I just hope they can install the sound into another loco if they don't have any left ready to go.

Have you checked all the back to backs of the wheels? Could be slightly wider than should be. 

Guest Half-full
1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Distance between the backs of the wheels.

Generally it is considered 'most correct' to have a distance of 14.5mm give or take a very small smidgen.

Al.

A rule of thumb I have is to check the back to backs on all items of rolling stock/motive power before putting them on the track, if I have to adjust them I then put a bit of clear nail polish at the axle/wheel interface to secure it

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Distance between the backs of the wheels.

Generally it is considered 'most correct' to have a distance of 14.5mm give or take a very small smidgen.

Al.

I think the comment was more a case of wondering, as I do, how B2B  variation would cause poor running on plain, straight track. I'd be removing the axleboxes and re-checking, as they seem to be the root cause of much of the poor running on some of these models.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/04/2020 at 17:06, Sir TophamHatt said:

May Seem obvious, but have you means to check whether all the axle boxes are rotating and/or do any of them temporarily 'catch' causing the stall. Certainly seems like something is catching intermittently.