Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

35 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Me too,it was the only one i did not get initially as the raft of sound fitted ones came,not the end of world for £119 when others are taking gold fillings to buy.

I also bought one to keep 66746 company! If (when) Accurasale or Bachmann get round to tooling up the Royal Scotsman coaches these two will skyrocket in value!  That's my hope anyway.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

I also bought one to keep 66746 company! If (when) Accurasale or Bachmann get round to tooling up the Royal Scotsman coaches these two will skyrocket in value!  That's my hope anyway.

Yeah I’m gutted I didn’t pick up 66743 while I had the chance. Been less hours at work though lately so couldn’t spare the cash. Will have to keep an eye out for 2nd hand ones when my hours pick up again. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Me too,it was the only one i did not get initially as the raft of sound fitted ones came,not the end of world for £119 when others are taking gold fillings to buy.

True on the money so side!  I expect GBRF's will get even more sought after when the HYAs arrive!  So you have one of each now then!  Nice collection!  I wonder how many more have a full set?

Edited by Torbay Express
Addition
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I have all the ones i wanted for the current scene,they seem to go for good money for the sold out ones on e bay but its up and down,theres an unused 66079 on there at the moment if anyone wants to bid,they seem to go for over £200 for basic ones.I guess its who wants it enough,we are all different.Out of the box they can be awful runners with the ends not running true,its a poor design and lets it down.Its easy fix if happy playing to glue them true but its more bodge than well made.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Not mine but might be of interest as listed as new.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224859052403?hash=item345aa4d973:g:FfIAAOSwpBhiG5Da

It says in the description to check photos for full description of the loco. There is one photo of it on its side out of the box, and one photo of the end of the box. I suppose the photo of the end of the box tells you something about the model itself, but not whether it works or has any problems. (I think this possibly should be on ebay madness thread, depending on the end price).

My latest purchase at the excellent Glasgow exhibition was from Rainbow Railways is this re-spray of GBRF 66 793. Thanks guys. One of many liveries which I'm sure would sell really well if released by Hattons.

20220306_112321.jpg

Edited by ayrmrg
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, ayrmrg said:

My latest purchase at the excellent Glasgow exhibition was from Rainbow Railways is this re-spray of GBRF 66 793. Thanks guys. One of many liveries which I'm sure would sell really well if released by Hattons.

20220306_112321.jpg

TBH there are a few I am surprised haven't been jumped on yet by Bachmann (either as main range or a dealer exclusive, or Hattons if/when another run comes) that have yet to be done with a model of good enough quality for me to consider (i.e. not the Hornby one):

66723 (Chinook)

66775 (HMS Argyll)

66773 (Pride of GBRF)

Whilst these are still in normal colours the livery/numbering variation I expect would be of enough interest for there to be a demand.

Then actually in different liveries:

66747 (Made in Sheffield in NWT livery)

66793 (Railfreight construction, as you mentioned)

66769 (League Managers Association in black Prostate Cancer UK livery)

66004 (I'm a Climate Hero)

• Agree 2

41 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

TBH there are a few I am surprised haven't been jumped on yet by Bachmann (either as main range or a dealer exclusive, or Hattons if/when another run comes) that have yet to be done with a model of good enough quality for me to consider (i.e. not the Hornby one):

66723 (Chinook)

66775 (HMS Argyll)

66773 (Pride of GBRF)

Whilst these are still in normal colours the livery/numbering variation I expect would be of enough interest for there to be a demand.

I know it's probably a little controversial but from a strategic perspective - a Class 66 would fit exceptionally well in the Accurascale range...... 

Firstly lots of liveries and variations, good sales potential due to wide appeal, compliments the wagon range, there is still the ability to produce the ultimate version and with its excellent manufacturing base, ability to schedule production runs - unlike current Liverpool version.  

• Agree 6

19 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

I know it's probably a little controversial but from a strategic perspective - a Class 66 would fit exceptionally well in the Accurascale range...... 

Firstly lots of liveries and variations, good sales potential due to wide appeal, compliments the wagon range, there is still the ability to produce the ultimate version and with its excellent manufacturing base, ability to schedule production runs - unlike current Liverpool version.  

I doubt very much Accurascale are looking at a 66 presently, the Hattons model has probably satisfied most demand and there is still a Bachmann offering.

English Electric appears to be where Accurascale are mining at present plus their steamy endeavours.

How many manufacturers of class 66 do we need - we're up to three and then there are two doing class 59s.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

Well the trick would be for Hattons to commission Accurascale to produce the 66 for them as they must have a lot of scan and drawing info to help out of this model.

With a bit thought and work the body section done like the Revolution 59 and the motor hidden in a dummy power unit and generator,something to really pust the boundry.oh and re engineer the axle end to push on end caps.like there IRM bogies.

14 minutes ago, ayrmrg said:

What price on an EFE/Hattons Class 66? :o:angel:

Unlikely I would think given the history between Bachmann (who own EFE) and Hattons, plus would be in direct competition with Bachmann’s own 66

• Agree 2

57 minutes ago, ayrmrg said:

What price on an EFE/Hattons Class 66? :o:angel:

41 minutes ago, Matt said:

Unlikely I would think given the history between Bachmann (who own EFE) and Hattons, plus would be in direct competition with Bachmann’s own 66

All depends doesn't it - should Hattons want to re-establish a business partnership with Bachmann, and it would be financially advantageous to Hattons, then perhaps that is a route out of the current mire.  Bachmann UK use EFE as a second manufacturing base outside of the Kader factories where it's own models are made, so a link up with Hattons would give Bachmann another EFE model to sell that will see volume sales and release space within the Bachmann production schedules for other lucrative Bachmann products.  Heljan has used Efe to sell 35s through retailers Heljan don't already have, so it would also benefit Hattons further in selling it's product through the Bachmann/EFE network.

Of course to make it happen, both parties have to want to make it happen.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

8 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

Slow down. We've only seen previews of Accurascale locos so far.

They will have new features at a competitive price, but Hattons 66 promised exactly the same. As mentioned earlier, 3 different manufacturers produce a class 66. Why make a 4th when there are other classes less well represented by models?

• Agree 7

13 hours ago, TomScrut said:

66723 (Chinook)

66775 (HMS Argyll)

66773 (Pride of GBRF)

Bachmann do not currently manufacture a suitable model to cover 66747 - 66799 anyway without some kind of tooling modifications - and even then there are quite a few variations within the range from 66747 onwards...

cheers

Al

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, YesTor said:

Bachmann do not currently manufacture a suitable model to cover 66747 - 66799 anyway without some kind of tooling modifications - and even then there are quite a few variations within the range from 66747 onwards...

cheers

Al

Not being too familiar with the ins and outs of the whole class off-hand, does that mean the Bachmann model of 66779 is a compromise?

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 69843 said:

Not being too familiar with the ins and outs of the whole class off-hand, does that mean the Bachmann model of 66779 is a compromise?

externally it’s right. Internally the moulded cab interior is wrong as 66779 had a ‘euro’ cab which is totally different to a ‘uk’ 66 

there are even variations on a theme between the euro cabs too!

Edited by big jim
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, big jim said:

externally it’s right. Internally the moulded cab interior is wrong as 66779 had a ‘euro’ cab which is totally different to a ‘uk’ 66 

Driver sits on the left or right dependent on EU/UK cab spec?

Edited by Graham108
Additional info

22 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Bachmann UK use EFE as a second manufacturing base outside of the Kader factories where it's own models are made, so a link up with Hattons would give Bachmann another EFE model to sell that will see volume sales and release space within the Bachmann production schedules for other lucrative Bachmann products. 

It would be an interesting thought, but I would have thought two layers of profit margin in a Bachmann 66 vs one in a Hattons one, combined with the fact the Hattons one seems to be in an uncertain place and would undoubtedly be more expensive from an RRP perspective given Hattons would also want their cut and it is more complex makes me wonder if it would be financially beneficial.

16 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Slow down. We've only seen previews of Accurascale locos so far.

They will have new features at a competitive price, but Hattons 66 promised exactly the same. As mentioned earlier, 3 different manufacturers produce a class 66. Why make a 4th when there are other classes less well represented by models?

I completely agree with all of this. AS have not given us any reason to doubt their ability to deliver, but ultimately they are still unproven and if the clock was wound back 2 years this model was the best thing since sliced bread and look how it turned out. I don't think it will have been a disaster but not a roaring success story either.

I would like Hattons to do more of them. If they are minus the issues of the first ones they will be fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Graham108 said:

Driver sits on the left or right dependent on EU/UK cab spec?

you still sit on the same side (left) but euro spec 66s have a wrap round desk with a trigger type throttle as opposed to a central pedestal with a throttle lever, I’ve not got a pic of a euro to compare but next time I’m in one I’ll grab one  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

It would be an interesting thought, but I would have thought two layers of profit margin in a Bachmann 66 vs one in a Hattons one, combined with the fact the Hattons one seems to be in an uncertain place and would undoubtedly be more expensive from an RRP perspective given Hattons would also want their cut and it is more complex makes me wonder if it would be financially beneficial.

It doesn't bother me, I'm not in the market for any class 66s even a class 59 is a little too modern for my layouts.  I was just musing it might be a way for bridges to be mended in a manner that could benefit both parties.  Slap an increase on the price to manage all the cuts for each party, Hattons get more sales, Bachmann get space on their production lines for other Bachmann models which could be just as lucrative as just selling more of their own 66s if not more.

On 07/03/2022 at 02:59, 69843 said:

Kind of - although perhaps less of a compromise than some of the Euro examples would be - but as far as 66779 is concerned (and all of the latter UK batch built for GBRf for that matter), such things as larger sandboxes and a distinct cab-front ridge between the windscreen and the front yellow warning panel can be seen on 66779:

The Euro examples differ again from one machine to another - as some came from Germany, Holland etc and at different times - so expect variations in fuel tanks, horn grilles, headlight clusters, marker lights, cab front handrails, buffers, bufferbeam steps, lamp irons and bufferbeam pipework.  Rarely do any pair seem to be identical, as on arrival in the UK some were modified/reverted further whilst others not so...  In short, check photos for the specific machine you wish to model.   ;)

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1