Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, YesTor said:

One of my favourites is 66750, perhaps one of the least modified-upon-arrival 'Euro' variants...

66750 EMD Longport

Al

That headlamp bracket looks creative !

it has changed buffers, and cab side windows along the way..

https://bahn.startbilder.de/bild/Deutschland~Dieselloks~Class+66/266692/266-025-6-brllrush-rail-in-krefeld-hbf.html

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, big jim said:

Spot the diffence,

uk low emission 66721 and euro import low emission 66748 

Anyone else notice the coupling hook is a different height on the ex Europeans? Same as on 001 and 002.

Jo

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Talking of which….

just 16 G&W class 66’s left and then its game over for the Hattons 66….

So who at this point, who has more 66’s than Hattons ?

:nono:

Remember the full set for exhibition cabinets which I expect that they still have?

At 16 left, with the correspondence on here there must be a few on here with more than 16.

Wouldn't say that the Hattons Class 66 is dead and burried - sure there will be a few pre-owned faulty ones keep popping up to keep people on their toes, plus eBay to reflect on and reminisce on the good old £119 days.....Apart from 66756 - the odd one out, that didn't get discounted and always fetched 150 notes...

21 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Anyone else notice the coupling hook is a different height on the ex Europeans? Same as on 001 and 002.

Jo

The aperture the coupling hook comes through from I presume the drag box, are different shapes as well. In Big Jim's photo of 721 and 748, 721 has a T shaped hole, where as 748 is a rectangular shaped whole.

• Agree 1

On 10/03/2022 at 19:57, The Black Prince said:

There was rumour that Bachmann were / still are? Planning to make a 66 akin to the new 47s - whether they just binned this off I'm not sure.

I do hope Hattons do some more they are definitely "in demand" for sure. 

There should be another batch sooner or later, from a conversation I had a long while ago. 

I would imagine if Hattons are to do a large batch again - with Covid it's going to be a huge logistical exercise!

Personally, like the Class 47, I don't want an extremely expensive Class 66!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 08/03/2022 at 21:24, john new said:

Not just Hattons, not just locos. Try finding a bog-standard grey 16T mineral wagon that isn't a kit. Bought an Oxford 12T planked BR wagon around 3 months ago, went back to get a 2nd one, no. None on line either that I can see of the BR version, they are now doing NE liveried examples. It has got silly and is getting sillier.

https://railsofsheffield.com/collections/new-Dapol-oo-gauge-wagons-1/products/Dapol-4f-030-021-16t-steel-mineral-br-grey-m620220

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Theres must be a few differing cabs.

fuehrerstand-1-de668-aufgenommen-beim-28

Theres a huge stack of reading material on that secondmans side.

is the driver planning a long layover ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m loving the wooden table, borrowed from Oktoberfest?

0021FA97-DF88-4D1D-9B8C-6BED7200DDE6.jpeg.ffc5ae16d107a5bbc42ca92867b15378.jpeg

other notable differences are the power handle and brake are on the opposite sides to a uk modified euro loco and the loco brake lever is the opposite way round, the one in the pic in Eric’s post is released whereas the one on 66798 here is in the ‘uk’ applied position, they have to be turned round on modification so the whole fleet is standard or it would be easy to accidentally leave the brake applied

image.jpg.7e6fd1aa23aee8dd881907c6c122203a.jpg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/03/2022 at 18:34, john new said:

Still a pre-order item though, not current stock, which I had seen.

***** decided to order after all - too slow and they are now sold out. Not a major issue as I've not got a desperate need and have some kits to build.

NB With apologies for the slight thread drift.

Edited by john new
Added a note
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

Nice quality bit of woodwork there.  I take it that weren't fitted at manufacture.  Must be the only part of a 66 to have a coat of varnish.... 

Its the Ghia version,full wood trim and GT engine.........

• Funny 4

On 08/05/2018 at 12:23, HillsideDepot said:

What can I say; this is a game-changer! 

A few unusual wagons, a couple of pretty tank engines, could (probably unfairly) be seen as marginal, but the class 66, in all its varieties and flavours really shows that Hattons mean business. It was an open goal, really. THE bread-and-butter modern loco, still with lots of potential as the real things are only at mid-life, and yet Bachmann and Hornby have dropped the ball. The standard liveries can have a permanent place in the catalogue, and the specials can be done as and when. It's basically printing bank notes!

And on the day Hornby made their "big" [non] announcement....

The above was the second or third post in this thread that followed this loco being announced back in 2018.

Fast forward to 2022 and...Hornby can supply from stock a myriad of different 66 liveries, Bachmann have several versions available whilst Hattons have one version left in the wrong shade of orange with no prospect of any more for the foreseeable future.

I'm just raising this because when a comment such as 'game-changer' is used, one would expect it to transform the landscape and yet whilst this has been an interesting project, it hasn't really shifted the hegemony of the major manufacturers.

Mind you, at £119, even with the dodgy orange I reckon the Hattons G&Y Freightliner one is still tempting while it lasts!

Edited by andyman7

1 hour ago, andyman7 said:

Fast forward to 2022 and...Hornby can supply from stock a myriad of different 66 liveries, Bachmann have several versions available whilst Hattons have one version left in the wrong shade of orange with no prospect of any more for the foreseeable future.

I'm just raising this because when a comment such as 'game-changer' is used, one would expect it to transform the landscape and yet whilst this has been an interesting project, it hasn't really shifted the hegemony of the major manufacturers.

Well actually, it has been a game changer as I feel it has influenced the other two into doing more with their tooling.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Game changer for me personally- I had dipped into modelling currentish scene but stalled when I found I didn’t have reliable motive power options for mainstay fleet of 66s. As I run 20+ bogie wagons on 1 in 60 gradient I was finding many of the Bach 66s didn’t like staying on the track for reasons I’ve never successfully remedied (something in bogie swing) and the Hornby 66s not strong enough. Added to this my Bach 70 being too lightweight and my 56s and 60s with problematic couplings and I was losing interest. The Hattons 66 has been the stimulus to get back into this - can pull anything and really no major issues once the axle box issue resolved. I really like em!

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

44 minutes ago, Matt said:

Added to this my Bach 70 being too lightweight

They aren't are they :lol:

Mine struggle to pull 10 Dapol MRAs on the flat without spinning! Hattons 66 (and Dapol 68) do so with ease.

Haven't tried a Bachmann 66 but I expect they won't be much better than the 70, but I do feel the 70 is particularly bad on traction.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Game changer for me personally- I had dipped into modelling currentish scene but stalled when I found I didn’t have reliable motive power options for mainstay fleet of 66s. As I run 20+ bogie wagons on 1 in 60 gradient I was finding many of the Bach 66s didn’t like staying on the track for reasons I’ve never successfully remedied (something in bogie swing) and the Hornby 66s not strong enough. Added to this my Bach 70 being too lightweight and my 56s and 60s with problematic couplings and I was losing interest. The Hattons 66 has been the stimulus to get back into this - can pull anything and really no major issues once the axle box issue resolved. I really like em!

Indeed! But the observation was that rather than leading to a permanent step change in Class 66 availability it looks increasingly like this production was a one-off, with those able to buy whist they were in stock the lucky ones.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, TomScrut said:

They aren't are they :lol:

Mine struggle to pull 10 Dapol MRAs on the flat without spinning! Hattons 66 (and Dapol 68) do so with ease.

Haven't tried a Bachmann 66 but I expect they won't be much better than the 70, but I do feel the 70 is particularly bad on traction.

Bachmann 70 is definitely worse than a 66. Less volume inside to fill it with metal.

(20x HHA on a 1in 100 - Ok for a 66, but not for a 70)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2