Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

On 15/03/2022 at 21:51, Matt said:

can pull anything

I had an interesting incident today.

One of my 66s was pulling 7 Hattons FEAs with containers when it collided with a derailed Revolution IWA, which then lead to the 66 propelling its own train, the IWA, and a Bachmann 66 with 12 Accurascale PCAs along my fiddle yard without even breaking a sweat (and without breaking any wagons too thank goodness).

The Hattons 66 was a fantastic model, but not really a 'train set engine'. 

Ftting couplings to both ends was way too complex for perhaps the average modeller.

Mine has always run OK but has to be driven carefully when going through  Peco small radius pointwork, tho not tried it on Rad 2 curves.

34 minutes ago, paulbb said:

Ftting couplings to both ends was way too complex for perhaps the average modeller.

Not sure TBH. The main complexity of that process was getting the body off, which is what was needed for fitting a decoder too.

I think it's a lot better (and more convincing) way of doing it than Bachmann's 66, the air dam looks loads better and also can be on the loco with a coupler which the Bachmann one doesn't allow.

36 minutes ago, paulbb said:

but not really a 'train set engine'. 

How many modern ones are?

37 minutes ago, paulbb said:

tho not tried it on Rad 2 curves.

Mine behave on the R2 curve I have far better than some of my long wagons. I don't have any settrack points anywhere anymore but never had issues with them on my previous layout IIRC.

21 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Not sure TBH. The main complexity of that process was getting the body off, which is what was needed for fitting a decoder too.

I think it's a lot better (and more convincing) way of doing it than Bachmann's 66, the air dam looks loads better and also can be on the loco with a coupler which the Bachmann one doesn't allow.

How many modern ones are?

Mine behave on the R2 curve I have far better than some of my long wagons. I don't have any settrack points anywhere anymore but never had issues with them on my previous layout IIRC.

Trainset Curves

After starting to build a small layout in the loft, even on Radius 3 curves models look so wrong on them due to the overhang, especially with independent with tension lock cam arrangements.  So if I ever do my big dream layout, very gentle curves are the order of the day.  Also with the centre cam arrangements on couplings nowadays - it's almost impossible to couple a train on a curve!

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

Trainset Curves

After starting to build a small layout in the loft, even on Radius 3 curves models look so wrong on them due to the overhang, especially with independent with tension lock cam arrangements.  So if I ever do my big dream layout, very gentle curves are the order of the day.  Also with the centre cam arrangements on couplings nowadays - it's almost impossible to couple a train on a curve!

I agree, I have used them sparingly on mine but the size of the room and what else I have to fit in it (including the amount of stock I want to put on it) means I have had to compromise in certain places. I have 50mm centreline track spacing pretty much everywhere too which looks a lot better, but is a pain to get stuff rerailed alongside something else.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

I had an interesting incident today.

One of my 66s was pulling 7 Hattons FEAs with containers when it collided with a derailed Revolution IWA, which then lead to the 66 propelling its own train, the IWA, and a Bachmann 66 with 12 Accurascale PCAs along my fiddle yard without even breaking a sweat (and without breaking any wagons too thank goodness).

If running prototypically - did the driver get a medscreen?

Talking of trainsets Hattons 66s don't really like cheap Hornby Trainset Controllers!  One type the lights illumiate incorrectly.  On another type, double head and the controller trips in 2 seconds!  Found this out following the odd occasional purchase, when I didn't want to keeping going up the loft when wobble resolving.

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dilemmas....... purchased a cheap corner cabinet, which I am thinking of transferring smaller items to, thus freeing up a larger cabinet......

I were thinking of putting 6 of these beauties on a shelf, so we can enjoy them, but that's gonna be over 4.5kg a shelf!  Yes, I don't think I need to strengthen the floor, but perhaps the glass shelves may need more substantial mounts, or modesty blocks as extra supports.......

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Looks like another pre-owned example up for grabs! 

H4-66-033 66746 Well run, weathered, crew fitted, white lights modified, couplings fitted to both ends,no accessory pack, no box but will be sent on low loader.  (Pretty good deal for £4 p&p!)

• Funny 4

5 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

another new livery to work on.

Don't really find the livery that inspiring.  Would have sooner seen a flag as per 66705 bodyside.  

You might have a slight problem if you want it to be fully accurate...I don't think the Hattons GBRf covers that variant, with bug eyes, no middle door and modified (2) cab side windows.Even 66621 don't match - wrong windows.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Of all the liverys they did i think they missed out with no Fastline one,stunning to look at IMHO and with Accurascale doing the coal hoppers, perhaps in a re run if it ever materializes.

it was a cracking livery, really suited it 

fresh out of the box 

29062008970.jpg

DSCF2044-1.jpg

And the first day in traffic 

DSCF2050.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/04/2022 at 16:45, Torbay Express said:

Don't really find the livery that inspiring.  Would have sooner seen a flag as per 66705 bodyside.  

I thought the blue over yellow was the Ukrainian flag.

• Agree 1

On 07/04/2022 at 10:31, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

another new livery to work on.

I think it looks good , I’d have liked to have seen the call to arms “ Russian warship, go f#£k yourself !”, but I guess that would get some disapproval .

I imagine someone will commission Bachmann to do it, and / or rainbow railways will respray a load . If you want to do your own railtec were fast off the draw with decals . My only wonder would be the shades of blue and yellow 

Edited by rob D2

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

I imagine someone will commission Bachmann to do it, and / or rainbow railways will respray a load . If you want to do your own railtec were fast off the draw with decals . My only wonder would be the shades of blue and yellow 

Depends how accurate they want it to be. As per earlier - The correct matrix of details has not been produced by any manufacturer.  The Hattons version may permit the correct variations, but  suppose it depends on tool potential tool configurations!  Of course anything is likely to be more accurate than a Hornby (exLima)66/0.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, big jim said:

it was a cracking livery, really suited it 

fresh out of the box 

29062008970.jpg

DSCF2044-1.jpg

And the first day in traffic 

DSCF2050.jpg

Well if the gods are watching this tread and they are kind,this loco and then you just need to visit Modelu and you have it and its so clean no weathering required,heres hoping for you eh....