Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

4 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Theres a couple on e bay not daft money yet,Biffa and Cemex if anyone wants a one.

66743 went for £178 plus post the other day and its just sold out from Hattons, its not all bad if they hold or gain value.

Shhhhh don’t tell anyone. eBay prices go silly enough as it is 😛

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Theres a couple on e bay not daft money yet,Biffa and Cemex if anyone wants a one.

66743 went for £178 plus post the other day and its just sold out from Hattons, its not all bad if they hold or gain value.

I’m not sure what to think regarding ebay prices.

high values suggests there is demand for more, and chances are more new releases may follow.

lower prices suggests demand meets supply and less chance of more following.

right now, theres not many of them in circulation, and prices are around what i’d guess repeat runs maybe, which imo isn't encouraging for more to be made… it suggests to me everyones got enough in their collections to not want to sell, and buyers are agnostic to buying.
Other factors obviously apply influence too.

look for instance at TPE 68’s theyve gone full rollercoaster from £120 upto £200+ and are now back down to £120.. I suspect issues 4&5 will struggle, despite imminent mk5 stock… how many tpe 68’s do you need logic also applies also to how many EWS 66’s you need.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

look for instance at TPE 68’s theyve gone full rollercoaster from £120 upto £200+ and are now back down to £120.. I suspect issues 4&5 will struggle, despite imminent mk5 stock… how many tpe 68’s do you need logic also applies also to how many EWS 66’s you need.

I agree, new 68s are not on my radar until a new livery comes out (or should I say when they make the new livery). I do have 5 though 😂

Thing about 66s is if you have a load of modern freight trains on your layout then you pretty much need a load of 66s.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I’m not sure what to think regarding ebay prices.

high values suggests there is demand for more, and chances are more new releases may follow.

That’s not always the case though. If two people want 1 livery bad enough, they could be willing to pay a very over-inflated price just to get it. Would be a very hard thing to judge id say for anyone. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

That’s not always the case though. If two people want 1 livery bad enough, they could be willing to pay a very over-inflated price just to get it. Would be a very hard thing to judge id say for anyone. 

Exactly, you only need to look at Bachmann 66s for that. TFL and Tube Map liveries go for ridiculous money. A green Freightliner one on the other hand, doesn't.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Exactly, you only need to look at Bachmann 66s for that. TFL and Tube Map liveries go for ridiculous money. A green Freightliner one on the other hand, doesn't.

This did surprise me when I sold mine off, along with 66779. I think I got £20 less than what I paid for 66779, the other two returned about 2.5 times what I paid each. That said, there are some models that seem to attract bidding wars, the DRS 33/2, EWS 33 from Heljan, both always seem to attract higher than normal on a certain auction site. 

20 hours ago, Br60066 said:

Shhhhh don’t tell anyone. eBay prices go silly enough as it is 😛

A Cemex sold for £380 weathered (not DCC sound) a few weeks ago. (Had it on my watch list for curiosity). But same seller had another a few weeks later - so whether it fell through?  Would have been happy to have sold one to the second highest bidder!

59 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

A Cemex sold for £380 weathered (not DCC sound) a few weeks ago. (Had it on my watch list for curiosity). But same seller had another a few weeks later - so whether it fell through?  Would have been happy to have sold one to the second highest bidder!

The thing I expect to be difficult with Cemex is whether a customer paying £380 would be willing to accept the light bleed they all had as far as I am aware. On the other hand would they accept one that had been reworked to stop it?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Torbay Express said:

The sale didn’t fall through.

• RMweb Gold
On 13/04/2022 at 21:47, Hilux5972 said:

I agree but youve got to consider the totality of it from a manufacturers view.

Making a few hundred of one livery, verses economics of making a thousand or so in a few liveries.

I cant imagine Cemex, Large logo etc being repeated. But is there enough space for 6 more regular GBRF ?

Also consider all the recent exciting liveries are on ex-Euro imports and upgraded 66’s which we havent yet seen tooled….whilst others may ignore the differences and do the livery anyway, the Hattons 66 will be judged by price and quality.

As I said in my original post, other factors apply.

i’m resigning myself to not seeing anymore Hattons 66’s for at least a year, maybe 2 or even 3, before they actually arrive, and expecting a price hike when they do… Hattons mega load of generic coaches havent arrived yet, and China has huge back logs in delays of everyone elses stuff (Heljan 45, Dapol 59..  Railmotor is now 8 years…).

I’m thinking supply difficulties is reducing actual production volumes and is driving inflation so that manufacturers can actually make a little bit of everything for everyone.

For the consumer, is the cost of replacing regular ones…Bachmann 66’s are not bad, even Hornbys bodyshell is very accurate, with the right numbers applied and “acceptable back of the shed-ware”. 

I think their ebay value level is found, +/- a few quid here / there and suspect the overall demand for them is fairly sated too, +/- some newer specials, which to me viewing a pattern over time suggests demand is muted, so focussing on other projects may make better commercial sense.

Edited by adb968008

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/04/2022 at 01:55, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Didn't even get a notification on that (probably due to being DCC fitted) - how much were they asking for it?  Sold out, so that must have made someone happy!

Got a Hattons 66 yesterday to pull 12 HYA's  (they appear to have some rolling resistance straight out of the box) up my rather steep gradients, with R3 curves each end.  Including a standing start with 12 where a lesser mortal of a different class just ground to a halt and slipped with 8.  Impressive performance, it could have taken more had I got them.  Think the Class 66 enjoyed the moderate exercise......

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Torbay Express said:

Didn't even get a notification on that (probably due to being DCC fitted) - how much were they asking for it?  Sold out, so that must have made someone happy!

Got a Hattons 66 yesterday to pull 12 HYA's  (they appear to have some rolling resistance straight out of the box) up my rather steep gradients, with R3 curves each end.  Including a standing start with 12 where a lesser mortal of a different class just ground to a halt and slipped with 8.  Impressive performance, it could have taken more had I got them.  Think the Class 66 enjoyed the moderate exercise......

It was £165 so back to non discounted price,it was new not a pre owned.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

It certainly made me very happy getting 66789 thanks to @ERIC ALLTORQUE. I had been looking on eBay, but didn't fancy paying the prices being asked for a locomotive that has a lot of fragile detail and possibly may have had some attempt at fixing the wobble/axle box issues. I'm still hoping that Hattons do another run of them at some point.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1