Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

I suppose the big moment will be if (when?) Bachmann announce their Version 2 of the 66, will it arrive before Accurascale can get theirs to market in 11/12 months time? As we saw from the 47 and 37, announcement to delivery was very very quick from what we've been used to, so they could well be sitting on one almost ready to go. It surely would be priced at least the same as the 37 I'd have thought, which I note had a £5 price rise on batch 2 this year (£250 RRP).

I wonder what Bachmann will have up their sleeves for Ally Pally in a few weeks time?

Even if it is more expensive than the As 66, the "I want one now" brigade will buy one - or more - if it is available before a competitor release. [*]

[*] With the caveat that if there is a new Bachmann 66, it is superior (and I wouldn't expect anything less) to the older model.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

If I'm honest I cant see any forthcoming 66 being near what Accurascale are wanting, but then in the long run Accurascale's price is likely to rise something to where Bachmann might start from

Nope.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, newbryford said:

I wonder what Bachmann will have up their sleeves for Ally Pally in a few weeks time?

Even if it is more expensive than the As 66, the "I want one now" brigade will buy one - or more - if it is available before a competitor release. [*]

[*] With the caveat that if there is a new Bachmann 66, it is superior (and I wouldn't expect anything less) to the older model.

tbh I’m not sure Bachmann can top the Hattons 66.

The irony is imo, that we could see the best rtr model ever made, and a contender from a competitor of the same class, both of which have had the same guiding hand in it.

Accurascale may have found 2023’s modelling incarnation of William Stanier.

A new Bachmann 66 has got to have a very high bar, to compete, they have demonstrated it with the 37 tooling, but the Hattons 66 was inane to the point of different front handrails, sand boxes and really small minor details… Accurascale already changed the wheel guards on the bogie…. Were getting into really deep details now.

Quite exciting really.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Hattons 66 was inane to the point of different front handrails, sand boxes and really small minor details

The unfortunate thing about that is a lot of people seem to forget all this and just want to talk about axle boxes falling off.

For me, a perfect Hattons 66 is still quite arguably the best OO D&E loco there is. Good for Accurascale that it is in their stable, alongside what could be another contender in the 37 (when we see one), and what are contenders in the 92 and 55. The interesting thing (for me) is that I don't think there is any contender for this title from Hornby, and I think Bachmann's only entry might be the 47. Dapol 68 is the only other one I think is close.

Going forwards, the AS 37, 31 & 89, Cavalex 56 & 60, Bachmann 69 and Revolution 18 and 93 will be interesting too.

In fairness, it doesn't really matter what is best overall, we buy them for what they are, but I think it is food for thought that my list of potentials is pretty thin on the "old guard" front.

• Like 6
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

The unfortunate thing about that is a lot of people seem to forget all this and just want to talk about axle boxes falling off.

Very true @TomScrut,it pushed the boundry out the park but was doomed with the poor running stima.

All the raving at the time when cut and glued axle ends so the bogie matched the Bachmann jobbie it was compared to

It was just a bridge to far without good QC,the Delorian of model rail,oh wait thats Irish...............

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

For me, a perfect Hattons 66 is still quite arguably the best OO D&E loco there is. Good for Accurascale that it is in their stable, alongside what could be another contender in the 37 (when we see one), and what are contenders in the 92 and 55. The interesting thing (for me) is that I don't think there is any contender for this title from Hornby, and I think Bachmann's only entry might be the 47. Dapol 68 is the only other one I think is close.

Going forwards, the AS 37, 31 & 89, Cavalex 56 & 60, Bachmann 69 and Revolution 18 and 93 will be interesting too.

In fairness, it doesn't really matter what is best overall, we buy them for what they are, but I think it is food for thought that my list of potentials is pretty thin on the "old guard" front.

I think the Dapol 73 is under rated… its a slower geared model and paint has been hit and miss, but technically, aesthetically its fine. The latest batch have improved the paint, now increase its top speed and it becomes a great model.

The potential, imo is the 73/9.

We have nearly all its stock, ballasts, NRTT, RHTT, Railtour stock, Sleeper stock.

It runs extensively in the South, in Scotland and nearly every week on 1Q69 on the MML.

They have run nationwide.

Whats more, they mostly go in pairs.

its different to the 73/0 and 73/1… very little of the Dapol tooling could be used.. perhaps the Chassis block, inner bogies and frame. The bogies, outer tanks and entire body are not like a 73/0 or 73/1, its a totally different beast. 

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I would also add Bachmann's new 37 & their 90. Like Hatton's 66, the first batch of 90s had some issues but I have not heard anything along similar lines about the later lot.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I would also add Bachmann's new 37 & their 90. Like Hatton's 66, the first batch of 90s had some issues but I have not heard anything along similar lines about the later lot.

Yeah, I refrained from the Bachmann 37 as I do expect the Accurascale one will be better. The 90 a year ago without a doubt, and is probably my favourite AC loco other than the 88 perhaps. On the flip side though, I think if you put the 90 next to an AS 92 there's only one winner. Doesn't remove the 90 from being an excellent model in its own right, and I do have 3 of them to 1 92 (with no intention of any more 92s but could be tempted by the right 90).

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I am also looking forward to the Acura’s 50. I think that is going to be a beast. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 27/02/2023 at 20:21, SouthernMafia said:

I suppose the big moment will be if (when?) Bachmann announce their Version 2 of the 66, will it arrive before Accurascale can get theirs to market in 11/12 months time? As we saw from the 47 and 37, announcement to delivery was very very quick from what we've been used to, so they could well be sitting on one almost ready to go. It surely would be priced at least the same as the 37 I'd have thought, which I note had a £5 price rise on batch 2 this year (£250 RRP).

To be honest even if Bachmann do do a new 66! Their carry on with pricing has made me look twice at all their releases and think 'Nah'. If Accurascale can sort out the loose grills and axle box covers I'll be more than happy to continue keep supporting Accurascale. 

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 28/02/2023 at 12:18, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Very true @TomScrut,it pushed the boundry out the park but was doomed with the poor running stima.

All the raving at the time when cut and glued axle ends so the bogie matched the Bachmann jobbie it was compared to

It was just a bridge to far without good QC,the Delorian of model rail,oh wait thats Irish...............

And for me, this will be the ‘acid test’ of the Accurascale - does it run reliably? I guess we won’t know for quite a while. 

I think the Dapol class 22 is an excellent model and also think the Accurascale class 37 will find it difficult to beat the new Bachmann class 37 - but let’s see what appears in due course! 

And what about the Sutton’s baby Sulzers? Surely at the pinnacle of RTR diesels.

If Hornby applies the 9F treatment to any of their diesels, then we’ll have another contender!! 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, MidlandRed said:

And for me, this will be the ‘acid test’ of the Accurascale - does it run reliably? I guess we won’t know for quite a while. 

I think the Dapol class 22 is an excellent model and also think the Accurascale class 37 will find it difficult to beat the new Bachmann class 37 - but let’s see what appears in due course! 

And what about the Sutton’s baby Sulzers? Surely at the pinnacle of RTR diesels.

If Hornby applies the 9F treatment to any of their diesels, then we’ll have another contender!! 

Im sure the Accurascaled 66 will be a different kettle of fish as far as running,the detail glued on the axle end of a rotating wheel was asking for trouble,the A class runs superb, the only way i could see an improvement would be a metal gear tower to put the weight directly onto the wheels,time will tell i guess.

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Im sure the Accurascaled 66 will be a different kettle of fish as far as running,the detail glued on the axle end of a rotating wheel was asking for trouble,.

It was the design of it that was asking for trouble 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, newbryford said:

It was Mick,to have them glue them on and get them true was asking for a mirical from a mass assembly front

As ive got longer axles in some of mine the cap on the end runs concentric and cures the issue but its hard to assemble on the Hattons bogie. Funny this tread has burst back, must be as by his own admission @McCis watching us on there thread ha.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, newbryford said:

True enough, but the root of the problem was never the covers themselves, it was the excess material on the bogie sideframes which meant that the parts weren't aligned as designed. I linked to the proper fix in this thread a couple of times and Hornby Magazine documented it a while back.

• Agree 4

On 28/02/2023 at 09:11, adb968008 said:

tbh I’m not sure Bachmann can top the Hattons 66.

The irony is imo, that we could see the best rtr model ever made, and a contender from a competitor of the same class, both of which have had the same guiding hand in it.

Accurascale may have found 2023’s modelling incarnation of William Stanier.

A new Bachmann 66 has got to have a very high bar, to compete, they have demonstrated it with the 37 tooling, but the Hattons 66 was inane to the point of different front handrails, sand boxes and really small minor details… Accurascale already changed the wheel guards on the bogie…. Were getting into really deep details now.

Quite exciting really.

I think Bachmann have to have an updated 66… you can’t be serious about modern DE without it , alternatively , do the older one in all colours and dump the price right down .

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

I think Bachmann have to have an updated 66… you can’t be serious about modern DE without it , alternatively , do the older one in all colours and dump the price right down .

I agree all round, but, if they dump the price of the old/current one then that rather smacks of taking the proverbial with its current price. Admittedly I don’t think they have released any recently and I think they do take the aforementioned. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

True enough, but the root of the problem was never the covers themselves, it was the excess material on the bogie sideframes which meant that the parts weren't aligned as designed. I linked to the proper fix in this thread a couple of times and Hornby Magazine documented it a while back.

Ive seen the flash on the inside bogie frames (usually 2 out of 4 have it, so maybe thats how it is on the sprue), but ive not found it detrimental to performance of mine.

Ive found marginally widening the axlebox hole helps ( and its totally invisible), but I stopped removing that bogie flash, It didnt seem to make much difference.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Ive seen the flash on the inside bogie frames (usually 2 out of 4 have it, so maybe thats how it is on the sprue), but ive not found it detrimental to performance of mine.

Yes i have most of these too and i think the flash has no bearing on it,the wobble is the axle end detail not true on the wheel,once its centred they run superb.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Yes i have most of these too and i think the flash has no bearing on it,the wobble is the axle end detail not true on the wheel,once its centred they run superb.

It wasn't flash, it was a defective moulding:-

https://www.tomstrains.co.uk/2020/fixing-the-axleboxes-on-a-hattons-class-66/

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

It wasn't flash, it was a defective moulding:-

https://www.tomstrains.co.uk/2020/fixing-the-axleboxes-on-a-hattons-class-66/

i just checked the link, Confirmed, were talking about the same thing.

I didnt find it made any difference being on, off. Indeed I recall swapping one loco to have it on all 4 on one loco, and none on another.

if the bogie side frame isnt pushed home fully in the cradle it will make a difference, but thats something else.

Note though, opening the axlebox holes, this i think is quite important.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There’s a 3D printed alternative replacement by Track3D which seems to have the perfect solution. No drilling or modification of the bogies needed. Saw on Facebook recently and will definitely be ordering some for my 66746. https://www.track3drailwayparts.store/products/replacement-hattons-class-66-rolling-wheel-bearing?_pos=1&_sid=4fe22eb2f&_ss=r

DECF1AA6-0D27-487F-BA7D-A9A6E4FBE9B5.jpeg

• Like 3