Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

So ive scrapped it…

B7F9AFED-AE61-4834-ADB5-1769C22C0F38.jpeg.70ceb7e1601742dffe58a00d6c7f6dae.jpeg

gosh what a bag of bits it gives… over 25 pieces on each bogie, and 24 bits on the frame, 15 on each bufferbeam, thats not including any screws, or the internals which adds another 20+…

This chassis has fed around 10 of my 66 rescues so far, and reached the point of finally putting it out of its misery and stripping it down fully.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, JohnC said:

As always, Hattons great to speak to but very disappointed at their lack of spares for the 66.

needing a replacement motor but cannot find anywhere that can supply.

Any ideas please?

Try this post to fix it…

For a replacement, this will do, just swap the fly wheels.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002670420818.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I repaired a motor last week using the method in adb’s post but I recon I might hold off putting it back together (was about to do it this evening) and order a new motor from AliExpress instead so I know I’ve got a decent one in there 

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, big jim said:

I repaired a motor last week using the method in adb’s post but I recon I might hold off putting it back together (was about to do it this evening) and order a new motor from AliExpress instead so I know I’ve got a decent one in there 

It looks like the same motor is used in several others (Dapol 73, Accurascale 92, Hornby 87 all look suspiciously similar), and the size/ shape dimensions lends itself to several other vendors too, so having it in the cabinet is not a bad thing.

Edited by adb968008
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am wondering. Has anyone have a spare GBRF Air Dam with the coupling slot. Plus the NEM socket which plugs into the bottom of the loco as pictured below and circled in red? As I never add the extra details as I use my locos with couplings at both ends. So I need to replace the full detail end Air Dam with this one if I can get one. I have tried Hattons but no luck. 

Many Thanks if anyone can help.

Chris

66.jpg

66 1.jpg

• RMweb Premium
On 08/05/2023 at 05:36, Creampot Junction said:

Hi,

I am wondering. Has anyone have a spare GBRF Air Dam with the coupling slot. Plus the NEM socket which plugs into the bottom of the loco as pictured below and circled in red? As I never add the extra details as I use my locos with couplings at both ends. So I need to replace the full detail end Air Dam with this one if I can get one. I have tried Hattons but no luck. 

Many Thanks if anyone can help.

Chris

66.jpg

66 1.jpg

I have left one end of my Royal Scotsman 66 fully detailed so I’ll have a hunt when I get home for you and see. If no one else beats me haha

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 10/05/2023 at 22:52, Hilux5972 said:

I have left one end of my Royal Scotsman 66 fully detailed so I’ll have a hunt when I get home for you and see. If no one else beats me haha

Hi, 

Many Thanks for the offer. I think someone is sorting me out with one. Unfortunately the Royal Scotsman one is the wrong one I need as its a yellow on the air dam and not orange like the standard GBRF 66's which is one what it is needed for. But I am very much grateful for the offer though.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After a very long journey, ive not got all my 66 chassis working and motors complete... I bought nearly every dud their was and in someways fixed it. Aside of just 2 from 40+ class 66’s they are all mechanically complete just by swapping bits between the demics to make them whole with oem parts.

what of the “2”

A few pages back, someone asked about blanking chips for the Hattons 66.

My two are also missing a dcc blank chip.

I emailed hattons who responded to say..

You will be able to use any brand of 21 pin blanking plate with our class 66 locomotive. You will just need to make sure the switches controlling the light are in the right positions.

unfortunately this is not true.

whilst “any” might make it go, not all make the lights go on…

096CCE86-E571-4404-9E25-6A73365FDFE0.jpeg.ff4e109da4f00ee2ecdf887c44b6e467.jpeg
(this is a Bachmann blank chip, no lights).

Not to be undeterred and seeing some factory ancestry with Accurascale I decided to order some Accurascale blank chips… the. 55 and the 37. (The 92 looks identical to the 37).

1C6450DC-F3B7-4915-B1AE-E63F953A2235.jpeg.b1eb45d078064d6a1937dbadc689d51b.jpeg

The 37 has 6 switches. Identical to the 6 switches on the board of the 66, so I decieded to turn the all on ,and fit it to the loco…

Hey presto I have working directional lights again!

2D1A5BDF-F3CC-4598-93A8-7B8BCBE1E49D.jpeg.3fd7aa6b1067f32121641e75b149909f.jpeg

It has to be fitted upside down (switch side down ) on the board due to the pin arrangement, but as your using the switches on the board this should not be an issue.

What of the class 55…

well it only has 4 switches, and err.. it turned on both front and rear, at the back, though the front lights up ok.

A3613360-34DC-43DF-B2B5-57F780B1E9C8.jpeg.ad063b0e21ec02c1804d44c8d0baf3d2.jpeg

so there we go…

1. A class. 37 Blanking plate, with all switches on (but inserted upside down) will provide DC operation with lighting.

2. Because the chip is reversed, you need to reverse the switches for day and night running, so Set k1 and k4 to “down” for Day and inverse for Night.

D39687BE-8A37-48BE-B671-8F617FB0E840.jpeg.ba1ffc5f76d480311721bb76f838b49c.jpeg

see k4 circled in red on the main board.

my guess is Accurascale may use the class 37 blank chip in their new 66, dispense with the onboard switches (and install it the right way up).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

42 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

my guess is Accurascale may use the class 37 blank chip in their new 66, dispense with the onboard switches (and install it the right way up).

Although having switches on the loco does enable certain usage with sub optimal decoders IIRC.

Can't you swap between day/night using the switches, for example, when using a 6 function decoder?

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/05/2023 at 22:13, adb968008 said:

After a very long journey, ive not got all my 66 chassis working and motors complete... I bought nearly every dud their was and in someways fixed it. Aside of just 2 from 40+ class 66’s they are all mechanically complete just by swapping bits between the demics to make them whole with oem parts.

what of the “2”

A few pages back, someone asked about blanking chips for the Hattons 66.

My two are also missing a dcc blank chip.

I emailed hattons who responded to say..

unfortunately this is not true.

whilst “any” might make it go, not all make the lights go on…

096CCE86-E571-4404-9E25-6A73365FDFE0.jpeg.ff4e109da4f00ee2ecdf887c44b6e467.jpeg
(this is a Bachmann blank chip, no lights).

Not to be undeterred and seeing some factory ancestry with Accurascale I decided to order some Accurascale blank chips… the. 55 and the 37. (The 92 looks identical to the 37).

1C6450DC-F3B7-4915-B1AE-E63F953A2235.jpeg.b1eb45d078064d6a1937dbadc689d51b.jpeg

The 37 has 6 switches. Identical to the 6 switches on the board of the 66, so I decieded to turn the all on ,and fit it to the loco…

Hey presto I have working directional lights again!

2D1A5BDF-F3CC-4598-93A8-7B8BCBE1E49D.jpeg.3fd7aa6b1067f32121641e75b149909f.jpeg

It has to be fitted upside down (switch side down ) on the board due to the pin arrangement, but as your using the switches on the board this should not be an issue.

What of the class 55…

well it only has 4 switches, and err.. it turned on both front and rear, at the back, though the front lights up ok.

A3613360-34DC-43DF-B2B5-57F780B1E9C8.jpeg.ad063b0e21ec02c1804d44c8d0baf3d2.jpeg

so there we go…

1. A class. 37 Blanking plate, with all switches on (but inserted upside down) will provide DC operation with lighting.

2. Because the chip is reversed, you need to reverse the switches for day and night running, so Set k1 and k4 to “down” for Day and inverse for Night.

D39687BE-8A37-48BE-B671-8F617FB0E840.jpeg.ba1ffc5f76d480311721bb76f838b49c.jpeg

see k4 circled in red on the main board.

Great work.

Does that mean you got the final two up and running. So you had a clean sweep of 66's all fixed? 

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Creampot Junction said:

Great work.

Does that mean you got the final two up and running. So you had a clean sweep of 66's all fixed? 

as good as its going to get.

ive got to decide what to do with them all now.

🙂

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

i looked at it, but thought £95 was a bit high.

in addition to whats declared missing,

Non-runner, motor removed - Missing buffers, couplings, one axle box & three set of steps - Loose fuel tank

its additionally missing: 

All the side grills which ive not found a source for ( except cutting from a Hornby body).

Roof Grills

it also needs cab steps, front steps, cab mirrors, door and front hand rails, centre sand boxes.

not even sure whats inside the body.. it could just be the motor, but it could equally be the board and drive shafts too.

No word on the parts bag either.

Definitely a Barry scrapyard job that one.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

i looked at it, but thought £95 was a bit high.

in addition to whats declared missing,

Non-runner, motor removed - Missing buffers, couplings, one axle box & three set of steps - Loose fuel tank

its additionally missing: 

All the side grills which ive not found a source for ( except cutting from a Hornby body).

Roof Grills

it also needs cab steps, front steps, cab mirrors, door and front hand rails, centre sand boxes.

not even sure whats inside the body.. it could just be the motor, but it could equally be the board and drive shafts too.

No word on the parts bag either.

Definitely a Barry scrapyard job that one.

Yup i did e mail and ask for a realistic price,it was we cannot move on this,as you point out theres nothing left worth that kind of money,cheers John.

• Like 1

Does anyone have a spare front valence (can be for coupler or not) for a DRS Plain Blue model or a central sandbox?

if you do have either of those spares, please drop me a message, cheers all!

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 04/04/2020 at 15:47, 'CHARD said:

I must have missed Accurascale's announcement of its Class 66.  

Interesting foresight given the subsequent developments in 2024!

• Like 1

Good Afternoon all, I hope I'm posting this in the right place & someone maybe able to help me. I have a DB Schenker Class 66 from Hattons & would love to give it DCC Sound, having watched a few videos on YouTube the sound that Hattons fitted to the 66 as standard was the stand out winner. Please can anyone who maybe aware point me in the direction of purchasing a sound chip that Hattons factory fitted to them in the first place & if possible could anyone please advise if there is a speaker already on the loco or would I have to purchase a speaker seperately? Many thanks in advance for any help or assistance, Kind Regards.

Edited by vanbasher
typo

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, vanbasher said:

Good Afternoon all, I hope I'm posting this in the right place & someone maybe able to help me. I have a DB Schenker Class 66 from Hattons & would love to give it DCC Sound, having watched a few videos on YouTube the sound that Hattons fitted to the 66 as standard was the stand out winner. Please can anyone who maybe aware point me in the direction of purchasing a sound chip that Hattons factory fitted to them in the first place & if possible could anyone please advise if there is a speaker already on the loco or would I have to purchase a speaker seperately? Many thanks in advance for any help or assistance, Kind Regards.

The DC ready ones did not have a speaker installed.

• Thanks 1