Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Midnight-Freight said:

It would be a shame if there wasn't another run. I was fortunate in that the one I bought was a goodun and I love it. With Bachmann updating their 37 and 47 I wonder if they're already working on a new 66. Hopefully Dapol's 59 will be a decent alternative.

I think next year will be year of the Tractor, judging by the Bachmann display case, but theres also year of the rat to follow..

Bachmann has a nice looking 25/2… so does SLW which is a tad overdue, and of course theres the Helja-rat to return again also.

As theres been a ton of 66’s and aside of Hattons, theres quite a lot still out there if Bachmann were to do another 66 my guess its a 2024+ thing… theres a class 69 in the Bachmann pipe too, and suspect that would hugely popular for a while… resting the 66 (by everyone) for a year might not be the worst thing.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 15/11/2022 at 14:16, The Fatadder said:

For mine the motor turned out to be ok, I wasnt paying attention when I dismantled it to get to the motor to test it, but it looks like the issue was either stemming from the axleboxes jamming it up or a miss fitted drive shaft.  Either way its now modified to remove the bit of spring that gets in the way, fitted with two 3d printed axle boxes from the CAD earlier in the thread (along with a 4 of my own design for the missing solebar steps), glue marks all came away easily without damaging the paint and the wing mirrors were removed / air dam modified to back date to as built condition.  Just need to get some new numbers / EWS logos on it now, hopefully all being well I will have them before Warley to use on the DEMU stand...B1D0BBF7-367C-4F79-8CF7-B7EE815DD97F.jpeg.2542867cf7996303284b06b2fa9900d7.jpeg

Done a good job there removing the Numbers and EWS.  What method have you used? 

On 01/12/2022 at 13:36, Hilux5972 said:

Is that young Dave who did product spotlight videos or slightly older Dave with beard and glasses? That’s a shame no more are planned. Would be good if they could sell the moulds to someone that would use them. 

I think if anyone did 66, then they would probably start from the ground up, so they could design out the Hattons issues,rather than buy someones tooling and bitting and bobbing would probably be more time consuming, problematic and thus expensive.   But I really, really, really like the Hattons 66, and great at £119!..... But I don't really need any more! And at what price point do you think a new batch will come in at.  

Some may try and keep below £200,but Bachmann and Hornby top spec Diesels are already at the 220-245 mark.  Those who picked Hattons 66s up, and stuck with them - in the long run probably got a good bargain, and they certainly look the part, plus with a little fettle run superbly to! 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 01/12/2022 at 10:54, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

While i was at Warley on Sunday i had five mins chat with Jack about the 66 and they still have the moldings for these according to him,Dave who started this tread is not working for Hattons as hes moved back to Ellis Clark Trains and was on there stand. Theres no more planed as far as things stand.

I also spoke to Richard (the boss) at the Hatton's stand, and he confirmed they still had the tooling, and more will be produced, but not in the same amount as before, and less to choose from.  They want to make sure the same quality issues don't happen again on the next batch.

Edited by jools1959
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I also spoke to Richard (the boss) at the Hatton's stand, and he confirmed they still had the tooling, and more will be produced, but not in the same amount as before, and less to choose from.  They want to make sure the same quality issues don't happen again on the next batch.

How very Accurascale of him,the business model is catching on,if the scrap line prices are out to go by it might be cheaper going for a real one, time will tell.

• RMweb Gold
On 09/12/2022 at 18:02, Torbay Express said:

Done a good job there removing the Numbers and EWS.  What method have you used? 

I used microsol as a softener and a cocktail stick with the end carved to approximately the shape of the groove between two ribs.

I then used a custom set of Railtec transfers to add the new ones before sealing with Klear.   the 66 remains one of the hardest locos to get the transfers to fit properly over the ribs though.

• RMweb Gold

Just a plug for this website, offers 3D Axleboxes for the class 66 amongst other parts generally, inc useful stuff like class 50 battery boxes, horns, eth cables etc.

https://www.track3drailwayparts.store

Specifically class 66 axleboxes

https://www.track3drailwayparts.store/products/replacement-hattons-class-66-rolling-wheel-bearing?_pos=2&_sid=766b4c48d&_ss=r

£7.99 + p&p

I spoke to him about steps and he thinks this is something he can make an improved version to fit as an alternative.

no connection, just a satisfied customer.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Just a plug for this website, offers 3D Axleboxes for the class 66 amongst other parts generally, inc useful stuff like class 50 battery boxes, horns, eth cables etc.

https://www.track3drailwayparts.store

Specifically class 66 axleboxes

https://www.track3drailwayparts.store/products/replacement-hattons-class-66-rolling-wheel-bearing?_pos=2&_sid=766b4c48d&_ss=r

£7.99 + p&p

I spoke to him about steps and he thinks this is something he can make an improved version to fit as an alternative.

no connection, just a satisfied customer.

i too have used this site and spoke to the owner about custom and specific items. He is very helpful and has some great bits on there too. Again no relation, just another satisfied customer 🙂

• Like 1

On 23/12/2022 at 17:12, The Fatadder said:

I used microsol as a softener and a cocktail stick with the end carved to approximately the shape of the groove between two ribs.

I then used a custom set of Railtec transfers to add the new ones before sealing with Klear.   the 66 remains one of the hardest locos to get the transfers to fit properly over the ribs though.

Thanks...... 

Klear, now that is a name from the past...... Tried numerous times to source to no avail.  Even bought a floor cleaning product once, but without the alleged effect! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Just thought I would mention that Hattons have class 66 axel boxes at £1 each (I just received 4) but I couldn't find them on the website except for a pack of 6 which it seems is not available, I had to call to find out they have them.

cheers

Bob

• Informative/Useful 1

On 28/12/2022 at 09:31, Torbay Express said:

Thanks...... 

Klear, now that is a name from the past...... Tried numerous times to source to no avail.  Even bought a floor cleaning product once, but without the alleged effect! 

Look out for Pledge Revive - alleged to be Klear rebranded.

(Can't vouch for it - I bought a lifetime's supply when it was announced that Klear would be discontinued).

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, scumcat said:

I’m a bit miffed today. I bought an orange freightliner 66 in March last year. Took it out to look lt over ran it once to check it didn’t wobble then I put it on a siding and there it has sat. Over the last year I’ve been concentrating on scenery. Picked it up today to move it and noticed this. A missing grill. I’ve searched the layout the shed and the loco box, nothing. What can I do? Does anyone know of a third party making such a thing? I know it’s hardly noticeable but still. If anyone has a scrap hattons 66 for spares I’d pay a good price for this grill.

2DC9B369-0B78-44BE-B1B0-37E16485CA9C.jpeg

Contact Hatton’s direct, I’m sure they can help.

• RMweb Premium

@scumcat I ended up buying one of the last Hattons 66s when they started offering the broken ones, to fix a similar missing grill. It was expensive, but I've got a few spares out of the purchase for my fleet of 66s  (if sadly not a suitable grill for you).

I've not seen anything that looks similar, so hopefully Hattons can help.

On 07/01/2023 at 17:01, cctransuk said:

Look out for Pledge Revive - alleged to be Klear rebranded.

(Can't vouch for it - I bought a lifetime's supply when it was announced that Klear would be discontinued).

CJI.

Just investigated......

Good news..... A modelling website does say that it is the same!

Bad news..... apparently stopped making it in January 2022!

Why.......oh why...... 

Revive seems to be as light or dark wood oils now, instead of the Revive Gloss! 

On 12/01/2023 at 22:12, scumcat said:

I’m a bit miffed today. I bought an orange freightliner 66 in March last year. Took it out to look lt over ran it once to check it didn’t wobble then I put it on a siding and there it has sat. Over the last year I’ve been concentrating on scenery. Picked it up today to move it and noticed this. A missing grill. I’ve searched the layout the shed and the loco box, nothing. What can I do? Does anyone know of a third party making such a thing? I know it’s hardly noticeable but still. If anyone has a scrap hattons 66 for spares I’d pay a good price for this grill.

2DC9B369-0B78-44BE-B1B0-37E16485CA9C.jpeg

Praise where its due..... Good old Hornby ones spotted below.  Totally wrong shade of blue,but grilles firmly attached........

2 hours ago, scumcat said:

I have a Hornby 66 and a 59, a Bachmann 66 and a hattons 66. I probably run the Hornby ones more because they cause me the least issues. Mechanically simple so less to go wrong.

I still love my....... 

IMG_20230117_131912.jpg.c813af7ddced6e53ea02a4e0e0025ad3.jpg

A few GBRf's in the fleet...... 

IMG_20230117_132416.jpg.167d148d4d8990e65949cd39743118fb.jpg

..... Perhaps I should join Sheds Annonymous, although as part of my 'therapy' I may thin them out a little to make room for a Class 69 and GBRf Class 50's.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 24/05/2020 at 22:13, Dicky L said:

Yes several times with all 4 of them. I am really hoping some other ECoS users might have the answer to this or at least confirm my findings. 

@Dicky L did you get to the bottom of this? I have the same issue, started yesterday for me out the blue!

• RMweb Premium
On 24/05/2020 at 10:15, Dicky L said:

If this subject on the Hattons 66 has been covered before in the previous 131 pages I apologise for raising it here. 

This post relates to the factory sound fitted versions of the model of which you will probably know I have one or two. I would also stress this is not in anyway a complaint because the sound does exactly what it should and is in my opinion exceptional. 

I use the ECoS Command Station for my layout and the sound decoder reads as Generic NMRA in my controller as per the photo below. Now before anyway asks my ECoS is using the latest firmware. 

I was under the impression either rightly or wrongly that the factory fitted sound decoder is a Loksound 5. Hattons themselves refer to the decoder as DCR-SND-66 Suresound Chip with Rail Rumble Speaker. My question here is what do other people’s controllers identify the sound Decoder as, and perhaps more importantly is my controller reading it correctly?

3C784F46-77D0-4B23-864C-CD4E8CC0272B.jpeg

I would guess if anyone can SHED some light on this its @charliepetty.......hes the man on issues like this.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

I would guess if anyone can SHED some light on this its @charliepetty.......hes the man on issues like this.

I expect the best thing to do would be to try one with a LokProgrammer. It will be the most reliable way of identifying the decoder.

For example, if an ECoS isn't up to date then the V5 might be to new for it to ID the exact decoder perhaps?

Assuming the LokProgrammer software is up to date it should be able to ID ESU stuff easily. It does so with the Bachmann branded Lokpilot Basic/Select/whatever they were too.

• Thanks 1