Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, TomScrut said:

At what point does madness convert itself to genius?

Madness, pure madness,

I take no credit.

my inspirations were Dai Woodham, and Strategic reserve.

i’m simply bringing the dead …
DE95D3C9-AFD2-44D5-A68D-5EE94F329FC8.jpeg.96e0ab4b8e8bb4feac8baf92991780eb.jpeg

back to life…

E87CF517-DF30-4D7E-A3C4-6F95F2F2FB4C.jpeg.e5ee41d74d12c01093f81c6d3fc98dd8.jpeg

its taking me forever as I get bored / distracted, such by a 90002 conversion and an 86101 i’m looking at next to it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Yes but errr that was the one I selected to be my christmas tree for my others…

DBF715FE-2FEC-460A-A875-ACAA7F509434.jpeg.d20eea012f10d2bbba4a50dbf71f9b99.jpeg369B5D65-7F3C-4DA1-9BF2-4C7CB84E9013.jpeg.83a404072a8ce01121800cecbeec82b7.jpeg

ive already had the motor, both drive shafts, two gearbox lids, one light track, dcc chip, cab windows on one end, cab lights off one end, all the cab footsteps, 1 buffer, 1 front airdam step.

When its in 1 piece it reminds me of that ghost hulk in Stoke.

Black Class 66/0, 66048

(flickr url)

I still have dibs on the side grills, 1 handrail and the axleboxes for a 66587 restoration i’m in progress of doing.

The ones i’m likely to have spare, are FL, EWS, DRS, GBRF and DB as I bought multiples of them, FL especially.

But it does have a very good box 😀

Looks salvageable to me 🤣

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Looks salvageable to me 🤣

Looking at the Hattons scrapyard, I think mine boneyarder goes up in value the more pieces I remove… I think that was Dai Woodhams strategy too.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

Hi All

I'm just getting around to fitting sound to some of my 66's purchased back in 2020 and so far, 6 out of 7 have been fine.  Now I'm on the last loco, I have found an issue with the lighting.  I did try to do a search on RMWeb to see if there was a solution but maybe my wording was wrong since nothing related showed up.

I've got a model of 66301 in DRS livery and have added an ESU V5.  The loco runs well (after I've modified the axle boxes) and sound works great.  The issue I've now got is that I get the correct lights while moving forward but no tail lights on the other end.  When I change direction, instead of showing tail lights, the lighting board shows a single marker.  Using the relevant functions on the decoder, I can't get tail lights to show at all and can't switch between day and night running.  I've set all the switches to the correct position as per the instructions.

IMG_5804.JPG.97eb792eb052d127fd8a70d090d97993.JPG

IMG_5805.JPG.8459bdabaa4a7d829d734481b9f16913.JPG

I have cross checked the wiring with another Hattons 66 which works perfectly, re-flowed all the solder joints, checked for shorts, etc, but can't find anything obviously wrong or different to cause this issue.

Has anyone experienced similar?  If so, what was the solution to fix it?

Thanks

Martin

EDIT: I think I may have been slipped a non MKL V5 chip into the batch I bought as I've just tested with a chip fitted to another 66 and all is well.

Edited by Rammstein2609
Update to solution
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rammstein2609 said:

non MKL V5 chip

The difference here is powered outputs on output 5 and 6 (Aux 3 and 4 on V5) instead of logical on the standard V5. 

Having dug up this old post

I aren't 100% sure if it is the MKL/non MKL you suggest, as I think the affected outputs are for the day mode headlights, not the tail lights. It might be a dodgy decoder or it's function mapping at fault.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rammstein2609 said:

Hi All

I'm just getting around to fitting sound to some of my 66's purchased back in 2020 and so far, 6 out of 7 have been fine.  Now I'm on the last loco, I have found an issue with the lighting.  I did try to do a search on RMWeb to see if there was a solution but maybe my wording was wrong since nothing related showed up.

I've got a model of 66301 in DRS livery and have added an ESU V5.  The loco runs well (after I've modified the axle boxes) and sound works great.  The issue I've now got is that I get the correct lights while moving forward but no tail lights on the other end.  When I change direction, instead of showing tail lights, the lighting board shows a single marker.  Using the relevant functions on the decoder, I can't get tail lights to show at all and can't switch between day and night running.  I've set all the switches to the correct position as per the instructions.

IMG_5804.JPG.97eb792eb052d127fd8a70d090d97993.JPG

IMG_5805.JPG.8459bdabaa4a7d829d734481b9f16913.JPG

I have cross checked the wiring with another Hattons 66 which works perfectly, re-flowed all the solder joints, checked for shorts, etc, but can't find anything obviously wrong or different to cause this issue.

Has anyone experienced similar?  If so, what was the solution to fix it?

Thanks

Martin

EDIT: I think I may have been slipped a non MKL V5 chip into the batch I bought as I've just tested with a chip fitted to another 66 and all is well.

I'm sure I had this problem using the wrong 21 pin chip. In any case I remember changing the wiring to link up to a 10 function decoder to allow seperate markers, night, day, tail and cab lights for each end

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, wairoa said:

I have 2 Hattons 66s. The pink one and the orange. Both are my favorite 66 schemes. I kick myself now for not buying at least one more when I had the opportunity.

Ahh hindsight,i just wish i had invested the shirt off my back into Elon Musk shares back in 2004,i got my share of 66 models luckly when they were good value.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

4 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Ahh hindsight,i just wish i had invested the shirt off my back into Elon Musk shares back in 2004,i got my share of 66 models luckly when they were good value.

Could be worse. My neighbor mined bit coin when it first started. He thought it would never amount to anything and got rid of it all. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

I think I mentioned on here before but don’t recall any solutions at the time…

Has anyone found an easy solution to the coupling cams having a lot of slop in them? I’m finding all of my H66s seem to suffer same issue when using Kadees - under load the coupling cam allows flexing upward to point where uncoupling randomly occurs.

I had one in pieces last night and thought I’d improved the cam but probs recurred. In the end I’ve effectively narrowed the buffer beam slot slightly so coupling movement upward is reduced but wondered if anyone found anything more elegant.

thanks,

Matt

5 hours ago, Matt said:

I think I mentioned on here before but don’t recall any solutions at the time…

Has anyone found an easy solution to the coupling cams having a lot of slop in them? I’m finding all of my H66s seem to suffer same issue when using Kadees - under load the coupling cam allows flexing upward to point where uncoupling randomly occurs.

I had one in pieces last night and thought I’d improved the cam but probs recurred. In the end I’ve effectively narrowed the buffer beam slot slightly so coupling movement upward is reduced but wondered if anyone found anything more elegant.

thanks,

Matt

I didn't like the cam either and ended up replacing. Not sure it's more elegant but the kadee is now mounted to the chassis with a 10ba bolt. Needs a hole drilling for this.

1688949895_2021-08-0716_55_20.jpg.7fdec63d29be9cbc56b82425674f411b.jpg

Allows a full deflector to be used if you cut a hole in one

94671114_2021-08-2522_28_46.jpg.b2bca175ddfcdadd6a0612947d2c0b2a.jpg

Probably not the easiest solution out there but wasn't that difficult and I did my four all at the same time.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/10/2022 at 13:00, The Fatadder said:

Has anyone tried paint matching to the Hattons shade of EWS red?  I’m looking for a second hand EWS example but most have the wing mirrors which would need removing and the associated holes filling

Hi

The holes are that small that any Ews maroon would cover it, if applied on the end of a cocktail stick.

66005 is the only EWS version I can find that doesn't have mirrors. Hth. 

Edited by Lowlander
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I was going to ask in the wanted section, but here seems a good place to ask first.  My EWS 66 is only coming with a full bufferbeam/ air dam at one end only.  The other having the coupling cut out.

I don’t suppose anyone who has an EWS 66 but uses tension locks would like to sell / swap their spare full depth part?  It’s intended for a 66125 model (but the original design from the 66005 would be preferable as I will be needing to add the missing lashing eyes/ remove the buckeye bits)

No longer an issue, the loco turned up today and has an unopened detail pack included so I have two full air dams at least (and the two tension lock version will provide spares for missing steps / the other side's lashing eyes.)

The model was sold as a non runner, sound removed, glue on the cab roof, missing axleboxes and a loose handrail.

A quick check at lunch had the glue on the roof easily removed, the two axle boxes are both on one side (and will be easy enough to print replacements for), no idea which handrail is so say loose as they are all stuck in firmly (unless it was refering to the solbar step handrail, all of which are missing).  Sadly the sound bits were unsurprisingly removed as described.  This evening I just need to work out why it wont work, the motor is fine at least and the bogies turn over with just a little resistance so gut feel is that its a pick up issue.  (then its a case of fault finding on the axle boxes to ensure they are all working properly, along with removing the mirrors and renumbering.)  Suppose testing the lighting would be sensible as well....

With the exception of the colour (the EWS maroon looks odd) I am impressed with the model, wish I had got one a little sooner (and managed to get the non wing mirror example I actually wanted).  Now giving serious thought as to whether I respray it the right colour...

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 01/11/2022 at 13:07, The Fatadder said:

This evening I just need to work out why it wont work, the motor is fine at least and the bogies turn over with just a little resistance so gut feel is that its a pick up issue.  

See my post a few pages back, Ive bought a dozen non runners, everyone had the same issue… the brushes arent assembled in the motor can correctly to touch the commutator… 2 minute fix (plus about 10 minutes getting into the motor cradle and reassembling the board the motor).

worst case, Dapol 73, Hornby 87 motors are the exact same spec, but so far ive not needed to use any. Heljans 25/26/27/33 motor will also fit but is higher rpm. If you need a drive shaft, or a gear box cover, Dapols 121 parts can be made to do the job.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Just done some scrapyard shopping. 
There surely isnt anymore after this lot.

For the ones under £100, it looks like most (except g&w) are missing cab foot steps. I understand someone is working on a redesigned 3D print set of replacement steps.

Most are also missing grills, which i’m not aware of replacement currently. For side grills any will suffice (and G&W looks a good sacrificial lamb). However there are two types of roof grill, the smaller, a Bachmann 66 could suffice. The larger Ive not seen a candidate, other than another 66 and a respray to black.

Freightliner swoosh grills maybe a challenge.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

See my post a few pages back, Ive bought a dozen non runners, everyone had the same issue… the brushes arent assembled in the motor can correctly to touch the commutator… 2 minute fix (plus about 10 minutes getting into the motor cradle and reassembling the board the motor).

worst case, Dapol 73, Hornby 87 motors are the exact same spec, but so far ive not needed to use any. Heljans 25/26/27/33 motor will also fit but is higher rpm. If you need a drive shaft, or a gear box cover, Dapols 121 parts can be made to do the job.

For mine the motor turned out to be ok, I wasnt paying attention when I dismantled it to get to the motor to test it, but it looks like the issue was either stemming from the axleboxes jamming it up or a miss fitted drive shaft.  Either way its now modified to remove the bit of spring that gets in the way, fitted with two 3d printed axle boxes from the CAD earlier in the thread (along with a 4 of my own design for the missing solebar steps), glue marks all came away easily without damaging the paint and the wing mirrors were removed / air dam modified to back date to as built condition.  Just need to get some new numbers / EWS logos on it now, hopefully all being well I will have them before Warley to use on the DEMU stand...B1D0BBF7-367C-4F79-8CF7-B7EE815DD97F.jpeg.2542867cf7996303284b06b2fa9900d7.jpeg

• Like 5

On 05/10/2022 at 20:12, PieGuyRob said:

Hoe do they justify selling a sound fitted example, which has had the speaker and decoder removed, and, has issues for more than a DCC ready one cost brand new, when that is effectively what you are getting? In my own opinion, non of them should be over £150, that being the price of a brand new DCC ready version. I'm obviously missing something. Sorry rant over.

Competition.
There is next to none for this loco in this standard.

How can Lurpak justify selling butter for £7 / £8 a tub, or a 61p price hike in Heinz Tomato Ketchup?

Maybe the fact people bought these returns and such at very low prices has shown Hattons people will pay, so hike the price and get more profit.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Competition.
There is next to none for this loco in this standard.

How can Lurpak justify selling butter for £7 / £8 a tub, or a 61p price hike in Heinz Tomato Ketchup?

Maybe the fact people bought these returns and such at very low prices has shown Hattons people will pay, so hike the price and get more profit.

It maybe cat and mouse pricing….

Overall demand for good 66’s has gone up.

If they were made in the future I doubt it would be less than £180, some have sold dcc ready in excess of £200.

Ergo, the bad ones inflate on the spectrum accordingly.

However the value of a knacker, is dependant on the buyers need for bits, or ability to use those bits, which maybe more or less to each individual’s needs and ability..

i’d argue a good body, in a box with a parts bag is probably worth £60. Its comparable to Bachmanns body pricing too. After that whats the bottom worth.., all depends whats left of it. Trouble is the bodys are somewhat stripped too, which means buying more than one to make a good’un…. Thats down to the consumer to work out what makes a good’un… and whats the remains of a bad’un worth… if the sum is greater than buying them as is..and your able to “have ago” then its a gain.

Hattons 66’s seem to be a little cherished by their owners, theres not masses of them out there. I suspect the demics will circulate in greater volume as carcasses are stripped further, much like we see in older models.

But if you need bits, there is no “spares” library… its a carcass now or wait for ebay in the future… 

Theres 26 left, I think there was around 50 a week or so back, most went today for sure. Looking at whats left, none below £100 have all their grills, steps and some have lighting issues.. so I suspect will struggle. Indeed of the ones above £100 most of them are missing steps too.. it seems the G&W ones with “another” are the best combo remaining.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

While i was at Warley on Sunday i had five mins chat with Jack about the 66 and they still have the moldings for these according to him,Dave who started this tread is not working for Hattons as hes moved back to Ellis Clark Trains and was on there stand. Theres no more planed as far as things stand.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Dave who started this tread is not working for Hattons as hes moved back to Ellis Clark Trains and was on their stand. Theres no more planed as far as things stand.

Is that young Dave who did product spotlight videos or slightly older Dave with beard and glasses? That’s a shame no more are planned. Would be good if they could sell the moulds to someone that would use them. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Is that young Dave who did product spotlight videos or slightly older Dave with beard and glasses? That’s a shame no more are planned. Would be good if they could sell the moulds to someone that would use them. 

Young Dave who did the shows with Jack,not Dave Mylet who was the project manager on the sound files video for you tube with colas 66847.