Rapido LB&SCR Class E1 0-6-0T

sem34090

10 minutes ago, Forester said:

Disappointed Rapido follow the herd in having polished copper pipes on unlined black BR workaday minor steam locos. ...

5 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

... I'm sure the folk at Rapido will have had time to reflect on the error of their ways.

... if the error was pointed out to them at the time, of course.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

... if the error was pointed out to them at the time, of course.

They're a clever enough bunch to spot it for themselves within five minutes of publishing the images.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Forester said:

Disappointed Rapido follow the herd in having polished copper pipes on unlined black BR workaday minor steam locos.

The only place I ever saw polished copper pipes in the 1950s was in posh gents' loos.

Otherwise a nice looking model.

Question - would  the pipes have been copper, and covered in a layer of grime? Or a different colour entirely?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Forester said:

Disappointed Rapido follow the herd in having polished copper pipes on unlined black BR workaday minor steam locos.

The only place I ever saw polished copper pipes in the 1950s was in posh gents' loos.

Otherwise a nice looking model.

Well, it's nothing a bit of weathering can't resolve if it is a problem for the individual. 

On a positive at least Rapido know who to approach for advice should they decide to produce a model of a posh 1950s gents' loo. 

Every cloud has a copper lining. 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
Sausage hooves
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Jack P said:

Question - would  the pipes have been copper, and covered in a layer of grime? Or a different colour entirely?

Hi Jack,

As you know, most SR loco's have exposed copper piping around the boiler. I have looked at many, many images of SR loco's in the BR period for loco building. I conclude that, occasionally pipes were painted, but usually not but very quickly, as you suspect, received a layer of grime. I think Rob's response is spot on.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Well, it's nothing a bit of weathering can't resolve if it is a problem for the individual. 

On a positive at least Rapido know who to approach for advice should they decide to produce a model of a posh 1950s gents' loo. 

Every cloud has a copper lining. 

Rob

Rob, I'm genuinely interested.

Why do you want a model of a black workaday loco with bright polished pipework when hardly anyone would have seen one in this condition when it left the works yard?

• Like 1

Every model manufacturer has to choose whether to make their products in ex-works condition or 'weathered' ............... and as every loco ( etc.) would have weathered differently to the the next one it's far simpler to offer ex-works. Moreover, it's a pig of a job to match factory weathering should the purchaser wish to renumber his / her model !

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Forester said:

Rob, I'm genuinely interested.

Why do you want a model of a black workaday loco with bright polished pipework when hardly anyone would have seen one in this condition when it left the works yard?

I really don't see the drama with it. It's very easy to deal with polished bits on a model loco. I weather mine but if you don't like a weathered loco then it's a case of out with the black paint. 

From a manufacturers point of view, it's easier to produce one set of polished clacks and pipes ( as an example ) which they can use across all models than trying to cater for all idiosyncrasies. 

But everyone has things they cannot or will not accept. 

If you're so perturbed by it then you have my sympathy if this aspect of the model prevents you buying one. 

Or am I easily pleased ? 

Rob. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 11
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Final artwork is still subject to change pending the CAD being signed off.

They might be ex-works, they might not be. There is always a balance to be struck.

Exactly.

I have just ordered one anyway. My loco will be 32160 which was shedded at 70D in 1950/51, my layout is of 70D (Basingstoke) and I am aiming for an example of all the loco's shedded there in the BR period.

As far as I can tell from images, 32160 was one of the "modified" E1's with the front splasher sandboxs removed together with the smokebox wing plates and four sandboxes fitted to the frame each side of the centre driving wheel. Sods law, so when I get my, no doubt, wonderful E1, I will be chopping it around a bit. Sorry!

Keep up the good work,

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

19 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Final artwork is still subject to change pending the CAD being signed off.

They might be ex-works, they might not be. There is always a balance to be struck.

Not sure about balance between ex-works and in-service. Would this be 50/50 in your view?

Because in real experience we would see an ex-works loco once in a blue moon. So much so it would be recorded in one's diary.

I also take issue with calling it weathering. Bright work dulled down within hours on a hot loco, long before the paintwork started to show weathering from trackside dirt, oil and grease.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Forester said:

Not sure about balance between ex-works and in-service. Would this be 50/50 in your view?

Because in real experience we would see an ex-works loco once in a blue moon. So much so it would be recorded in one's diary.

I also take issue with calling it weathering. Bright work dulled down within hours on a hot loco, long before the paintwork started to show weathering from trackside dirt, oil and grease.

IMG_0079.png.9278eedf01190e1c35c6a636138d076d.png

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Forester said:

To balance that, C19 loco-cleaners were much more affordable, although whether it was then the necessary start of a footplate career, as it had become a century ago, I do not know. 

• Like 1

On 29/07/2023 at 02:56, Jack P said:

Have you got any "copper" coins? Leave one outside for a bit.

Look at what colour they go after a while. Same with brass and bronze they naturally gain a green patina.

Now consider how quickly that would change being exposed to extremes of heat, cold, sun and rain. You soon end up with something like this. Then you'll get layers of dirt added to the mix.

spacer.png

Must admit I'm in the "ex Works" camp. Factory weathering rarely looks convincing IMHO. If they were leaving Brighton after overhaul in the 1950s with polished (or more likely new) pipes then that is what they should have (and I do appreciate that only a few lasted that long).

Jason

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Given that you can't really un-weather a model ones it has been Grimed, it really does only make sense to sell pristine models... For us to subsequently dirty-up to our preferred level of muckiness.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Forester said:

Not sure what the point is that you are labouring here and if you are only taking issue with this particular manufactuer and or this particular model ? 

Perhaps this should form the subject of a separate thread.......  ? 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Toot toot

e1_3d_print_001.jpg.jpg

These look tremendous, thanks Corbs. Cab detail is lovely but overall, there's no mistaking that it's a very nice looking loco. 

Rob

• Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Darius43 said:

IMG_0079.png.9278eedf01190e1c35c6a636138d076d.png

Cheers

Darius

Optimist - it’s half full

Pessimist - it’s half empty

Forgetfull - where’s the other half gone?

Realist - it’s a glass with water in it

Physicist - half liquid, half gas

Engineer - the glass is twice the size it needs to be

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Forester said:

Collecting pristine locos is a huge part of the hobby and if you like them weathered the degree of wear is so huge that you just can’t please everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

I’m afraid that I must take issue with the 3D printed model and express how disappointed I am !
I had three of these lovely models on order and after seeing the latest newsletter now have 4 !!

Btw personal preference regarding ex works or weathered, I would vote for ex works as 

factory weathering is seldom convincing.

• Agree 3

21 minutes ago, Eddie the dog said:

Btw personal preference regarding ex works or weathered, I would vote for ex works as 

factory weathering is seldom convincing.

I was not making an "ex-works" versus "weathered" comment.

I was pointing out that by the time the loco was actually Ex works the brightwork was usually already dull.

It isn't an issue with earlier colourful liveries and it is not so glaring in BR green,  but it grates (for me) on a BR black loco.

Just my view.