Rapido LB&SCR Class E1 0-6-0T

sem34090

• RMweb Premium

Point taken, very difficult to strike a balance.

For example, gloss finish on OO gauge tends to look toy like and how matt or satin the finish

is personal preference.

I assume it’s similar with ex-works or in service ?

Best to customise these things I guess.

Anyway, don’t wish to go off topic here.

Thanks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Optimist - it’s half full

Pessimist - it’s half empty

Forgetfull - where’s the other half gone?

Realist - it’s a glass with water in it

Physicist - half liquid, half gas

Engineer - the glass is twice the size it needs to be

JShow: Wait. There's a glass? No one ever told me there's a glass. 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 29/07/2023 at 08:22, 30368 said:

Hi Jack,

As you know, most SR loco's have exposed copper piping around the boiler. I have looked at many, many images of SR loco's in the BR period for loco building. I conclude that, occasionally pipes were painted, but usually not but very quickly, as you suspect, received a layer of grime. I think Rob's response is spot on.

Kind regards,

Richard B

I've just been looking through one of the colour Isle of Wight albums, and there are plenty of photos in there in which the visible pipework is clearly of a coppery colour. Unfortunately the only shot of an E1 is a rear 3/4, so no pipework visible!

The DJM/Kernow O2s went a bit far with the brightwork IMHO, as they included the trim around the cab cut-out that was usually painted - but it was easy enough to run a thin black wash over the pipework to give it a grimy look. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Can I just seek clarity on which of the engines on pre-order are for Maunsell era, what their liveries are and what years they would have carried those liveries / numbers? I’ve taken a stab at it - would welcome corrections….

B96 Marsh Umber:

Brown with yellow lining, presumably covers grouping (or just after for the addition of B prefix) until early 1930s when she would have been painted Southern black

and renumbered? (presumably to 2196 or 2960??)

B142 Southern Black:

Black, no lining, covering grouping (or a few years after for the addition of B prefix + new Southern Black livery) until early 1930s when she would have been renumbered to 2142?

2151 Southern Black:

black, no lining, early 1930s onwards after she had been renumbered from being 151?

113 (Train Times exclusive):

black, lined red, c.1910 - 1928 when she was then repainted to Southern Black and renumbered to B113?

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Olive_Green1923 said:

B142 Southern Black:

Black, no lining, covering grouping (or a few years after for the addition of B prefix + new Southern Black livery) until early 1930s when she would have been renumbered to 2142?

The initial SR freight livery was actually lined black - but as the lining was just green lining it tended to be hard to spot when the engine got dirty and was done away with in the 1930s changes that saw the B prefix replaced with the addition of 2000 to the numbers instead.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Obviously, I'm looking forward to the LB&SCR Brake van which is being worked on to accompany the E1...............

Rob

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

On 31/07/2023 at 10:37, Nick C said:

The DJM/Kernow O2s went a bit far with the brightwork IMHO, as they included the trim around the cab cut-out that was usually painted - but it was easy enough to run a thin black wash over the pipework to give it a grimy look. 

Having cleaned that trim many a time, I was glad to see it nice and shiny on my model! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

.... and the R/R1 0-6-0T ( etc.)  to go with the SECR brake van ( etc.) ......

Prefer a Stirling cabbed 01......or any 01 actually. 

Rob

• Like 4

On 08/09/2023 at 00:48, NHY 581 said:

Obviously, I'm looking forward to the LB&SCR Brake van which is being worked on to accompany the E1...............

Rob

It's probably vans plural........Billinton 6 wheeler and Stroudley Lantern.

Must stop taking these strange little pills!

Craig.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/09/2023 at 11:04, wainwright1 said:

Any chance that the New Cross Locomotive Depot version might come out in the main range.

I think just a plain black loco with the lettering on, so could be made as a short run of a hundred or so ?

All the best

Ray

Perhaps if you find 99 friends and all write to Rapido with enclosed deposits :P 

It's a shame the Train Times models got cancelled, I imagine it's frustrating for all parties involved! 

Having had a think, and being indecisive in my decision making and verbally expressing this the Domestic Authorities intervened. Her enthusiasm was boundless when asked why I was looking up the colours in "The Southern Way, Vol. 2" - and a discussion of enlightenment was cut short by the decree "in a choice of Brown (Umber), Babysick (Improved Engine Green) or Holly Green (Goods Green) - you should by the green one." and thus with the blessing bestowed upon me and the further declaration that we shall speak of this no-more, I ordered #127 "Poitiers". 😆

Of course... should I be able to order another couple of locomotives, Umber and then IEG are both on the list... unless Goods Black makes a return!
I have to say when looking at the selected locomotives I had some difficulty finding a name I liked, none of them jumped out at me. Its probably why Umber #137 would be the next preferred locomotive.

Kind Regards,
Gary

Edited by Matloughe
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Matloughe said:

"in a choice of Brown (Umber), Babysick (Improved Engine Green) or Holly Green (Goods Green) - you should by the green one." 

One wonders whether either the first or second Mrs Stroudley expressed any views on locomotive livery? 

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/William_Stroudley (conflicting information about his first wife).

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick question for those in the know, when I placed the pre-order for SKU936005 back in August last year the listed identity was 110, I've only just spotted that this has been changed to B96. As want these days quickly out-strips available spending power I'm having to limit myself to preserved / original condition of preserved examples and was wondering if there are plans in a future production run for 110 / Burgundy in LBSC livery (W2 on order via the IOW shop).
Thanks,
Chris.

• 2 months later...