Accurascale on tour

2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I assembled four of them this afternoon - they're the biz!

Thanks for the link. They look ok but the distinctive bits appear to be missing.  🙂

It's making up these bits that does my head in.  I'm sure accurascales cad boys could manage it.

Cflat-L-ContShkl-001-EditSm.jpg.3bc8782d53aed7b0f63cead11c8d19d8.jpg

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

The 769s are different from each other, although the TFW and Northern ones are close to a 319, but sufficiently different to involve interesting tooling. The GWR 769/9s would involve completely different toolings rather than simple mods to 319 tooling. 

The 769 change-over is not that special, no special noises or alarms unlike the 800 process, and the raising / lowering of the pantographs are independent of the changeover process (sounds odd but it’s true).

I would love a 769/9 in GWR colours, but it would be a lot of work!

Simon

Can you help me on that (769/9 vs 769/4 ?)

I can understand the underfloor being different (but many model companies just glue on those components).
A quick look at pictures I see new light clusters, and a couple have started with a roof mounted light.

What are the other differences ? I always thought them very similar.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Thanks for the link. They look ok but the distinctive bits appear to be missing.  🙂

It's making up these bits that does my head in.  I'm sure accurascales cad boys could manage it.

Patience - it's being worked on!

CJI.

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Can you help me on that (769/9 vs 769/4 ?)

I can understand the underfloor being different (but many model companies just glue on those components).
A quick look at pictures I see new light clusters, and a couple have started with a roof mounted light.

What are the other differences ? I always thought them very similar.

Hi,

There are enough small but significant changes to the 769/9s:

- New lighting clusters 

- New end roof mounted wireless multiple working connections (not lights)

- 3rd Rail Beams are now on the inner bogies of the DTSO / DTCOs rather than outer ones

- New Body mounted DOO CCTV cameras

- New Air Cooling Roof Ventilators

- Extra internal luggage racks

- New FFCCTV cameras in the Cabs

- Additional SDO / DOO screens in Cabs

- Cab Desks reduce in depth

- Additional Change-Over Contactor equipment on Motor and Trailer vehicle under frames.

- New TCODs on Leading Bogies (although these are probably on the 769/4s as well)

- New PIS on Cab fronts 

I’m sure there are some other differences, but I can remember them now.

Simon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 06/11/2022 at 23:59, Porcy Mane said:

Meanwhile, in a field, on the Norfolk side of the Suffolk border…a late build, vac fitted Conflat L 

9F96AE68-916A-4609-BA42-63A5ED46B35D.jpeg.a887f90cfa06efa54a602eb45b247864.jpeg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Axlebox said:

Meanwhile, in a field, on the Norfolk side of the Suffolk border…a late build, vac fitted Conflat L 

So you haven't managed to get it back into the deepest depths of Northumberland yet.

Wish I had a pound for every Conflat L that traversed this crossing.

DoggyHighLine.jpg.cd57767a5f4b5bb1fb7859c8d627b292.jpg

I'd accept 20p for everyConflat L that passes over the crossing about 20 yards further down the bank.

Come to think of it, didn't I see you riding a quad over that crossing a few weeks ago? Aren't you getting a bit owld for that type of thing?

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tankerman said:

Re suggestions for locos, I've got both my steel helmet and running shoes on ready for the reactions, how about an Accurascale standard model of a Class 42/43 Warship?

I would like those, but I am not sure that they would be a wise choice. There are other classes that would sell in greater numbers. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but last time Bachmann did them they hung around for ages and ended up being heavily discounted so I doubt it's a good option to be honest.

TBH it’s a bit niche product, you have to model WR and pre 1972 to have these (except Rule1 🤣) I have a few and would love an update to modern standards but I am also a realist and don’t expect these to be in AS current plans and there are a few low hanging fruits to go at first. Perhaps one day Bachmann might update especially a good 42 to modern standards but I don’t expect these too soon 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, younGGuns7 said:

TBH it’s a bit niche product, you have to model WR and pre 1972 to have these (except Rule1 🤣) I have a few and would love an update to modern standards but I am also a realist and don’t expect these to be in AS current plans and there are a few low hanging fruits to go at first. Perhaps one day Bachmann might update especially a good 42 to modern standards but I don’t expect these too soon 

Or SR …. Or LMR ….. but agree probably not top priority for the market at the moment

1 hour ago, younGGuns7 said:

Any more niche than anything else though? 

Just picking the Accurascale projects.

Only 22 Deltics and they only really worked on two lines for almost their entire careers which was very short. ECML and Trans Pennine. 

You could argue the same for the equally limited Manors. Thirty built and only worked in a few parts of the GWR/WR and most of their appeal is that so many of them survived.

They're hardly 8Fs, MR 2Fs, 57XXs, DX Goods, Cauliflowers, etc. that were built in their hundreds and/or lasted for decades.

Niche sells, ordinary doesn't, otherwise all the manufacturers would be churning out black 0-6-0s.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Pixie said:

I believe it’s their Product Manager’s favourite class, make of that what you will.

Pix

You obviously speak with authority 😇  But which/whose Class 42? 🤪

This one? -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRB_Class_42#/media/File:Baureihe_42_im_BEM_Nördlingen.jpg

Or would it just be A 42? -

https://irishrailwaymodels.com/products/a42-a-class-locomotive

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Only 22 Deltics and they only really worked on two lines for almost their entire careers which was very short. ECML and Trans Pennine. 

ECML express locos/trains nearly always do well though, and compared to Warships still had significantly longer lives. I expect those modelling ECML from 1961 to 1982 are far greater in number than Western region from 1958 to 1972. Especially given that the Deltics were around for all of Era 7 for those who just buy on era rather than a date.

15 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Niche sells, ordinary doesn't, otherwise all the manufacturers would be churning out black 0-6-0s.

I don't think it's as simple as that.

Niche 1 offs and rarities seem to sell. Stuff that was just another loco but small in number/lifetime is another thing I think.

But if people bought proportionately against numbers made/on the network, then most of us interested in post 2000 running would need 5x class 66s than anything else, which I doubt any of us do.

• Like 1

On 14/11/2022 at 11:10, TomScrut said:

But if people bought proportionately against numbers made/on the network, then most of us interested in post 2000 running would need 5x class 66s than anything else, which I doubt any of us do.

Five Class 66s is a lot? Oh dear!  😇

I don't even model "modern" yet have more than five Class 66`s. All Bachmann. Well over 20 Class 47s of various makes. Similar number of 37s. 

That's not including all the other classes that I have in double figures. Worth remembering many of us have been doing this thing for many decades and we aren't all impoverished children getting one model each year from Santa.

Jason

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I meant 5 for every other type of loco, given if you sit at the side of a main line nowadays that's probably what you'll see proportionally.

It depends where you are:

Today's trainspotting (work and home)

3x66 (one of them twice), 1x 60, 2x37 (one WCRC, one Colas) 2x 68 (twice). The regular 70 is currently diverted due to the Petterill Bridge incident.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 14/11/2022 at 11:10, TomScrut said:

ECML express locos/trains nearly always do well though, and compared to Warships still had significantly longer lives. I expect those modelling ECML from 1961 to 1982 are far greater in number than Western region from 1958 to 1972. Especially given that the Deltics were around for all of Era 7 for those who just buy on era rather than a date.

Not only chronological issues affecting popularity of diesel classes…. A paucity of photos of diesels in the 60s suggests that many enthusiasts only photographed steam and hung up their cameras when steam finished. Diesel classes that became extinct before the mid to late 70s are subject to this …. Along with the additional burden that many were hated as they displaced much loved steam locos. It was really the demise of the Westerns that made folks wake up to what was being … and had already been …. lost.

On top of this across all eras is the distortion of selective photography…. Crack passenger trains always attracted much more exposure than humble freights.

The distorted view of locomotive history provided by historical photographs is probably a large factor in the popularity of locomotive subjects for historical modellers …. Suspect this has now changed however with most class 1 services provided by units which are not so popular….

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I don't even model "modern" yet have more than five Class 66`s. All Bachmann. Well over 20 Class 47s of various makes. Similar number of 37s. 

That's not including all the other classes that I have in double figures. Worth remembering many of us have been doing this thing for many decades and we aren't all impoverished children getting one model each year from Santa.

Jason

minnow meets a fish….

I think I might just ***cough*** here.

now for the whale…

If we are waving our sheds around, I might reveal i’ve got more than DRS, and Colas combined. I just bought 5 this week, admittedly I feel a bit like Harry Needle… when it comes to recycling them… I like the challenge of fixing them up and passing them on…ive sold around a dozen.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

If we are waving our sheds around, I might reveal i’ve got more than DRS, and Colas combined. I just bought 5 this week, admittedly I feel a bit like Harry Needle… when it comes to recycling them… I like the challenge of fixing them up and passing them on…ive sold around a dozen.

Lol, that post made me think of Del Boy and "this time next year I'll be a millionaire...."

Roy

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, adb968008 said:

minnow meets a fish….

I think I might just ***cough*** here.

now for the whale…

On 15/11/2022 at 19:37, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

You guys must give your fleet engineers a headache managing engineering changes on all that lot!

Modelling  modern freight trains is tricky... 

Is this what they mean by "multiple units"???

Edited by palmsticks
  • Funny 3