Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

I guess it's horses for courses. But the Bachmann 47 doesn't usually undress itself from it's component parts in the box. Or have a gaping hole in the roof where an aerial should be. YGWYPF.

All models can be improved, it's just that I find the Bachmann model a better point to start from than Vi's pre-painted kit.

Putting the two together, I don't think the Bachmann marker lights look too bad at all. The white probably just emphathises the size of them.  Perhaps a bit of dirt or grey paint?

attachicon.gifpost-6910-0-37574900-1371931876_thumb.jpg

The jumper cables seem to be more of a problem!

The problem Ive had with most models is the handrails are made of the most awful plastic are theyre metal and the paint is so thickly applied, the problem is with the Bachmann model as well is the recepticles are wrong, but only can be replaced with A1 models' ones if you can get ahold of them, the marker lights I also have to agree are slightly too big, probably about 0.5mm too big or so. The vitrains one seems to get these areas correct, although they do not come with the Correct TDM cables either but asides from the receptacle part are a finer moulding than Bachmanns one

NL

Or have a gaping hole in the roof where an aerial should be. YGWYPF.

The Bach 47 does not have 8 function fully independent lighting either, unlike the model shown which is still "in works"  - hence the the radio aerial not being fitted at this time - to that gaping hole in the roof -  "wood from the trees" comes to mind ! 

Edited by tractor_37260

I have decided to stick with Bachmanns 47 for now, as much as I like the look of the Vi class 47 mine didn't run as well as my Bachmann ones. I think with a little work they look pretty good. If I get a 47/7 I would certainly try and redo the jumper cables.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-26812400-1372917083_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I think you're right to stick with the Bachmann one. They all have imperfections, but then we're considering a RTR mass-produced plastic model (or toy)... and with all of these aspects taken into account, and the need to standardise parts across models where possible to keep costs economically viable, then I think Bach did a fair job. The subject of which one is best will go on for ages (or ever) but if you're satisfied with what you can see then that's all that matters.

If you want perfection... or as near as possible, then either find a kit or scratch build or modify a RTR model... assuming time, money and possibly a modicum of knowledge and skill are no object. I'm, what, er, blimey, 21 months into my detailing project based on the Bach 47 and I won't be doing it again... good job I've no layout to be working on at the same time  :unknw_mini:

• Like 2

According to Hattons Firefly should be due in this week !! :) Finally the Windsors will be able to go on tour :D

Would think it would, given Prince William is already at Shildon, and they whole lot have clearly been made in the same batch. Ironically two versions of the same loco released at the same time. There can't be many instances of that happening!

Would think it would, given Prince William is already at Shildon, and they whole lot have clearly been made in the same batch. Ironically two versions of the same loco released at the same time. There can't be many instances of that happening!

Prince William is now at York, as spotted yesterday when I fought with the masses at the A4 Gathering.

• RMweb Gold

Prince William is a beautiful model. One tip.......I almost contacted Shildon enquiring as to where the set of etched plates were.....not in the plastic shell or sleeve. Subsequently discovered nestling safely interleaved in the instruction papers in the outer box. Be careful......the perils of modern packaging!

Now on e-bay....3.....at £170 o.n.o.

When you take into account listing and ebay fees this seller is proviting at about £47 per model. I just don't see why anyone would buy from them when the model is still available???

• RMweb Gold

This particular gent ( ? ) resides nary a stone's throw from Shildon and has been an e-bay regular for several years. Why do punters buy ?  Because they are uninformed and gullible. My question is......how has he managed to be in possession of three within 24 hours ?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Scott

Yes - joint project with my son. 7 other 47s where that one came from - but its the hydraulics we favour, but not so common on the prototype as Sulzer type 4s.

Bacchy

D1547 Early BFYE

D1662 Early BFYE, yet to appear in video

D1666 Odin GSYE OK its a Heljan Tubbyduff

D1670 Mammoth GFYE

D1696 BFYE

D1725 Early BFYE, another Tubbyduff

D1744 GSYP, the last to survive in this livery (Till Nov 1970)

Plus D1920

So scope for a bit of variety there.

Phil

Phil

Ultimate refurbed 47 ? hhmmm................... maybe not...............

Vi model - by 43179 of this parish gets my vote !

post-2215-0-80240700-1374349407.jpg

Edited by tractor_37260
  • Like 1