Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

I've recently bought a Bachmann bodyshell from another RMwebber, in Executive livery and numbered / named as 47515 Night Mail and need a chassis for it.

I'm told that this one has the correct chassis (apart from lacking ETS jumpers):

http://www.ehattons.com/70413/Bachmann_Branchline_31_650M_Class_47_1662_Isambard_Kingdom_Brunel_in_BR_blue_Modelzone_Exclusive_/StockDetail.aspx

What about this one?

http://www.ehattons.com/23488/Bachmann_Branchline_31_652_Class_47_4_47474_Sir_Rowland_Hill_in_Parcels_red_grey/StockDetail.aspx

A local-ish model shop has one in stock and it's cheaper than the blue one from Hattons. Is the chassis suitable?

• RMweb Gold

The 60s/70s is more my bag but you might want to check whether your loco had the buffer beam fairings under the cabs removed - compare the difference between the two you have linked to and this one to see what I mean

https://railsofsheffield.com/class-47-47745-royal-london-society-for-the-blind-res-red-amp-grey-diesel-locomotive-free-uk-post-32-817-JJJA18922.aspx

Cheers

Phil

I've recently bought a Bachmann bodyshell from another RMwebber, in Executive livery and numbered / named as 47515 Night Mail and need a chassis for it.

I'm told that this one has the correct chassis (apart from lacking ETS jumpers):

http://www.ehattons.com/70413/Bachmann_Branchline_31_650M_Class_47_1662_Isambard_Kingdom_Brunel_in_BR_blue_Modelzone_Exclusive_/StockDetail.aspx

What about this one?

http://www.ehattons.com/23488/Bachmann_Branchline_31_652_Class_47_4_47474_Sir_Rowland_Hill_in_Parcels_red_grey/StockDetail.aspx

A local-ish model shop has one in stock and it's cheaper than the blue one from Hattons. Is the chassis suitable?

Hi,

They do look the same, so get the cheaper 47474. I did 515 myself but used tanks from a Bachmann 47035 and did a few mods so they didn't look like the class 57 ones that they were based on.

Hi,

They do look the same, so get the cheaper 47474. I did 515 myself but used tanks from a Bachmann 47035 and did a few mods so they didn't look like the class 57 ones that they were based on.

I used a modified 035 chassis as well- also not forgetting to rectify the wobbles/leaning to one side. I only used plasticard on one end, but seemed to stiffen things up enough.

Answer is they haven't - it will push out and yes you can clean it up to remove the printed headcodes on it

But you will do better to use precision label headcodes.

We don't worry about illumination so have adopted the following procedure

Cut a piece of black plasticard (try clear if you want illumination) to be an interference fit in the aperture. Lay a strip of double sided tape on to this - let it lap over the ends, that will hold it securely in place once fitted. Stick selected codes on to tape - you will find you can prod them around to get alignment/spacing correct, a cocktail stick is good for this.

When happy place self adhesive box supplied with headcodes over the front having trimmed it to shape - sticky side down so it sticks, check spacing is correct for boxes printed on to this. Having done this you should now have no visible tape. Fit mounted codes in to aperture and finally add glazing cut from clear model box acetate sheet. Push the codes forward so they sit right behind the glazing when it is flush - the bit of stickiness from the exposed ends of the tape is enough to hold all securely in place.

Have a look at my thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80301-d6992-from-Bachmann-37254/ for the end result - have 6885, D66xx 1662 and 1669 on the work bench awaiting the same treatment

Cheers

Phil

Thanks, Phil. Just been looking at your 37254 thread (a loco I have myself, favourite 37 condition) - very inspiring, weathering on loco roof superb imho. And very informative about how you did it.

Re 47148,  I managed to move the headcode transparency a fraction, but can't get it out. There is some black paint or similar around the panel inside  the body, which seems to form the black surround to the panel as seen from the front. Think this is what is holding panel in place and stopping it moving. Don't want to put any more pressure on panel in case I damage the nose of the loco. 

If all else fails and I can't get panel out, presumably the precision labels codes would also fit behind the clear panel if I cleaned off the printing from the back.  On locos that needed headcodes I've used Heljan codes (mainly because they came with Heljan locos and were easy to fit) but also used them on a Dapol Western. There was a long discussion on the Western thread about the best size of codes to use, the Heljan ones being 4mm, scale height, so is this also the right height for a 47? 

Off to look at the precision labels web site to get a pack,

Thanks,

Bill

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Exactly what I did... The combo of flush at 1 end is the killer. I did find a few mainline examples with extended yellow up top with one being a Scottish namer. However my layout really needs more plain blue 47s (and 37s too) as I've chased too many multicolour sector machines so current thinking is will vanish under banger blue as soon as all track down on layout which will be the end of a 4 yr job...

I have one of these body shells too. I was wondering what locos this could be used for?

Seeing Bachmann hasn't done a BR blue one with high intensity head lamp, I'm wondering if it could be used to model such a loco?

• RMweb Gold

Bill sorry I hadn't responded earlier re head code query

Yes the 4mm are correct for the 47

post-7138-0-01996600-1397920766_thumb.jp

Kind regards

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 3

Thanks for the info on the head code size, Phil.  Excellent timing, by coincidence I bought a sound chip today (my first with legomanbiffo sound files) so when it arrives 47 148 will be the next project on the workbench.  I'll have a go at the head codes (as per your useful advice in post 582) at the same time.

Cheers,

Bill

• 5 months later...

this may have been covered earlier or be common knowledge, so please excuse my ignorance. but i want a Bachmann 47 in 80's era br blue with black domino headcodes. 

is this not possible off the shelf due to grills, roof plating, buffer beam fairings etc?

i'm not a very skilled or confident modeller so i want it as accurate as possible out of the box before i attempt any alterations.

thanks in advance.

As mentioned above, the easiest route will be to get hold of 47035, remove the raised marker light domes and lay precision label self adhesive dominos over the top. Battery box's will require changing with some correct ones (Heljan ) if they bother you (they are cl 57 ones). Apart from the loco in the 205th anniversary pack, Bachmann have not done a domino fitted 47

Edited by steveb860
  • Like 1

Jonny,

I've done two now, see them on ' cowley sidings ' in layout section.

I ground down the marker lights flush, and stick on precision domino stickers, then varnish them in. It's a 20 min job tops .

Jonny,

I've done two now, see them on ' cowley sidings ' in layout section.

I ground down the marker lights flush, and stick on precision domino stickers, then varnish them in. It's a 20 min job tops .

• RMweb Premium

i may wait and see if Bachmann release one. i'm obviously not the only person out there who wants a black domino headcode br blue duff. and it's one of the few cab variants they havent done yet. 

Oh yes there are lots of us. Unfortunately the wait may be a long one - the latest BR Blue 47 in Bachmann's catalogue has yellow panels (31-659 / DS) and a similar Blue version with dominos is not likely to follow soon after.

Oh yes there are lots of us. Unfortunately the wait may be a long one - the latest BR Blue 47 in Bachmann's catalogue has yellow panels (31-659 / DS) and a similar Blue version with dominos is not likely to follow soon after.

Dead-on, Andrew.  Serck grilles and GSYP is another ubiquitous configuration they have ignored.

Why oh why they went with the incredibly rare 47148 variant has never ceased to amaze me.  

(Although the diva in me thinks they saw my D1547 in eBFYE on here and took inspiration to model her)

Edited by 'CHARD

They tend to make a habit of rare combinations. Look at 47535 in large logo blue with flush fronts on both ends. 47301 in Railfreight Large Logo livery but with large numbers and a white stripe above the red.

It'd be nice to get a bog-standard one that is easy to renumber to loads of others and they could sell in large numbers.

i totally agree.

i'm surprised when they brought out the class 20 they didn't just do the one from goldeneye, lol.

personally, i want a bog standard early to mid 80's br blue, tops numbered, black domino headcode one with it's roof and bogies weathered like i remember them passing through runcorn around 1987. 

i totally agree.

i'm surprised when they brought out the class 20 they didn't just do the one from goldeneye, lol.

personally, i want a bog standard early to mid 80's br blue, tops numbered, black domino headcode one with it's roof and bogies weathered like i remember them passing through runcorn around 1987. 

Gets my vote for Market Feedback Quote of the Year!   :angel:

• Like 1

Have fun Bill

Is she staying as 47148?

Phil

Sorry for delayed reply Phil, but life, new grand daughter etc etc has rather got in the way!  I fitted an ESU loksound V4 chip with legomanbiffo sound files (from DCkits who were very helpful with advice about fitting it).  I thought I'd try the chip before doing any body mods to the loco   so it's still out as of the box 47 148.  I reduced the volume since loco runs in the loft. Loco runs very well with the chip and the "engine note" can be revved up and down with the throttle easily. The settings make the loco feel heavy, taking enough time to accelerate and brake. You can really "drive" it.  So very pleased with how the chip is programmed and intend to get one for Bachmann 37 which is next on the list. Great fun.

The 47 ran very well on DC before being chipped. Better than my first Bachmann 47, 2 tone green,  which had the bogie pivot screws far too tight and also suffered from the problem of the centre bogie wheels being lower than the outer ones, hence frequent derailments. But that one's alright now. 47 148 was fine from the beginning though.

Problem now is what identity/condition the loco should be. Like previous posters, I'd really like a domino/tops one (loco sometimes runs on friend's layout which is definitely later TOPS   era so to be historically accurate....)  So my first thought is to fit serck radiator shutters (as has been done before on RMweb). But for the moment  it will have to go on looking different. And perhaps it should.

(Of course if the green one with serck rads was to be sprayed  blue and the 3 fixed grill one was green, but that's just being ott!)  Look out for a 47035 and swap bodies then renumber may well be the eventual way to go but I'm guessing  from this thread that they are going to be popular!

Bill

• 7 months later...

Hi, I think I need to oil the motor bearings on my new 47 164 that arrived for my 50th ;) 

But she makes a horrid grinding noise going at mid speed in one direction.

I have oiled the prop shafts but can't get at the motor, if I take the body off will that give me access or will it be like the 25 with the motor covered by a grey block?