Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann's website now has what looks like a pre-production version of 47190 Pectinidae in weathered Railfreight Petroleum livery 31-658DS. If the weathering looks this good on a standard production run I'll be impressed - it's perhaps even better than Dapol's weathered Class 22s for Kernow MRC.

Sadly when they've arrived in the past, the weathered locos have not looked as good as the pre-pro images. Hardly surprising but it would be nice to see exactly what we'll get. I normally won't pre-order Bachmann's weathered locos for that reason.

Good news on the 47 front then! will have to get some overtime in, this is going to be an expensive year!

About time a 47/7 in NSE was produced, I do like the Heljan 47 but feel the Bachmann is more refined. am I getting this right that there are going to be two in NSE, and one of which will have sound? (i have been away for a while and not caught up with the latest)

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

Not quite. The new NSE loco will be vanilla DC and arrive this year with the original NSE (also vanilla DC) one now deffered to next year (Presumably some tooling oddity I would wager although no confirmation on this from Bachmann).

The additional Railfreight Petroleum 47 47190 comes in two versions, vanilla DC with weathering and pristine finish with DCC sound. Annoying for me as I would rather have pristine DC as I am in no way a fan of factory weathering and I don't dabble in the dark arts of DCC let alone sound!

Both the planned NSE releases were 47/7s and none of them ever carried original NSE.

I think when he said 'Original' he meant the NSE that was originally announced in the catalogue but deferred rather than the livery.

• RMweb Premium

Had to re-read my post but I can see the confusion!! When I said 'original' I did indeed mean 'first announced' rather than the original NSE livery (which would be nice by the way Mr Bachmann, my ModelZone Ltd Edn is getting lonely!!)

The additional Railfreight Petroleum 47 47190 comes in two versions, vanilla DC with weathering and pristine finish with DCC sound. Annoying for me as I would rather have pristine DC as I am in no way a fan of factory weathering and I don't dabble in the dark arts of DCC let alone sound!

Funny as I would rather have weathered with sound, perhaps we should order 1 each and do some kind of swapping of parts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The ModelZone website now has what look like a pre-production sample of their limited edition 1662 Isambard Kingdom Brunel in early BR Blue modelzone 1662. It looks quite good, and I was tempted, but if you look carefully at the head on view it seems that the cab windows still feature the incorrect raised ribs and rivets from the refurbished cabs on the Class 57. Presumably the catalogue loco D1677 THOR with FYE will therefore be the same.

Shame on you Bachmann, this really should have been corrected by now, especially since all the later cab variants are correct. Yes, I know I could remove them but why should I as they're so obviously wrong. At least I've saved around £200 or so - now I can afford the Rail Exclusive pair I've ordered...

At least its got the Serck shutters and a 4-digit headcode... and the right bogies (at last) so maybe the body was based on the original green one... what was it 32-800?

Jon

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've just recently purchased a Bachmann 47 (32-802) numbered 47035 as new and have the following questions:-

1. On the underside of the loco there is an ON/OFF switch; does anyone know what this is for?

2. How exactly does the body separate from the chassis?

Many thanks in advance for any advice offered.

There should be some instructions in the pack inside the box. The on/off is to enable you to turn the tail lights off should you wish to be more accurate if pulling stock, when the tail lights would be at the end of the train, not on the loco. To remove the body, remove the 6 screws that secure it to the chassis (two either side of each bogie near the tanks and one at each end)... then there's the clips - you need to slide something like a fingernail along inside between the body and chassis to undo the clips which are by the cab doors. They're a bit of a faff to be honest and possibly more trouble that they're worth... but they're there and you need to unfasten them.

good luck, and enjoy your loco.

Jon

• Like 1

Regarding the new 47/7 ScotRail version - are those RCH cables on the cab fronts meant to be that colour? I havent been able to find any photos showing them in orange except of course for the ends. I thought the cables black. It might not be a bad thing as they look far too thick anyway so I might replace them with some thin black decoder wire.

http://www.margam-de...erth-010890.jpg

Maybe they left ex-works painted orange but clearly they never stayed that colour for long.

Also seems some of scottish 47s with snowploughs had the middle plough removed or not even fitted.

47541 being a good example. Some photos the centre plough is there on others its been removed???? Only noticed this today! Why was this I wonder?

Edited by ThaneofFife

Thanks Kev. I never thought of that and it makes perfect sense and perhaps then makes a sound case for trying to just go with the outer ploughs given that winter in Scotland (if your basing your layout on that region) in the 80s often conjoured up lots of the white stuff which we cant really model thus setting the loco in Autumn, Summer or Spring months on most layouts.

But it looks easier to leave the 3 ploughs fitted as supplied by Bachmann given that the NEM prongs are on the back of the centre plough but perhaps I need to look at more photographs to decide whether I prefer the 2 or 3 plough arrangement first.

Edited by ThaneofFife

Hi,

Another question relating to the Bachmann 47 (32-802) numbered 47035 is the ETH boxes on this model located either side of the buffer beneath the driver's windscreen - are these removable or are they part of the chassis moulding?

Many thanks in advance.

Not tried to remove mine but I expect they're moulded on. You could always remove them with a sharp blade... and some care.

An electrifying experience then....

I'm sure you could be inducted onto a course that would show you how to do this.., as long as you've the capacity to accomodate the course's timing.

I'll get my coat.

But, honestly.., I presume you're wishing to model a non-ETS fitted machine, of which the one provided has always struck me as odd as this looks like an early generator (East Coast) but numbered for the western... presumably for their ETS stock although I presume the stock were Mk2es and 2fs and not on the same voltage as the East coast 2ds... so is the fitting right for 035? I've not looked into this aspect because it does suit 47014-018 one of which I'll be doing.

Jon

No Jon, 47035 (and the others that you mentioned) would not have been ETH-fitted. The Generators were (47401-47420) but anything that is numbered 470XX, 471XX, 472XX or 473XX would not have ETH cables.

The Bachmann model of '035 would suit 47411-47420 if you were doing an ETH-fitted one.

Edited by Raffles

No Jon, 47035 (and the others that you mentioned) would not have been ETH-fitted. The Generators were (47401-47420) but anything that is numbered 470XX, 471XX, 472XX or 473XX would not have ETH cables.

The Bachmann model of '035 would suit 47411-47420 if you were doing an ETH-fitted one.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I suppose with it being the early config, they're not too obvious... not as obvious as the later 500 /4s anyway. Yes, I've had the 411-420 vs 401-410 difference pointed out to me and I do not plan to replace the cant rail grills, so I'll stick with one I had in my book for mine... The first photo in this page (a useful reference) is my inspiration at the moment http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_photos_II.php?index=2&jndex=0&kndex=13&s_loco=47414

• RMweb Premium

Exactly, which is why Bachmann really do need to re-visit the 'under chassis' and bufferbeam detail especially for 47/0's, which is a shame because in my view they have made a good job of the class 47 bodyshell.

Until they do, I'll stick with my renumbered Heljan 47/0....

And the cab window surrounds. How difficult can it be to remove the incorrect rivet details?