Hornby - New tooling - Peckett B2 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Looks like a nice chassis for a Triang Polly,.

Too chunky and too high. The motor housing is a big casting that more-or-less fills the saddle tank.

The chassis from the much cheaper Electrotren model is a very good fit in Nellie/Connie/Polly, though, and there is a very good thread on here dedicated to that sort of conversion project.  

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

After missing the posty on Friday and a busy bank holiday weekend at work, I finally got around to get my hands on the B2's, which arrived at lunchtime.

What can I say! They really are little gems! 

Here's a few pictures from a little running session today, featuring both "Sherwood" and "Westminster". 

Big thanks to Dan of Derails for the excellent service! 

IMG_20190827_145246_1-01.jpeg

IMG_20190827_160312-01.jpeg

IMG_20190827_150015-02.jpeg

IMG_20190827_145327-02.jpeg

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 8

Hi,

whereas when I look at the same pic, I think I can see daylight just by the back end of the spring over the front wheels!,  I think a similar question came up on either the 'W4'  or the Hatton Barclay thread, and the counter question was then, "can you see daylight under the boiler on the real thing?" Picture below for discussion purposes only.

regards,

Neil

s1378_2.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Can anybody advise whether conversion to EM/P4 looks like it’s a possibility? Critically the clearances/width of slide bars? A photo of the underside of the chassis would be appreciated 

• RMweb Premium

Can anybody advise whether conversion to EM/P4 looks like it’s a possibility? Critically the clearances/width of slide bars? A photo of the underside of the chassis would be appreciated 

1 hour ago, neilkirby said:

Hi,

whereas when I look at the same pic, I think I can see daylight just by the back end of the spring over the front wheels!,  I think a similar question came up on either the 'W4'  or the Hatton Barclay thread, and the counter question was then, "can you see daylight under the boiler on the real thing?" Picture below for discussion purposes only.

regards,

Neil

s1378_2.jpg

I can't even see the damn spring!

Richard

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, ullypug said:

There were some conversions of the W4 Peckett to EM that were mentioned in this forum shortly after it was released so I suspect that the B2 being somewhat similar would also be convertible. Gordon Ashton AKA Steamraiser, of this Parish, has done an etched chassis for those wishing to build a W2 with a compensated front axle in EM or P4. 

Perhaps someone might do the same for the B2, it would depend on demand.

Cheers,

David

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ullypug said:

Now the truly brave thing to ask would be how to convert it to 009:jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, davknigh said:

There were some conversions of the W4 Peckett to EM that were mentioned in this forum shortly after it was released so I suspect that the B2 being somewhat similar would also be convertible. Gordon Ashton AKA Steamraiser, of this Parish, has done an etched chassis for those wishing to build a W2 with a compensated front axle in EM or P4. 

Perhaps someone might do the same for the B2, it would depend on demand.

Cheers,

David

Thanks David 

I’ve got one of Gordon’s chassis for the w4 which I’ll do in P4 at some point. I’d like to see if Hornby have used the same slidebar arrangement on the b2 as that caused a bit of an issue for converting the w4, hence Gordon’s chassis.

I quite fancy doing one in EM for a little inglenook style layout once the new rtr points are out!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, scots region said:

Now the truly brave thing to ask would be how to convert it to 009

I shoulda thunk that a 45xx mechanism would do nicely. Maybe replace the trailing truck with a bogie a little further to the rear, to make plenty of space for the ashpan. I'll cheerfully take the OO mechanism from anyone steering this course.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, ullypug said:

I’ve had a quick initial look a day or so back, the cylinder, slide bar, axle lateral movement all look familiar with the earlier 0-4-0 components and clearances. My first thoughts were not a straightforward conversion. I’ll take some pics this afternoon. Drive is vertical gear train to centre axle.

Attached image is EP sample from 19 toy fair, production samples may vary.

257C7E3A-7CA4-4730-8B7F-4B2B6FC20196.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I shoulda thunk that a 45xx mechanism would do nicely. Maybe replace the trailing truck with a bogie a little further to the rear, to make plenty of space for the ashpan. I'll cheerfully take the OO mechanism from anyone steering this course.

Hmmm.... not saying yes, not saying no.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

image.png.b189cd2500aaae558b7e5307e562ac56.png

Whohoo!

I'll be ripping the Zimo sound decoder out of the RMweb DJM Austerity forthwith ;)

I am very keen to see how you get on with the sound conversion. The Austerity twice the size and half the weight with lots of space in comparison to the B2.

Please publish pics as I'm sceptical that it can be done.

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

I am very keen to see how you get on with the sound conversion. The Austerity twice the size and half the weight with lots of space in comparison to the B2.

Please publish pics as I'm sceptical that it can be done.

Paul Chetter managed it in the 0-4-0 ;)

• Like 2

Mine arrived with a small chip on the roof that I managed to glue back. I went for the APCM Westminster.

Firstly because I have a lot of vacuum braked Blue Circle wagons (Cemflos and Presflos) plus a cement silo so this loco is perfect for an eventual Cement seen. The only issue is that Cemflos might never have appeared at the Cement works that Westminster worked at. But lack of evidence is not proof that it never happened. And any eventual cement shunting scene is richer with more choice of wagons to choose from anyway.

Secondly, she spent many a year rusting away on the KESR where I saw her.

Here are some pics, with some comparing her to other small locos - she is about twice as heavy as the heaviest of the below models - while being a very small 0-6-0:

2IMG_3184 (2).JPG

2IMG_3186 (2).JPG

2IMG_3187_(2).JPG

2IMG_3188_(2).JPG

2IMG_3191 (2).JPG

2IMG_3193 (2).JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

A short running session featuring the eagerly anticipated Hornby Peckett B2 0-6-0ST.
Following the success of the popular Peckett W4 0-4-0ST, Hornby introduced the Peckett B2 0-6-0ST to their extensive 2019 range. Like the W4's before them, the B2's feature a powerful 5 Pole Motor, heavy diecast construction, separately fitted smokebox darts, hand rails and pipework, extensively detailed cab interiors and a crisp livery application. 
In this video, we take a look at R3693 "Sherwood" in eye-catching lined lime green with wasp strips and R3694 "Westminster" in smart dark green, shunting a mixture of NCB stock. 
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

An industrial visitor to http://www.canuteroadquay.com To join my expanding industrial fleet, that is work in progress with weathering. #gotridofcoppercap

C5973EF8-3138-4436-AFC2-2BD46F51E745.jpeg.33213383a9ba45213e12bba57dadf345.jpeg3228622F-12C3-4904-B7EA-00CE340EF32E.jpeg.c59b440ef39c0cdcefb53c05a6e8884e.jpeg

• Like 15