The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

Not mine. Just saw it while out taking granddaughter for a walk this morning. Also clocked a red Hillman Imp in a garage (not photable) and an MGF under restoration. It’s only a small village too.

steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 12/08/2019 at 20:03, steve1 said:

Remembered this one from a car show a couple of years ago.

steve

IMG_2979.jpg

That's a nice little car. The Metro 1275 S was quietly regarded as the best engine to leave Longbridge. Lots of clubman racers would buy the motor to strip down to obtain the vital parts, especially the crankshaft.I'm not sure, but the wheels were made in Cardiff, where we did anything from a Metro, to Rolls-Royce. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/08/2019 at 20:06, russ p said:

Nearly all mk2s on turbo alloys now as the original TDX tyres are so hard to find now

The finished wheels left Cardiff, to travel to (Walsall, I think) to have the tyres fitted to the wheel . Then, once fitted, balanced & inflated, they then went to Longbridge to be fitted to the car. This was an early development of JIT (Just in Time). All of the tyres went to that factory, including alloys & steels. 

International Tyres....? Hmm, forgive me, it was about 30 years ago... My involvement  came about because Rover complained that the completed alloy wheels were arriving at Longbridge in damaged condition. Upon inspection, it transpired that a worker at the tyre fitting factory was short in height. So, to get at the wheels, he would tip over an entire pallets-worth of brand new wheels onto the floor. Oh dear, P45 time....

Edit: Having a quick Google ( ooh,err, missus) and I'm pretty sure it was International Tyres. I don't know about TDX nowadays, probably a long-gone model/style.

Cheers,

Ian  

Edited by tomparryharry
Poor memory.
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

My MG Montego Turbo had TDX tyres - 195/65/VR365 - 10mm wider tread than the standard Montego tyres and V-rated rather than H-rated. They were unique to the MG Turbo model, and therefore were much more expensive to buy at the time than a pair of rear tyres for a Porsche 911 Turbo!! :o

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Alfa used TRX tyres on some models. Same style wheels in both metric and imperial sizes.

The metric ones are virtually worthless. A set of metric tyres (if you can find them) cost more than a set of imperial wheels and tyres 

All the best

Katy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

42 minutes ago, russ p said:

I've often wondered if its possible to have a TDX alloy wheel turned on a lathe to accept a normal tyre

It would probably remove too much metal so the strength would be lost, and I cant really see an engineering shop taking the risk either.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, russ p said:

Thats what I've thought k, but if you are only removing about quarter of an inch off circumference it may work

It may well indeed work and it is an interesting idea, but my second point would then raise its ugly head especially in this litigious society we now live in. 

Some of those TDX wheels were quite nice and it is a shame they have nearly all been scrapped.

Edit-

One way around the issue might be to mark the modified wheels as 'show only' or state a maximum speed of 30mph or something.

Edited by royaloak
Added info.
  • Like 1

On 17/08/2019 at 22:17, russ p said:

I've often wondered if its possible to have a TDX alloy wheel turned on a lathe to accept a normal tyre

The shape of the bead on TRX wheels is different to standard rims, I suspect it's not something you'd mess with without potentially dire consequences.

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/09/2019 at 07:37, steve1 said:

Not just an old Range Rover but a pimped up Overfinch. 

steve

7414496A-5AE8-4F3B-9B1A-E11E0C1F4C6A.jpeg

Looks like it might have some history with a royal owner. Which probably means Phil the Greek has crashed it into some proletariat's Kia Belgrano. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

On 15/09/2019 at 14:43, peanuts said:

flicking through my old pic files found some of these old spoof adverts from the MG owners club website may amuse some apologies in advance for nsfw language 

06_June.jpg

12_Dec.jpg

AdMGZR.jpg

The elephant in the room being, unfortunately, not enough people did want some. 

How the MG badged Rovers stacked up performance wise against RS Fords and VXR Vauxhalls I've no idea but I remember ads for the the ZR&S in lad's mags of the time. Meanwhile Renault and Citroën were doing similar. 

How on earth they expected to compete directly with companies with massive budgets and/or state funding I have no idea. 

I saw the writing on the wall with the citicar and plastic festooned 25 "urban on-roader" (that'd be a car then). For volume sales you need commercials (vans)/fleet repmobiles, family car and performance marques. For a profitable small range you need bespoke performance and/or luxury and a full order book.

Neither were forthcoming. Shame but with a kind of inevitable omnipresence of doom about it. 

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium
On 17/08/2019 at 19:12, Kickstart said:

Alfa used TRX tyres on some models. Same style wheels in both metric and imperial sizes.

The metric ones are virtually worthless. A set of metric tyres (if you can find them) cost more than a set of imperial wheels and tyres 

All the best

Katy

The Ford Granada and Citroen CX (and a BMW 5 series I seem to remember) used the TRX tyres, were the TDX unique to the MG range?

Any information on the differences between them?