The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

• RMweb Gold

About time I posted in here. I moved onto German cars a long time ago now and wouldn’t look back for a daily driver. Always had Mk2 Golf GTi’s, not currently but have a full underbody set-up for one including a Brian Ricketts Motorsport 180 engine gunning on megasquirt. 

Anyway’s the Golf would not suit at the minute, besides my brother has a Mk2 Golf track car and a Mk2 Scirocco. 

My current car is a 3.0 Ltr straight six turbo with 275 bhp, rear wheel drive, manual gearbox and has averaged 49 mpg (tank to tank) for the last 18 months!

Any guesses?

• RMweb Gold
On 27/06/2019 at 20:25, big jim said:

Nice!

im finding its nice to be of an age to be able to do stuff to cars that I’ve always fancied doing and be able to afford to do it and more importantly be able to insure the modifications! 

Costs me less than 500 quid with Adrian Flux, all mods declared and more importantly covered 

• RMweb Gold

All mods declared on both minis and the standard 3.5 v6 Murano all insured with multi cover through Avviva for just short of £700 for the 3 

im going to have to have a look at moving the cooper off the policy when I put the extra bits on after the next service, I’ve got a bigger intercooler and smaller supercharger pulley to go on as well as a plan for a stage 2 Superchips bluefin which will put the car to about 220-230 bhp and I can’t see aviva accepting those mods so I’ll have a look at flux, who I used 20 years ago with no issues on my punto GT 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 28/06/2019 at 02:45, RedgateModels said:

I got my birthday prezzy fitted to the Scooby last weekend - Sti intercooler and water spray

DSC_0775.JPG.896cc70edf0b7a9c76ad8a498da4cddf.JPG

The red STI logo will be replaced by a more suitable blue "WRX" and those red hoses have to go!

Any chance of a full car pic?

Managed to get my partner to upgrade her car (although it wasn't particularly hard) went from a 1.5 Mazda Axela to this:

48185732092_43e164f1c5_b.jpg

E87 130i Msport. Not sure if it's going to come under the 'classic' umbrella, but It's now not the newest gen of 1 series, and its actually pretty close to my E46 for age so i'm sure you guys won't mind.

It's almost embarrassing how much faster than my wagon this thing is, the nearly 200kw output that the brochure boasts is amazing (it certainly doesn't feel like it's lost much, if any, over the years), and the linear power from that glorious sounding Inline 6 is amazing.  I'm lucky, there's a public road behind my place that's used in local hillclimb events - Having taken this car and my Mum's 2018 Golf GTI for a few 'test' runs up the road at night, I would say the BMW is actually more fun to drive, and it feels faster too..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jack P said:

Managed to get my partner to upgrade her car (although it wasn't particularly hard) went from a 1.5 Mazda Axela to this:

48185732092_43e164f1c5_b.jpg

E87 130i Msport. Not sure if it's going to come under the 'classic' umbrella, but It's now not the newest gen of 1 series, and its actually pretty close to my E46 for age so i'm sure you guys won't mind.

It's almost embarrassing how much faster than my wagon this thing is, the nearly 200kw output that the brochure boasts is amazing (it certainly doesn't feel like it's lost much, if any, over the years), and the linear power from that glorious sounding Inline 6 is amazing.  I'm lucky, there's a public road behind my place that's used in local hillclimb events - Having taken this car and my Mum's 2018 Golf GTI for a few 'test' runs up the road at night, I would say the BMW is actually more fun to drive, and it feels faster too..

all well and good but do the indicators work ?

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

4 minutes ago, peanuts said:

They are the odd late 2000's versions that don't fully click into place, some sort of tap to turn on, tap to turn back off or auto off when the wheel goes back past the center, annoying to get used to, and an odd thing to change (maybe trying to get Bimmer drivers to use them more?)

I only know all this because I use the things though!

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, peanuts said:

Obviously they are going to work, it’s a BMW. 

Whether they are used or not is a completely different matter!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/07/2019 at 06:08, Jack P said:

2.JPG.7b4516d4607957da8439598ea8ea2c89.JPG

This was last year at Jaspshow Finale, headlights have changed since then and of course the IC is bigger

DSC_0776.JPG.222fdc2aa5194a19590438be14840540.JPG

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Nice

im liking the white STI parked next to you, that’s the ‘classic’ Impreza shape to me, the 2 door version is one of my faves (a la colin McRae) 

my stepdad dad has a Subaru forrester, fairly new, 68 plate, I went out for a ride in on a few weeks back and was surprised just how noisy the boxer Diesel engine is in it

Edited by big jim
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/07/2019 at 08:01, big jim said:

Nice

im liking the white STI parked next to you, that’s the ‘classic’ Impreza shape to me, the 2 door version is one of my faves (a la colin McRae) 

my stepdad dad has a Subaru forrester, fairly new, 68 plate, I went out for a ride in on a few weeks back and was surprised just how noisy the boxer Diesel engine is in it

Mate of mine has a completely rebuilt P1 show car, makes around 600 bhp and you could eat your dinner off the engine 🙂

DSC_0009.JPG.d99386b918f6ef36ee6ca999f991a8bc.JPG

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 6

No idea if it's going to count as a classic at any stage, but I loved my bright orange GT86. That made a trip to the tip enjoyable (small loads only, but I could get my road bike in the back without taking the back wheel off, so it was surprisingly practical for what it was). I'd probably have preferred if it were the Subaru BRZ version, but to get to a Subaru retailer I would have had to drive past at least 3 Toyota dealers.

I also had a 2007 Suzuki Swift Sport, which was a joy to own and drive. It was like a road legal go kart.

Edited by Zomboid
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Anyone after a project car or two, called in a scrappy in Wolverhampton this morning to pick up a stainless exhaust for the convertible and they had a load of cars in the yard for sub £1000, in fact most were less than £400

1990 Renault 21 for £350 

CD964B88-1D87-4434-AB96-7355D8083BAE.jpg

or a 2 door 1995 Audi 80? For £650

D5B339A8-8E36-4B08-B5E9-6E79F3B2FAFB.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, peanuts said:

Wow, that's different! Do you get the, er, 'models' as part of the deal? 

steve

Edited by steve1
sense

• RMweb Gold

Not put any cooper pics up for a while, done a few bits and bobs to it 

he other week I broke the recliner on the passenger seat so I changed the seats for a set of blue/black leather seats off eBay 

D3BE2E64-3E47-4FDB-A0C7-E47614FBBDBB.jpg

and I’ve just done this, added black headlight surrounds using carbon fibre wrap, comes in a sheet that you heat and wrap around whatever you want to, I didn’t know how I’d get on with it but it went on really well with no creases or folds

D216860D-BE1B-4350-BFEA-E7A35DF7FE9E.jpg

the car is now 1200 miles off its supercharger service, might get that done in the next couple of weeks, if it goes well (ie the rest of the car is running ok) I’m going to possibly get a smaller pulley fitted while the charger is off the car, that will give it an extra 20bhp, ive also got a superchip bluefin that I may configure to the cooper, the stage 2 chip combined with the smaller pulley and bigger intercooler will push it from 175bhp to 240bhp! 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Had a hire car last night, a brand new Mini Cooper, looking at the specs it too puts out  about 180 bhp like my Cooper S but it’s only a 3 cylinder engine, turbo charged though, it certainly goes well and handled well on B roads on the way home 

it’s surprising how much bigger externally it is to my minis but inside it’s not too much bigger, more leg room in the rear though 

Italian job

F1CEBAA7-4D44-4B74-85A4-53F5358FD8BC.jpg

957F4FC2-834C-4343-86B7-3E0D4AE2C636.jpg

then just to show how big new minis are compared to original one’s here it is parked next to a 1275 clubman 

3D1074B4-244C-4CDD-BB94-5B0F4C86D230.jpg

6070FC6F-7519-4985-AD6A-FBE26E639A79.jpg

AE23DA3B-9416-4DC7-A337-14ED35E89F65.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, great central said:

Talking about how big new minis are compared to other cars, a countryman is as big as my Jeep Cherokee, but ten times uglier:victory:

Maybe not quite that big but certainly up to the size of my Yeti (on the outside, anyway). I think BMW must now regard the hatchback Mini as their equivalent to the VW Golf (or the Passat if you get the new 5-door one). :jester:

Mind you, everything's getting bigger - I parked next to a new Merc A-class the other day and it wasn't until I saw the badges on the back that I realised it wasn't a C-class. Wonder what they'll call the new "small" Merc they'll introduce when they realise the main effect they're having is cannibalising C-class sales.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling