The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

Been thinking about that a lot lately John and I think the fashion for SUVs has made it worse. The Polo is as big as the Golf was, I haven't a clue what's going on with the BMW range - 4 series - it doesn't even know what it's supposed to be (sportcoupetouringurbanoffroad blah blah)!

If the current "mini" has a larger wheelbase and track than the 2002ti had then the lunatics have truly taken over the asylum...sorry Jim I'm sure you love your motors, but they aren't for me. Maybe I should slink off to the old giffer car thread! Haha! 

C6T. 

Maybe I should context my previous mini-rant (arf!) with the statement that I (not needing to own one) appreciate cars from a design perspective, even if they were/are a pain to maintain drive and own. 

So my liked three door larger fwd hatchback would probably be a Fiat Stilo. Really liked the styling and if they did an Abarth version then that'd be the one for me.

Similarly I thought the Mitsubishi Gallant was a very nice motor to look at, white estate V6, natch.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Wa3G8xf1h45dpcbG8

Woof woof! 

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T

58 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Been thinking about that a lot lately John and I think the fashion for SUVs has made it worse. The Polo is as big as the Golf was, I haven't a clue what's going on with the BMW range - 4 series - it doesn't even know what it's supposed to be (sportcoupetouringurbanoffroad blah blah)!

If the current "mini" has a larger wheelbase and track than the 2002ti had then the lunatics have truly taken over the asylum...sorry Jim I'm sure you love your motors, but they aren't for me. Maybe I should slink off to the old giffer car thread! Haha! 

C6T. 

Look at the Corsa. You could probably fit the original Nova inside.

As an aside, I did something today that I didn't think I would do again and drove an XR3i. Ok it was only 20 feet in reverse but I had forgotten just how easy it was to park. It belongs to a 14year old nephew and is a dad & lad project. 

• Like 1

Can't disagree with that. They used to put windows in cars to ease periferal vision, now it's parking radar, cameras, literally taking away the driving experience from the driver.

The d pillar on a Golf used to be a design signature, seen how fat they've got? Cathedral buttress!

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Classsix T said:

Can't disagree with that. They used to put windows in cars to ease periferal vision, now it's parking radar, cameras, literally taking away the driving experience from the driver.

The d pillar on a Golf used to be a design signature, seen how fat they've got? Cathedral buttress!

C6T. 

All down to the need to obtain good scores in the crash tests. Stunning how big the windows on most cars look from the outside and how small they look from the inside. My Yeti's better than most; the pillars are pretty substantial so most of the "glass" really is. Mind you, the sensors are so good you almost don't need to look out of the windows.

John

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

... well, if I had a quarter of a million quid in loose change...

C6T. 

. . . I'd spend £100k on a modified Nissan GT-R that would blow that overpriced piece of crap into the weeds as well as having four seats and a usable boot, and have £150k change to spend on other things ;)

Paul

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The mini is back on its standard springs and it’s driveable again now, the garage also put some new front top struts on it as I noticed one of them was split when I put them in the car

AE719531-4A13-4C9B-AE6D-0DE83375D6C4.jpg

I had a full stainless system added while it was up on the ramps too

6EA439DD-B682-4A7D-9A27-9F7C41D1C1B3.jpg

compared to the cooper s it’s really quiet as it is a resonated system with a centre box but put your foot down and it have a beautiful rasp! 

Also got a couple of ‘dealer’ stickers for both cars 

F41DCCC5-750C-4A7F-BF73-B8D6A9B08B0A.jpg

• Like 5
  • Funny 5

What's worse Stewart is some garages will affix hard badges to the bodywork, usually the boot. I'd demand removal and return to factory condition, recompense for doing same myself or fiscal payment for mobile advertising. Cheeky bu99ers. 

C6T. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

Dealer stickers - the 1st thing I remove when I get a car!

Stewart

same here but when i saw those italian job inspired ones on an original mini the other week i decided i had to get a couple!

• Like 2

im not sure if this qualify s as a modern classic but here goes i was lucky enough to own this beauty for just over six months before saddly  the timing chain let go just after coming out of gretna services and that was that but those six months were just a pure pleasure to drive also made a great prop in some of my photo shootsas the slightly nsfw pic with the lovely samantha jayne shows  .  v6 2.7 twin turbo diesel 204 horses lovely smooth 6 speed auto box and all the toys real pleasure to drive and own and never let me down think the grey realy works as well 

_DSC3984.jpg

_DSC4114.jpg

_DSC1357-2.jpg

_DSC1358-2.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I had the 3l petrol one back in 2004, only 4 years old when I got it, cracking car, only thing I didn’t like was lifting the bonnet and seeing everything marked “Ford”

Picture_1360.jpg

found some pics of a few more of my old cars

civic type r 

DSCF0001_0007.jpg

Hyundai coupe, 3L V6 running on LPG

P6040427.jpg

Another civic type r 

DSCF0217.jpg

Twingo GT

DSCF2019.jpg

And one of my faves “50 shades of green” SEAT Ibiza GT cupra sport, a whole £350 worth 

6D5E733D-3A66-413C-88D1-6B9D27FC978D-158

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Is the ZR yours?

I've got a series 1 ZR TD115+ in trophy yellow too.

It has all options other than passenger air bag and traffic master,  I class it as a modern classic as it's now more or less limited use and is garaged and try not to use it in the rain or salt roads

• RMweb Gold

Don’t see why not, funnily enough I was going to snap a pic of an 05 plate ZS180 that’s resident at our holiday park this afternoon to put up in here!

there are also a couple of late plate ZS’s at a house between silloth and Wigton too

• Like 3