Heljan announce Class 45 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
On 28/09/2022 at 19:33, Gary H said:

Its a no from me sadly.

I had hopes but...

heljan peak.jpg

class 45.jpg

I think the cab door and roof curve is a red herring personally. What catches my eye are the cab windows and rain strip which curve down slightly too much if anything, not slightly too little as high shoulders would suggest.

Here is the 7mm one which does have the same effect but I don't think looks quite as pronounced as the recent 4mm photos. Perhaps in the flesh the model will look different as well.

1329823950_DSC_0028(3).JPG.288650b342b64c57ae46451e5b0ea6a1.JPG

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 28/09/2022 at 19:33, Gary H said:

Its a no from me sadly.

I had hopes but...

heljan peak.jpg

class 45.jpg

To me there's something 'English Electric' about the way the model's outer windscreens taper towards the corner pillars.

A classic example of how diesels are more than just 'boxes on wheels' - get any of those subtle curves wrong and the ripples spread far and wide......

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, GordonC said:

(but having said that we rarely seem to get many Class 40 models on the shelves to actually buy - cant buy whats not there!)

I keep hearing shouts for a new 40, and theres versions not done since Lima, like Scottish headcode and 40044. and whilst 40145, D212, D213, 40106 and D200 have entertained, again it comes down to green or blue… I think the Bachmann 40 is fine, and no worse than their 45.. As side of being a 45/1 i’m not sure that the Heljan one brings much more to the table.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I keep hearing shouts for a new 40, and theres versions not done since Lima, like Scottish headcode and 40044. and whilst 40145, D212, D213, 40106 and D200 have entertained, again it comes down to green or blue… I think the Bachmann 40 is fine, and no worse than their 45.. As side of being a 45/1 i’m not sure that the Heljan one brings much more to the table.

Not wishing to veer away from the 45’s but as good as the Bachmann cl40 is it still needs quite a few mods like lowering the ride height, adding steam pipes etc etc which are easy enough to do but shouldn’t need doing in the first place.

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, PjKing1 said:

Not wishing to veer away from the 45’s but as good as the Bachmann cl40 is it still needs quite a few mods like lowering the ride height, adding steam pipes etc etc which are easy enough to do but shouldn’t need doing in the first place.

It’s an enjoyable pastime though, isn’t it! Whilst the latest Bachmann and Accurascale locos are superb out of the box, it’s still great fun to detail many of the other models out there.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 97406 said:

It’s an enjoyable pastime though, isn’t it! Whilst the latest Bachmann and Accurascale locos are superb out of the box, it’s still great fun to detail many of the other models out there.

Oh I do enjoy it unless I forget which bits I used for what when I come to doing another one 😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GordonC said:

Is there possibly a couple of factors against them in terms of sales in that they didn't get liveries beyond BR Blue unlike their far more colourful cousins the 47s? While its easy to get lots of 47s in completely different liveries, it'll be less likely for people to buy the same numbers of 45s all in BR Green or Blue? Could their wheel arrangement possibly go against them? I get the impression Class 40s are far more popular for bashers than they are for modellers too (but having said that we rarely seem to get many Class 40 models on the shelves to actually buy - cant buy whats not there!)

6 hours ago, 97406 said:

Yes, 45s always seemed to be the poorer cousins of the 40s at the time, and I was disappointed that the latter were withdrawn earlier in the mid eighties. However I do look back on the Peaks quite warmly, and I am missing a 45/1 in my fleet, as well as a 44 and 46. The RTC 46 would be great, though looking at the prices on Ebay, it will have to be a respray job.

Very much agree.  The "peaks" really were rock solid locos, and loved by the crews that worked them - once the noses were welded anyway !!! They were equally at home on express passengers and heavy freight and out performed the class 47.  The disappointment I have is that so many enthusiasts denigrated them by using the w*g*n word. I believe that had more folk actually experienced one on full chat there would be a little more appreciation. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Very much agree.  The "peaks" really were rock solid locos, and loved by the crews that worked them - once the noses were welded anyway !!! They were equally at home on express passengers and heavy freight and out performed the class 47.  The disappointment I have is that so many enthusiasts denigrated them by using the w*g*n word. I believe that had more folk actually experienced one on full chat there would be a little more appreciation. 

I have a photo somewhere of me on my bed with 44009 on the headboard. Genuine decals c

bought at Derby works open day, the ones with the paper on top that could be overpainted then removed to give a flush finish 🙂🚂🚂🚂🚂

• Like 2

On 30/09/2022 at 13:29, LNERandBR said:

The images shown are taken at different angles. One looking down at the model whilst the other is looking up at the prototype. That changes the perspective and makes straight comparisons difficult.

They are, however this issue was highlighted around 2 years ago when the first samples appeared, whereby images/photos from all angles clearly show the blunder.  All seemingly ignored, of course.  A monumental shame, because I feel that the nose/bonnet shape itself actually captures the 'stubby' look of the prototype far better than the Bachmann model.

Best

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

13 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I like the pony wheel representation, i’m intrigued to see how it handles curves in use, as short 8 wheel base.

However all the previous renditions of the 45 are a moulded rendition of the axle, where as this one is an extension of the wheel and thus rotates.

The pipe and lifting detail between the body and bogie is pretty good, as are the handrails.

The real selling point of this model is that it is a 45/1, weve never had one before with the right roof.

looking at the closeups of the blue ones, there seems to be a lot of black lining around the windows, i’m hoping its more subtle, or gone, on the production ones.

ive always felt the 45 is an under loved class, and from a modelling perspective its lots of tooling variations for very few liveries. Personally once ive a couple, i’m done. The 45 never seemed to be a huge seller for Mainline or Replica and more recently after the starvation of the Model Zone 45.. the 5 that followed have stagnated too. I just dont think 45’s are that popular.

This is true, but the "OO" compromise is that the hole in the bogie side that the axle sticks through has to be much bigger than on the prototype.

Axle.JPG.55ce1893782312b9b8d69c1873f5df6b.JPG

So, which is best - a moulded axle with a correctly sized bogie aperture, or a rotating axle in an oversize one?

Edited by iwfb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, iwfb said:

This is true, but the "OO" compromise is that the hole in the bogie side that the axle sticks through has to be much bigger than on the prototype.

So, which is best - a moulded axle with a correctly sized bogie aperture, or a rotating axle in an oversize one?

Correctly sized is fine by me. Rather have that than gimmicks 

• Agree 5

5 hours ago, iwfb said:

I would assume the reason for the aperture looking oversize is to do with curves on 2nd radius set track  cu .It is a pony truck after all.An improvement over the Competitions offering. 

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Magna Junction said:

Heljan have been known to re-visit locos a few years down the line and give them a re-tool so you never know.

This is something that really annoys me!

It’s like there’re saying “we’ll sell you a crude model for as long as we can get away with, then when enough demand it, we’ll do a better version and sell to you again”

Bachmann are also (more?) guilty of this.

Far better to just get the shape right in the first place, Heljan can do it when they want to otherwise someone might have wanted to tackle the Hymek but there’s no need because it’s great. So many other locos keep having such basic errors though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, iwfb said:

I'm in the camp which prefers dimensional accuracy. Buy hey, if the spinny thing goes round then WOW, its so innovative!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Covkid said:

Back around 1986 I recall an F&W railtour coming down the s&c with 45069 and the atmosphere on board was mutinous to say the least… the booked loco, D200 had failed to materialise… no appreciation there, they would have scrapped that peak by Blackburn if they could.

😀

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 29/09/2022 at 16:08, 96701 said:

I'll wait until I get my hands on one. I had ordered an unnumbered one from Hattons so that I could number it as 60 Lytham St Annes, but they cancelled it as not being produced. I have subsequently pre-ordered 64 Sherwood Forester which I might well still renumber.

When did they cancel that? I’ve ordered one too.

21 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I keep saying this, it’s the class that is literally shouting out for a new model, it would sell like hot cakes, but no, we need more 37s, 47s………. 🙄

Edited by aureol40012
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

I received the following on Thursday 29/09:

"

Good morning Mr Bancroft,

I'm writing to you regarding your order for the Heljan 45109 Class 45/0 'Peak' in BR blue with split centre headcode - unnumbered. 

I'm very sorry to say that this item has now been discontinued, and we will not be receiving any stock.  As a result, I have had to cancel your order. No payment has been taken for this item, and you should receive a separate email confirming the cancellation shortly. 

I'm very sorry for any disappointment this incident may have caused. If you have any questions, please do get in touch."

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

I think the unnumbered ones are all Olivia's Trains commissions, that Hattons were selling too.  The all-green centre split headcode loco has been cancelled too, leaving 4 other un-numbered editions. Presumably it was Olivia's who cancelled them.

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

I keep saying this, it’s the class that is literally shouting out for a new model, it would sell like hot cakes, but no, we need more 37s, 47s………. 🙄

I’d be up for a few meself! The rake of the windscreens needs to be correct, though I’ve seen someone correct the O gauge 40 and it looked great! I’d definitely get a 4mm one to try the same treatment on if one were to be produced and the price was right.

Edited by 97406
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Back around 1986 I recall an F&W railtour coming down the s&c with 45069 and the atmosphere on board was mutinous to say the least… the booked loco, D200 had failed to materialise… no appreciation there, they would have scrapped that peak by Blackburn if they could.

😀

The 40s sounded the better of the 2 classes to these lugholes, and the thrash from them was quite Earth shattering too.  I grew up with them on trains over Skelton Junction and Timperley within earshot of the house. The smaller sulzers also sounded great and were quite memorable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, aureol40012 said:

I have been told by a good source that one is in the pipeline by a certain manufacturer hence why no one else is taking it on but that’s all I know, if Bachmann throw as much effort into a new 40 as they did the 47 then it’ll be worth the wait, I’d have at least four. 

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, 97406 said:

The 40s sounded the better of the 2 classes to these lugholes, and the thrash from them was quite Earth shattering too.  I grew up with them on trains over Skelton Junction and Timperley within earshot of the house. The smaller sulzers also sounded great and were quite memorable.

Totally agree, I grew up near Manchester, you couldnt move for 40’s and 25’s… suddenly woke up one day and they were gone…

Same too for class 124’s.. brief interlude of 55’s, then class 45’s suddenly appeared, didnt rock the party, then the Generator 47’s rolled into town… then ordinary duffs and before you know it it was 155’s and 3 car 158’s.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

So the one 45 I was really interested was the unnumbered blue 45/1 with headlight, catalog 45504, as this is the only plain tops blue one, without cantrail stripe and with headlight announced.

has this been canned to ?

45133 is next closest, but hasnt got the headlight, not hard to add, but its a pain depending how the lighting tracks are.

Hattons are showing all 45’s as sold out, though tbh I’m finding them unreliable anyway.

Edited by adb968008