PTA/JTA/JUA, By Accurascale (NOW WITH ADDED BSC INNERS!)

10 hours ago, No Decorum said:

The curse of a free press. Once the press gets the knife into someone or something, it goes on twisting.

Kind of, but after Rail Express criticised a certain product many years ago, there appears to be a 'free press' unwritten rule.... 

'Thou shall not upset' .......... ' 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As I am getting around to converting these etc I’m going to dredge up the livery application error with the BSSW variant.  I am going to get some new decals made (yes I am aware that one vendor does them but I do not intend to purchase from this source) can I request access to the relevant Accurascale drawing files for the British Steel lettering along side the S logo and arrow element please? (Unless I have missed someone else producing replacements).

thanks in advance.

28999C19-14F3-450F-925A-5B75347C966A.jpeg.d4c835b6885a49a505973a794e9faa9a.jpeg

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Nick-L said:

As I am getting around to converting these etc I’m going to dredge up the livery application error with the BSSW variant.  I am going to get some new decals made (yes I am aware that one vendor does them but I do not intend to purchase from this source) can I request access to the relevant Accurascale drawing files for the British Steel lettering along side the S logo and arrow element please? (Unless I have missed someone else producing replacements).

thanks in advance.

28999C19-14F3-450F-925A-5B75347C966A.jpeg.d4c835b6885a49a505973a794e9faa9a.jpeg

This would also be of interest to me as I'm in the process of correcting these wagons. In addition to the lettering and the logo, the number also needs to be re-positioned so might be good to get that artwork or a confirmation of font and sizing. 

• Agree 1

For anyone interested - I am getting these drawn up off my own back now (and yes that will have to include paying someone to do the artwork from scratch…..).  I will post up somewhere here my results and how I get on with the fix once I receive them.  These will be freshly produced to an up to date standard (ie not decades old and intended for the superseded model).

Shame to have to have waste time, effort and money to fix what is otherwise a very good model but there we are.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...

Well after some back and forth and the odd, ahem, unfulfilled promise let’s say (and £60 later) I have had these drawn up and printed.  

Can’t say I am looking forward to the hours involved in fixing this but at least there’s a solution available for anyone who wants to do it.  

The procedure I used to remove the incorrectly applied branding was enamel thinner and a small hard cotton bud. Incidentally the paint isn’t great and you will have to be quite careful to avoid the need to patch paint (I was doing a Hornby 60 renumber alongside and found the paintwork to be more durable).  These are ALPS printed onto film so you’d be well advised to put down a nice smooth gloss coat to hide as much carrier film (and cut them out close to the print of course).  Another couple of coats of gloss and a light rub down with 3000 grit should unify everything.

Anyway, hope that helps?

395248F5-1A28-4C73-BF50-D7DA3EE03740.jpeg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Nick-L said:

Well after some back and forth and the odd, ahem, unfulfilled promise let’s say (and £60 later) I have had these drawn up and printed.  

Can’t say I am looking forward to the hours involved in fixing this but at least there’s a solution available for anyone who wants to do it.  

The procedure I used to remove the incorrectly applied branding was enamel thinner and a small hard cotton bud. Incidentally the paint isn’t great and you will have to be quite careful to avoid the need to patch paint (I was doing a Hornby 60 renumber alongside and found the paintwork to be more durable).  These are ALPS printed onto film so you’d be well advised to put down a nice smooth gloss coat to hide as much carrier film (and cut them out close to the print of course).  Another couple of coats of gloss and a light rub down with 3000 grit should unify everything.

Anyway, hope that helps?

395248F5-1A28-4C73-BF50-D7DA3EE03740.jpeg

Have you tried a cotton bud that has been dipped in 10% diluted IPA and then dipped in T Cut?

Works quickly on Bachmann printed decals, just used on two DRS class 20 bodies.

john

From my point of view, this method is perfectly adequate.  I am aware of the respective qualities of IPA and T-cut - pretty much all my locos are repainted so have a fair amount of experience in what works and what doesn’t. Incidentally, IPA (for example) still removes the rather ‘soft’ paint finish on these wagons so no particularly advantage in using it over enamel thinner.

Edited by Nick-L
Added additional technique detail

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Just to follow up on this, we have created a set of transfers which will be available to customers who wish to correct their wagons as discussed above. 

IMG_1067.jpg.ba3410d153a733a9f4b46abf5329da5e.jpg

We began work on these in March this year and hoped to have them complete in a shorter space of time but it took longer than expected due to a few attempts to get the transfers to a level we were completely happy with. These are now being printed by our good friends at railtec and are due with us in a couple of weeks time. 

Indeed, I had reached out to Nick previously informing him that we were doing the transfers back in March but they did take longer than I had envisaged initially. That's on me and I apologise to Nick for that, but was outside of my control. I have contacted Nick via PM to help make up for it. 

Once we receive them we will invite customers who wish to correct their British Steel wagons to contact us with proof of purchase and we will post them out for free of charge. We will also provide a fitting guide on the website. Look out for instructions on how to redeem yours which will be posted here once they arrive with us which we will post here.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

As noted by Fran, I have received a settlement offer for my troubles, which is appreciated.

I shall be trying some of the Accurascale produced decals alongside the ones I have produced and will post some updates on my remediation work.

• Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Just to follow up on this, we have created a set of transfers which will be available to customers who wish to correct their wagons as discussed above. 

These are now being printed by our good friends at railtec and are due with us in a couple of weeks time.

These all went out on Monday to Steve, so should hopefully be with you now.

Edited by railtec-models
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

10 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

We began work on these in March this year and hoped to have them complete in a shorter space of time but it took longer than expected due to a few attempts to get the transfers to a level we were completely happy with. These are now being printed by our good friends at railtec and are due with us in a couple of weeks time. 

Indeed, I had reached out to Nick previously informing him that we were doing the transfers back in March but they did take longer than I had envisaged initially. That's on me and I apologise to Nick for that, but was outside of my control. I have contacted Nick via PM to help make up for it. 

Once we receive them we will invite customers who wish to correct their British Steel wagons to contact us with proof of purchase and we will post them out for free of charge. We will also provide a fitting guide on the website. Look out for instructions on how to redeem yours which will be posted here once they arrive with us which we will post here.

Cheers!

Fran

Hi Fran,

Will you ever be doing a future run of the British Steel liveried wagons?

Would like a longer rake as i've extended my layout.

Thanks

Scott.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Magna Junction said:

Hi Fran,

Will you ever be doing a future run of the British Steel liveried wagons?

Would like a longer rake as i've extended my layout.

Thanks

Scott.

Oh yes. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @Accurascale Fran & @McC

had a few questions regarding these superb wagons. Looking to model some of the VTG variant and noticed the rakes that made it into the 2010’s seemed to be more varied…

My understanding of reading back through the thread and some limited research is they were in fixed formations of 5 or 10 with 2 outers and the remaining inners. This only changed when they started work on the mendips and individual wagons started to be swapped in and out of different rakes more regularly. This meaning that the 5 or 10 sets were not really the case any more. As you have only released these in sets of fives, is there any logical way of building up rakes of the mendip and more recent rakes? For example I am looking at a rake which is 

x1 VTG (Outer), x5 VTG (Inner), x2 VTG (Outer), x7 VTG (Inner), x1 Yeoman ‘Y’ (Outer)

seen here in the first clip of this video on youtube (not mine): https://youtu.be/ngQWiSzJrYo 

I appreciate you sell in packs of 5 to keep costs down but is there a simple way to try and build up a prototypical rake such as this that can be done a future batch? 

Also, is there any plans to produce further inners or runs of the VTG livery any time soon as it has been a few years became available, and the later Yeoman ‘Y’ livery type ?

Thanks

Peter

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, WCML100 said:

Also, is there any plans to produce further inners or runs of the VTG livery any time soon as it has been a few years became available, and the later Yeoman ‘Y’ livery type ?

Yes, Yes and Yes though it will likely remain 5-packs to hold the unit price. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Couple more quick questions from me - I note in your workings chart that the VTG grey ones were listed to get up to West Ruislip. I haven't seen anything showing that they made it further west during the later years than Acton. Do you have any research to show them working to West Ruislip at all? 

Also they bogies on these wagons are fantastic - is it something you may offer as a spare at all? 

thanks