All-new Heljan 47 in 00 gauge

Ouroborus

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Pendle Forest said:

From the pics it does look like the lip below the front cab windows, looks more like a shelf.  I'm not convinced it captures the front face correctly at all

I’m hoping @adb968008 is buying one so we get one of his superb comparisons. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

On 06/03/2024 at 11:42, The Ghost of IKB said:

Looking forward to a head to head comparison with Bachmann's.

Why? The only valid comparison is with the prototype.

• Round of applause 2

1 hour ago, DropTheTap said:

Not really. Clearly the prototype is the reference point so far as appearance goes. But things like the compromises made to execute a model, the mechanism and running qualities, these are perfectly reasonable things to compare which have nothing to do with how the full scale prototype was built or ran.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DropTheTap said:

Indeed but I’m sure he means comparing the two versions in different areas to see which version is closest to the prototype.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just arrived from TMC.  Looks like a 47 to me. Next to the Bachmann version prior to running in.  One grab handle loose and now detached - will be an easy fix.  Sound set up as supplied a lot better than Bachmanns.  

IMG_1658.jpeg

IMG_1659.jpeg

IMG_1661.jpeg

IMG_1656.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Just arrived from TMC.  Looks like a 47 to me. Next to the Bachmann version prior to running in.  One grab handle loose and now detached - will be an easy fix.  Sound set up as supplied a lot better than Bachmanns.  

IMG_1658.jpeg

IMG_1659.jpeg

IMG_1661.jpeg

IMG_1656.jpeg

It certainly looks the part - makes the Bachmann model look a little 'tubby'; (ironic, really)!

If I had to criticise, the numbering is a little 'heavy'.

CJI.

• Like 1

It's a nice model. But that cab door handle surround jars. The printing of the number isn't great but it could just be that model. I don't think I will be rushing out to get one I have a feeling Bachmann will be dropping another batch and they will be competitively priced. 

Screenshot_20240310_082545_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240310_082405_Flickr.jpg

• Agree 1

I think the green livery is better than Bachmann's especially the yellow. 

There are lots of niggling little errors in my opinion, the top handrail is too low and straight and reminds of a hymek, the footsteps are too close together because the bodyshell is essentially a modified cut cab version, what was Heljan thinking using this short cut? 

The headcode panel looks too low and slightly too big, the whole face is just not quite there, this is not a £212 loco. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

I think we're all familiar with the pricing approach these days by pretty much all manufacturers. First releases, RRP or minimal discount, those who want a specific example now or for whom money is no object will buy. After a couple of months, a better offer on some examples will no doubt appear. A little further down the line a retailer may decide to clear some stock and offer a special deal, or the manufacturer will want to move a slower selling line and do a deal with retailers. If you're not picky on the exact one you want there will be more agreeable deals to come.

I'm not biting with these right now but can see myself succumbing down the line - we may have a glut of 47s right now (as with 37s) but if your modelling period encompasses these locos there's always an excuse for another one.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, andyman7 said:

I think we're all familiar with the pricing approach these days by pretty much all manufacturers. First releases, RRP or minimal discount, those who want a specific example now or for whom money is no object will buy. After a couple of months, a better offer on some examples will no doubt appear. A little further down the line a retailer may decide to clear some stock and offer a special deal, or the manufacturer will want to move a slower selling line and do a deal with retailers. If you're not picky on the exact one you want there will be more agreeable deals to come.

That only happens with some locos, it depends how well they initially sell, which is a consequence of the manufacturer having to estimate in advance likely sales when placing an order with the factory.  Sometimes the manufacturer under-produces vs actual demand, which results in them not being available except for the pre-orders and you can only get them second hand at silly money prices on ebay.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Probably take 5 mins in total to drill and push them in?

But you shouldn't have to, is anybody thinking of drilling their Cavalex 56.....?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

That only happens with some locos, it depends how well they initially sell, which is a consequence of the manufacturer having to estimate in advance likely sales when placing an order with the factory.  Sometimes the manufacturer under-produces vs actual demand, which results in them not being available except for the pre-orders and you can only get them second hand at silly money prices on ebay.

Indeed, and if you really want something then to pre-order and buy on release makes sense. Items such as the Kernow GWR Railmotor are real 'one-offs' and I would not hang back if I wanted one. But a Class 47 is a different matter, with a much higher chance of at least some liveries hanging around

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Probably take 5 mins in total to drill and push them in?

And maybe I’ll get an angle grinder and fix the shape at the same time ?

• Agree 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Accepting that I am £330 committed to the deal I would add the following after 24 hours ownership:-

• Its an exceptionally smooth runner. A squeak on curves that appeared in one direction after 30 mins (an hour in both directions being my standard minimum for acceptance) has completely disappeared.
  • Set up of the sound project is perfect  - it runs from a crawl at speed step 1. This hasnt been the case with V5 fitted Deltics or 37's from elsewhere.
  • The bogie, chassis and bufferbeam detail is very finely rendered. The bogies have a pleasing crispness to the moulding which I think just pips the Bachmann version.
  • As is Heljans way, the detail is delicate - the broken lower cab grab rail is a disappointment. Its very fine, I'm not sure if its wire or plastic but it will be a trickier fix than anticipated as It looks to have snapped rather than come out of its hole. Still it will be fixed rather than returned and it is on what will be the trailing cab in any case once I've got a coupling fitted.
  • The standard of finish is top notch. Agree the cabside number is a little too large.
  • Digital photo's are cruel and I didnt notice the sticking out cab handrails. Obviously only visible from head on. With my 58 year old eyes and +1.50 reading glasses I'm not sure I'm going to bother about them!

Agree there is a question mark over the face of the model and I made negative observations about samples I saw at Warley earlier in this thread. No doubt that it differs from the Bachmann model in its interpretation of cab shape.  Truth is running on the layout (and as you will have seen from my photo's there is a lot to do on the 'layout'!) they both say 'Class 47' to me with equal conviction.

An expensive purchase without a doubt but also the only GSYP Brush Type 4 available to buy new at the moment. The Legoman V5 project plus speakers is an easy £120 worth on its own so the base price is £210 for a big diesel which is just in the upper range off the ball park. Heljan mechanisms and electronics on big diesels are bullet proof in my experience (as are Bachmann) so I have paid for and received exactly what I expected which is in my view worth the relatively small premium.

Whether there will be a discounting war I dont know - perhaps with the more niche liveries but I dont expect the next set of Bachmann releases will significantly undercut Heljan as sadly inflation is only going one way. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, GD said:

I think the green livery is better than Bachmann's especially the yellow. 

Funny how we look at models so differently. The yellow on the Heljan model looks out to me, as if they have used the post 1985 shade on a model pre-dating that period. Something has happened too often across most manufacturers.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Funny how we look at models so differently. The yellow on the Heljan model looks out to me, as if they have used the post 1985 shade on a model pre-dating that period. Something has happened too often across most manufacturers.

Roy

This topic has arisen before. Appreciate that photos can’t be viewed as definitive but I do think the Bachmann shade veers to far towards a lemon shade.  This contemporary painting is interesting 

IMG_1665.jpeg

• Like 1