All-new Heljan 47 in 00 gauge

Ouroborus

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

It would seem that a significant proportion of the members who are posting in this thread feel that they could do a better job than the mainstream model producers.

Now that we have easily accessible CAD design software, and domestic 3D printers, perhaps it is high time that one or more of these dissatisfied potential model purchasers demonstrated how model design SHOULD be done?

After all, we are assured that all that is needed is basic competence with a tape measure - surely it cannot be that difficult to produce a design for the definitive Brush Type 4?

I await developments with interest - but I won't hold my breath!

CJI.

Or just buy a Bachmann 47 with significantly less issues that are easier to resolve.

Heljan have produced some really good models over time... I just don't agree this is one of them. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

I read all of the above with acknowledgement to the knowledge and experience of forum members. This particular model has been on sale now for barely a week and I have to wonder how many of the above observations are based on a viewing of it on plain sight rather than a website based a digital image. I’m suspending my own opinions until I see one “break cover”. That won’t be for a while

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Well my GM Exclusive Aldeburgh Festival 47596 in revised NSE livery arrived today, and first impressions are excellent. Straight out of the box it has a good weight and after reading* through the manual and running in I set about fitting some TXS Bluetooth sound. 

(*skimming).

Actual body removal was simple with four screws. The bogies seem to have a bit more give in them compared to their Bachmann class mates. I’ll report back once I’ve had a garage session with the layout as I’ve got some helixes and uneven storage sidings.😆 It should certainly look at home with the new Accurascale Mk2bs. 

I’m hopeful that my other Heljan 47’s on order are equally as good as this one.

regards Peter

IMG_3051.jpeg.96c7629864d11fc2c9b228f0b43372eb.jpegIMG_3052.jpeg.678c67f108347e5169f93a75ffa9e4d8.jpegIMG_3054.jpeg.805c0efefe912804a0a22d28fc17186a.jpegIMG_3055.jpeg.b89da9faad8e01e1d679e84ccd0cac9d.jpeg

IMG_3053.jpeg

Edited by Pedro32
Updated
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Appreciate I may be coming across as if I have shares in Heljan (!) but another positive to report. Have fitted as No 18 Kadee to the Number 2 end with all the detail parts still in place (which incidentally took me well over an hour to fit to one end of my Bachmann version and dont even get me started on the Accurascale Deltic!) and it traverses my layout without issue. So thats down to a minimum radius 36 inch (for curved Peco turnout). 

Edited by MikeParkin65
Important typo - missing 'if'!
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I need some 7mm conflat transfers - maybe you can advise if all the interpretations are equal :)

I can only comment upon my own - which are, of course, exemplary!

CJI.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Appreciate I may be coming across as I have shares in Heljan (!) but another positive to report. Have fitted as No 18 Kadee to the Number 2 end with all the detail parts still in place (which incidentally took me well over an hour to fit to one end of my Bachmann version and dont even get me started on the Accurascale Deltic!) and it traverses my layout without issue. So thats down to a minimum radius 36 inch (for curved Peco turnout). 

You are allowed to praise models for being good models.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

Whilst its a definite improvment over the original, the headcode area and the cab windows look too tall. The headlight is flat looking and the bufferbeam cowling lacks the "lip" on the front so is too shallow. It is also little odd they havnt moulded on the window washer jets, but something that can be added easily enough.

Not sure id part ways with my Vi-trains 47s just yet

NL

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I managed to pop into the garage to do some testing of the loco on my layout track work. Haulage ability is impressive. I will remove the pipe work detailing from both ends as this restricts the movement of the nem coupling in my view- (others may disagree- but I’m basing that on the Heljan 25 I have which has a similar coupling set up). 

The loco passed through all my uneven yard areas and helix. Thumbs up from me. 😀

Regards Peter

IMG_3056.jpeg

IMG_3057.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 09/03/2024 at 17:06, MikeParkin65 said:

IMG_1658.jpeg

Class48_4820_D1702_Front_WEB.jpg.aab41f7f4f65885d5d95262ac8d520d9.jpg

[Photo above taken from the Kernow MRC/ModelRailOffers website]

I do think the front cab windows of the Heljan 47 (on the left in MikeParkin65's photo) are too square - the Bachmann 47 is better in that area. However, the Heljan Class 48 looks much better based on the photo above from the ModelRailOffers website. The curve of the front handrail also looks more accurate. The headcode panel is still too big though. Is the Class 48 a completely separate body tooling rather than just different slides for the roof? 

Edited by brushman47544
addition
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I've just received my BR blue 47 137, and it looks like a 47 to me.  I can't wait to get it on the layout and put it through its paces.  I'm sure it will have the superb mechanism I have come to expect from Heljan, and I am looking forward to hearing what they have done with their first sound-equipped loco.

It will also be interesting to set it beside the new Bachmann 47 - which failed almost immediately after I put it on the layout, and has not worked since (and which I should obviously have boxed up and sent back, but I have just not got round to it).   

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, uk_pm said:

I've just received my BR blue 47 137, and it looks like a 47 to me.  I can't wait to get it on the layout and put it through its paces.  I'm sure it will have the superb mechanism I have come to expect from Heljan, and I am looking forward to hearing what they have done with their first sound-equipped loco.

It will also be interesting to set it beside the new Bachmann 47 - which failed almost immediately after I put it on the layout, and has not worked since (and which I should obviously have boxed up and sent back, but I have just not got round to it).   

Both superb models - get the Bachmann one fixed, its worth it :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I’m going to do my shopping at ally pally this weekend and take a look close up… 47596 was a north west visitor for a while, though 47555 was everyones everywhere loco and on my list, Olivias looks to be first with photos of it…

https://oliviastrains.com/product/Heljan-4724-class-47-4-47555-the-commonwealth-spirit-in-intercity-executive-livery/

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I’m going to do my shopping at ally pally this weekend and take a look close up… 47596 was a north west visitor for a while, though 47555 was everyones everywhere loco and on my list, Olivias looks to be first with photos of it…

https://oliviastrains.com/product/Heljan-4724-class-47-4-47555-the-commonwealth-spirit-in-intercity-executive-livery/

Not impressed with the paint finish I am seeing on these. Both 47596 and 47555 as shown are showing blemishes etc. 

Roy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I’m afraid that livery seems to accentuate the tallness of the cab. Points scored though for the black windscreen surrounds which were a subtle feature on the ones released from Crewe. I had to add them on the 86 as well as tweaking the dark grey band’s lower edge down a tad, but that’s a different story.

On 13/03/2024 at 14:01, brushman47544 said:

Class48_4820_D1702_Front_WEB.jpg.aab41f7f4f65885d5d95262ac8d520d9.jpg

[Photo above taken from the Kernow MRC/ModelRailOffers website]

I do think the front cab windows of the Heljan 47 (on the left in MikeParkin65's photo) are too square

I'm not seeing that on the window frames themselves - but perhaps the fit of the glazing in the top corners gives that impression?

I believe the standard depth of BR headcode characters is one foot - do they measure 4mm on this model? They certainly look bigger than Bachmann's (which may be smaller than this of course). The Class 47 headcode panel did have a sizeable black margin around it, as clearly seen in @50A55B's photo but Heljan's headcode panel, although neatly done, just seems a little.....exaggerated.......

• Agree 1

There’s a handrail missing as well, so I doubt it would be the production version. At least I hope not…..

I actually think it looks ok. I think certain liveries will help hide some of the issues with the face.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, IRC said:

There’s a handrail missing as well, so I doubt it would be the production version. At least I hope not…..

I actually think it looks ok. I think certain liveries will help hide some of the issues with the face.

Yes, GSYP and NSE look OK. I’d like to hear the sound as this may swing it for me with the NSE one at the right price.

On 12/03/2024 at 17:49, Pedro32 said:

Well my GM Exclusive Aldeburgh Festival 47596 in revised NSE livery arrived today, and first impressions are excellent. Straight out of the box it has a good weight and after reading* through the manual and running in I set about fitting some TXS Bluetooth sound. 

(*skimming).

Actual body removal was simple with four screws. The bogies seem to have a bit more give in them compared to their Bachmann class mates. I’ll report back once I’ve had a garage session with the layout as I’ve got some helixes and uneven storage sidings.😆 It should certainly look at home with the new Accurascale Mk2bs. 

I’m hopeful that my other Heljan 47’s on order are equally as good as this one.

regards Peter

IMG_3051.jpeg.96c7629864d11fc2c9b228f0b43372eb.jpegIMG_3052.jpeg.678c67f108347e5169f93a75ffa9e4d8.jpegIMG_3054.jpeg.805c0efefe912804a0a22d28fc17186a.jpegIMG_3055.jpeg.b89da9faad8e01e1d679e84ccd0cac9d.jpeg

IMG_3053.jpeg

Does it run ok with the HM7000? 

Do you think there would be room for the stay alive?

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Does it run ok with the HM7000? 

Do you think there would be room for the stay alive?

Hi, 

Yes mine runs absolutely flawlessly with the Hornby TXS decoder. I used one of the speaker chambers which was already prefitted- so just stuck the speaker enclosure down (there are two side by side). The surplus speaker enclosure I covered over with black tack. I did struggle to find space for a stay alive though so opted to not fit that. Others may decide they can find space for the stay alive somewhere. 

regards Peter

Edited by Pedro32
Amends

Been fascinating to catch up on this thread. 

I love a 47 and reasonably expect to pick up at least one of these in the future, but considering the lukewarm response I might gamble on them to be reduced. 

I understand the reasons, but seeing these come out at £60 more than the 57 and at the same time as well, it's difficult to swallow.

Whilst I do find some criticisms of this model to be a bit harsh, I can understand that when spending what for some people is a week's wages on a model you do have to be perfectly happy with what you're buying. 

Either way, no budget left this month so I'll keep reading with interest while also coveting the Sir Gwynedd that's currently reduced with Kernow...

• Like 1