Kato/Peco Announce FR Locos in 009! (confirmed!)

Edge

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Apparently Palmerston is to be released later by Peco/Kato

It was announced in the November Railway Modeller with the images of the green versions. 

E05E3196-5923-453A-9F08-DE7505724F41.jpeg.e0c4a47cbd8b0d4a415b1a530a335357.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, JaymzHatstand said:

Number 4 would require a bit of work, he has a different smokebox handrails and the nameplates are in a different position, being at the front of the tanks rather than central, so there'd be some carving and repainting to do. I suspect there are several other differences, but those are the two big visual ones that I can think of at present!

I'm sure someone can provide a little more detail on that. 

Hope this helps.

Cheers

J

The biggest difference is the shorter cab, several inches were removed from the back half of Palmerston's cab supposedly to allow it to get into the darkest depths of the LNWR exchange yard at Blaenau.

Martin

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/11/2022 at 18:47, Butler Henderson said:

I emailed Peco re the crankipins and they have put a set of the new ones in the post free of charge.

I just wanted to chime in and say that Peco could not have been more helpful on this front.

One of the crank pins on my Prince came loose and pinged off into the ether. I emailed Peco that evening and the spare pins were in the post the next morning. 

They arrived half an hour ago. I’d grabbed some tweezers and a cup of tea and prepared for a fiddly job, but they come attached to a sprue, making it a simple matter of lining up the holes, pressing the pin home, and snapping off the sprue. Less than two minutes and Prince is happily running again.

Edited by Watto1990
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm about to sin and ask a speculative question for which I apologise in advance...

By way of appeasement and visual aid I offer this image.

Compress_20230104_153406_6671.jpg.0af7cf4257b51272e66ff0f1a0667e49.jpg

I'd like to have this train exactly as shown. It was only when I got to the FR shop I clocked that Welsh Pony is a large England and currently Peco have produced the small England's. Had they steamed a small England that day I'd be poorer and the FR richer!

What are my options/chances? (And yes I said train deliberately to include the carriages).

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, SR71 said:

I'm about to sin and ask a speculative question for which I apologise in advance...

By way of appeasement and visual aid I offer this image.

Compress_20230104_153406_6671.jpg.0af7cf4257b51272e66ff0f1a0667e49.jpg

I'd like to have this train exactly as shown. It was only when I got to the FR shop I clocked that Welsh Pony is a large England and currently Peco have produced the small England's. Had they steamed a small England that day I'd be poorer and the FR richer!

What are my options/chances? (And yes I said train deliberately to include the carriages).

There have been hints about Kato doing the Large Englands but no details of whether that’s a separate moulding. 
The latest is Palmerston, also a Small England, will be offered later this year. 

The coaches look like 11 & 12 and Fourdees have just done them  as 3D print kits. They are done in batches on their eBay shop so it might be worth contacting him to see when the next batch is due. seller: fourdees_limited 

Photos ©️ Fourdees

51111B5E-0D38-42AD-8A47-127155779AE2.jpeg.dac61453ad921898537e9608aa68904d.jpeg

64DD26E7-702D-444D-830F-338BE40A6C97.jpeg.9943022383572b0a3b505a12ee319a5b.jpeg

• Thanks 1

The Large Englands have an extra 6" of wheelbase and disc type wheels, rather than spoked. The cabs are longer at the back, the doorway more or less in the middle whereas Prince, Princess and Palmerston cab sheets are all shorter aft of the doorway.

Of course the current Prince has a noticeably taller cab than the others (since it re-entered service in 1980) with wider doorways.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

The Large Englands have an extra 6" of wheelbase and disc type wheels, rather than spoked. The cabs are longer at the back, the doorway more or less in the middle whereas Prince, Princess and Palmerston cab sheets are all shorter aft of the doorway.

There was rumour that they’d do a generic halfway model to cover all at first but fortunately they have gone with a more accurate decision and the fact that at least two more runs are already announced for 2023 with green ones followed later by Palmerston, (Nov 22 RM), suggests the Small version is doing ok so fingers crossed it leads on to another announcement. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

My first batch Princess came with both N Gauge and the usual Peco 009 coupler. Can't remember what was fitted on the loco when in the box now.

I buy a lot of Kato for a n gauge layout I have so see their promotional posters, and this loco has been promoted to Japanese modellers too, so my guess would be the inclusion of an N gauge coupler is so they can use it with n gauge wagons as they have no oo9 stock to run it with? Seems to be popular with modellers who make custom diorama track sections (can't remember the proper term) which is big in Japan

Edited by drt7uk

On 18/02/2023 at 12:09, woodenhead said:

Interesting that Japanese New Englanders have N gauge couplings.

That's the norm for Japanese HO narrow gauge models from what I've seen, so makes sense that Kato would supply them for the domestic market with those fitted.

A set of brass wagons I saw on eBay once are the only Japanese models I can recall seeing that came with with OO9/H0e/HOn30 loop couplings fitted.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This is a bit of a request for aid from anyone who has fitted a Digitrax DZ126 to their small England.  I am having great difficulty in setting the CV's to give smooth running at low speed it judders a lot when run slowly, without a rather annoying ticking sound from the motor.  This noise which doesn't change in frequency as speed changes I can get rid of but only at the expense of the slow speed juddering coming back.  Any advice on the CV's around back EMF would be really helpful :-)

• 2 months later...