Class 37, by Accurascale

If 37714 is part of the second run, then possibly other refurbished freight machines might also be part of it?

37714 was originally a split headcode box machine, so if the tooling is right, then 37/5's would also fit into that.

So hopefully loadhaul, mainline, and, transrail liveries in the next batch, sorry second run? Along with triple railfreight grey, with various sub- sector markings, post 1987/8? Along with the two versions of ews maroon and gold? (EW&S, and, EWS).

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

I was thinking about this the other day as even though the new releases are spectacular and the finish on them is superb that layouts may become very dull (including mine!)

I must admit to waiting until the relevant loco type and livery is produced more these days. However, any errors in livery application will be corrected (the Heljan IC executive 86 being an example) and careless purchases that are out of era tend to get amendments to the detailing and a respray rather than getting sold on Ebay.

I can also see a resurgence in modeling rolling stock happening with coaches and wagons when the layout eventually gets extended, Those old Lima MK2Fs scrub up well if you fit Lazerglaze…

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, MidlandRed said:

Yes that’s the one - I seem to remember some D688x locos having these - could this be an extra item in the detail pack for the forthcoming (we very much hope…..) WR versions in green and pre-TOPS blue? With a plug in and blanking plate for the electrical connector 🥴 perhaps too much of a flight of fancy haha!! 

NB similar car headlights were carried by the Central Wales class 120 units mounted centrally (or thereabouts) in between the windscreens (along with the centre car not being there - not sure if they were removed from the units allocated or whether they got the handful of two cars as delivered). 

Yes mostly D688x but a few other too . On the 120 they went on the hand rail between the windscreens 

Class 120 with headlamp

1 hour ago, sulzer71 said:

Certainly won't be for me 

I need 5 locomotives to run my 1983 Mallaig extension diagram (as it now includes plans to model Fort William too) and once my 2 Accurascale beasts arrive I will have 6. Now if Accurascale or Bachmann for that matter produce a suitable model for my era I will make a purchase. If this happens to replicate one I already have then the earlier example will be renumbered and modified if necessary. I would happily renumber an Accurascale or Bachmann 37 to give me another Eastfield loco. Now I appreciate that renumbering a loco hardly counts as modelling but where I’m at with my layout I already have plenty of modelling to keep me going for the foreseeable. Then as posted above there are all those wagon kits to purchase and build. Some folks will go to town on a high end brand new model with little embellishments. Do these fantastic models kill modelling? I really doubt that anything would kill our desire for something unique to us.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, newbryford said:

Does this mean the beginning of the end of modelling as we know it?

I'm sure this was said somewhat in jest. The Accurascale chaps can't win. Dammed if they do, dammed if they don't. I think the thing is it's rare to have people in charge of the company, alongside designers and researchers, who share the same passion as their customers down to getting these tiny details correct. Also credit where credit is due, a factory that is also clearly also motivated to do a great job with multiple iterations. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, E100 said:

I'm sure this was said somewhat in jest. The Accurascale chaps can't win. Dammed if they do, dammed if they don't. I think the thing is it's rare to have people in charge of the company, alongside designers and researchers, who share the same passion as their customers down to getting these tiny details correct. Also credit where credit is due, a factory that is also clearly also motivated to do a great job with multiple iterations. 

And deliver on time! 👌

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, MidlandRed said:

Yes that’s the one - I seem to remember some D688x locos having these - could this be an extra item in the detail pack for the forthcoming (we very much hope…..) WR versions in green and pre-TOPS blue? With a plug in and blanking plate for the electrical connector 🥴 perhaps too much of a flight of fancy haha!! 

NB similar car headlights were carried by the Central Wales class 120 units mounted centrally (or thereabouts) in between the windscreens (along with the centre car not being there - not sure if they were removed from the units allocated or whether they got the handful of two cars as delivered). 

I understand that the lights came from Halfords (or an equivalent in the motor trade) and were definitely a standard type of supplementary spot light normally sold for use on cars.  They were described as 'fixed beam headlights' and were only permitted to be use on a specific stretch of the Central Wales Line.  

So for anyone running a model of one on anything other than a model of the appropriate part of the Central Wales Line they do not need to work.

• Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I understand that the lights came from Halfords (or an equivalent in the motor trade) and were definitely a standard type of supplementary spot light normally sold for use on cars.  They were described as 'fixed beam headlights' and were only permitted to be use on a specific stretch of the Central Wales Line.  

So for anyone running a model of one on anything other than a model of the appropriate part of the Central Wales Line they do not need to work.

Or a TMD where they might test the lighting? 

16 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

If 37714 is part of the second run, then possibly other refurbished freight machines might also be part of it?

37714 was originally a split headcode box machine, so if the tooling is right, then 37/5's would also fit into that.

So hopefully loadhaul, mainline, and, transrail liveries in the next batch, sorry second run? Along with triple railfreight grey, with various sub- sector markings, post 1987/8? Along with the two versions of ews maroon and gold? (EW&S, and, EWS).

Are the 37/5’s and 37/7’s the same tooling or are there subtle differences?

What it does allow Accurascale to do is what Bachmann have done; namely produce multiple iterations of the same tooling in short timescales with livery differences. Where Bachmann have produced multiple 37/4’s in their initial run A/S could produce multiple 37/7’s in Railfreight grey, Trainload petroleum and Trainload coal (and others but I model late eighties so am being selfish 😄) alongside 37714 and I know it would cost me a pretty penny!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, McC said:

We can't reveal exactly what will make up the next number of batches, but I'd expect to see 37/7 and 37/4 and 37/0 and 37/8 and 37/9 and 37/6 and more :) 

Isn’t it easier to list what we won’t see?!?!

Sounds expensive and I can’t wait!

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, McC said:

We can't reveal exactly what will make up the next number of batches, but I'd expect to see 37/7 and 37/4 and 37/0 and 37/8 and 37/9 and 37/6 and more :) 

Isn’t a 37 in the 378xx series actually a heavyweight 37/7? They adopted some bizarre numbering with the class 37 refurbishment.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Anything after a 37/4 is a figment of some youthful imagination, as the railways didn't exist after 1985.  AS, please ignore all of the strange imaginary requests above 😂

Steve

• Agree 3
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, 55020 said:

Anything after a 37/4 is a figment of some youthful imagination, as the railways didn't exist after 1985.  AS, please ignore all of the strange imaginary requests above 😂

Steve

I remember when I heard that the split box 37s were going to have their headcode boxes removed to become 37/5 and 37/7 and wondering if they’d look odd like the few 37/0s that had them removed from collisions, etc beforehand.

However I really liked 37501 when I saw it freshly painted in Railfreight at Crewe works. Catching the test trains in the North Wales coast too made me develop a fondness for the 37 refurb program.

Nevertheless, I’m still glad that plenty of 37/0s survived without the changes.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 97406 said:

Isn’t a 37 in the 378xx series actually a heavyweight 37/7? They adopted some bizarre numbering with the class 37 refurbishment.

37/8s are heavyweights, but ex centre headcode box as opposed to the ex split headcode box 37/7s. 

2 hours ago, McC said:

is there a time we can expect the next batch to be announced? As I would like to know whether it is worth ordering one or two from this batch or wait for the next...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Knapdale said:

37/8s are heavyweights, but ex centre headcode box as opposed to the ex split headcode box 37/7s. 

Never officially a 37/8 sub class was there? Weren’t they all 37/7? 701 to 799 were former split box types and 800 to 899 were centre head codes as you are alluding and all ‘heavyweights’ as apposed to the 37/5 (501 to 699).

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, IRC said:

Are the 37/5’s and 37/7’s the same tooling or are there subtle differences?

37/7 has the body side windows plated over due to the addition of weight inside but otherwise similar - both types featured variety of nose grilles, cantrail grilles etc within the subclass.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, E100 said:

I'm sure this was said somewhat in jest. 

Actually no.

It was a serious question and is worth a separate thread on it's own IMO.

"I'll wait until manufacturer YYYY makes loco/coach/wagon XXXX?"

"I don't want to risk damaging a £zzz model".

I have put on hold (or re-directed the resources) a couple of projects as manufacturers have announced the same, but if manufacturer YYYY shows no inclination of making XXXX in a reasonable time, then it's out with the paint/saw/filler/decals etc.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, newbryford said:

Actually no.

It was a serious question and is worth a separate thread on it's own IMO.

"I'll wait until manufacturer YYYY makes loco/coach/wagon XXXX?"

"I don't want to risk damaging a £zzz model".

I have put on hold (or re-directed the resources) a couple of projects as manufacturers have announced the same, but if manufacturer YYYY shows no inclination of making XXXX in a reasonable time, then it's out with the paint/saw/filler/decals etc.

I agree

I havent jumped on the Manors for exactly that reason.

10 years ago, I had built up my fleet of Mainline/Bachmann Manors, which included ones close to me, inc 7812/7822/7827/7828 in BR Green, and 7819 in Lined Black. I have other “number fillers” around them.

Thing is they are all the same tooling, so renumbers was easy, and each cost under £50. Any kits/bits are invariably castings etc made in the 1980’s to suit the original tooling

But now we have two choices, each one making a model identical to the prototype number. Unfortunately 18 models of a fleet of 30 between two Manufacturers completely missed all of the above.

The dilemma is to buy a £170 model, and affix 1980’s era castings designed for a different tooling to get the prototype I want.. or simply sit it out and wait.

Whilst I bought a lot of Deltics, I missed 55001 with dominos, and 55007 in FP or 55019 in 1980’s Blue or D9000 in 2000’s VTXC hasnt made the cut, they surely will.

However with the 37 its slightly different… theres 300 of them, with a minimum of 4 livery variants each, and in some individual cases more than 10 liveries on a single loco… even Jobbing out 20 locos a year x 2 Manufacturers will take over 30 years..

With the 37 ive dozens already, and tbh Ive got most I need except the 37/6 and accurate 37/9’s… so its coming down to 1-1 replacements, which will depend on how important each one is to my heart for upgrading.. that said ive a big heart, especially around refurb 37’s in the late 1980’s, especially Scottish 37/4’s and their NW migration,  Buxton / TI 37/5’s* and Cornish Clay 37’s.

If I were to guess “Batch 4” or Run 2 Batch 1….

Well AS are making mk2’s in NSE and RR.. so it would be odd to miss a trick of making 1990’s 37/4’s like 37408 in L/L, 37415-9 in Mainline, 37430 Cwmbran in Mainline and any of the “Rft” 3T specials (37421 rfp, 37423 rfm, 37425 rfc etc) or likes of 37414,418,421 in RRNW or even 37427 in Scotrail RR)…. That would certainly see off my remaining Lima 37’s..

Similary doing the China clays it would be odd to miss the chance of 3767x in Railfreight, Rfd, Transrail etc.. though i’d be amazed if a certain Cornish retailer was to miss presenting a challenge here, but AS have done the CDAs.

after that its pot luck.

* 37/5 (which inc”37/6’s” that are really 37/5 but with headcodes and a gap in number ranges between the two, used to separate Freight from Passenger refurbs)… the true “37/6” was EPS years later, which we are about to recieve.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

I'm being much more selective in my buying , mainly because I've been at saturation point for several years now ........still hasn't stopped me buying !  I've got my Deltic which is superb but I wish now I'd gone for sound version , even though I'm just DC .  However won't make the same mistake twice . Announce a large logo Scottish 37/4 and I'll be right in there . 37111 would be nice but it was a bit of a one off (maybe 37112 too?)Id much rather have a mainstream  large logo Scottish 37/4. Glad to hear batches 2/3/4  in the planning 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, thetrains said:

I do feel for Accura with so many folks wanting a particular model.

I think the thing is that so much stuff has been done before. Most people won't be replacing what they have but adding to it.

Every loco AS has done or announced has been done in the past (quite prolifically in the case of the 37) and so I think a lot of us have certain wants rather than a willingness to buy whatever number comes out of the tombola machine.

If somebody did an 88, I don't think a monkeys will be given about the numbers chosen to be done because there aren't any at the moment (other than 10 with its unique livery).

• Agree 2

40 minutes ago, Legend said:

I'm being much more selective in my buying , mainly because I've been at saturation point for several years now ........still hasn't stopped me buying !  I've got my Deltic which is superb but I wish now I'd gone for sound version , even though I'm just DC .  However won't make the same mistake twice . Announce a large logo Scottish 37/4 and I'll be right in there . 37111 would be nice but it was a bit of a one off (maybe 37112 too?)Id much rather have a mainstream  large logo Scottish 37/4. Glad to hear batches 2/3/4  in the planning 

37027 also