Class 37, by Accurascale

15 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Do those locos have stay alives? 

Yes - taken from Accurascale's notes online.

Every model includes PowerPack / Backup Power Capacitor Bank for up to ten seconds of power free running, flicker free lighting and continuous sound

Edited by geoffers

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

No, but one another one i forgot about is the accurascale deltic and thats fine. Fairly sure that has one :)

Yes indeed the Deltic does …. Which makes it a better comparison 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have reduced CV63 down to 160 from 190 which has helped with the sound cutting out during start up- as suggested earlier in this thread. However I think the issue may be to do with the capacitor bank. The sound only cuts out if you try and start it immediately you apply power to the track. Leave it for a couple of mins , selected on your controller, and there doesn’t seem to be a problem. Are the capacitors having to charge up?

• Agree 3

19 minutes ago, Roger Sunderland said:

Are the capacitors having to charge up?

Fran has mentioned in previous posts that the capacitors need time to charge. I was wondering if having more stay alive fitted locos on the layout might increase the time it takes for them all to be charged and ready to go

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, AndrewB7585 said:

Fran has mentioned in previous posts that the capacitors need time to charge. I was wondering if having more stay alive fitted locos on the layout might increase the time it takes for them all to be charged and ready to go

In the last few months I have found that the stay alives present on my layout trip my Z21 out. I have to do several goes of on/trip out to get everything charged up. I do have 4 37s, 1 92 with stay alives, and then 18 mk5s and 2 Hornby Azumas with lights/caps in them. I think it was the addition of the first 2 37s that started this happening.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

In the last few months I have found that the stay alives present on my layout trip my Z21 out. I have to do several goes of on/trip out to get everything charged up. I do have 4 37s, 1 92 with stay alives, and then 18 mk5s and 2 Hornby Azumas with lights/caps in them. I think it was the addition of the first 2 37s that started this happening.

You will need the track grounded to the lightning rod to discharge and keep safe if your planning more loco,s,it might well be time to use the welder to power the system,is this why Aegis is coming from DCC concepts one wonders.......

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

You will need the track grounded to the lightning rod to discharge and keep safe if your planning more loco,s,it might well be time to use the welder to power the system,is this why Aegis is coming from DCC concepts one wonders.......

And it’s why ECoS now chucks out 7 amps…

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Roger Sunderland said:

I have reduced CV63 down to 160 from 190 which has helped with the sound cutting out during start up- as suggested earlier in this thread. However I think the issue may be to do with the capacitor bank. The sound only cuts out if you try and start it immediately you apply power to the track. Leave it for a couple of mins , selected on your controller, and there doesn’t seem to be a problem. Are the capacitors having to charge up?

It would be interesting to know how the ACC capacitors are wired up and controlled. For ESU decoders, the stay alives are preferably 3 wire type connections; +ve, GND and control. That is why when connecting to ESU decoders, I use either the Zen 3 wire capacitors interfaced with their control board, or ESU's own integrated capacitor and control module.

For other makes, Zimo and D & H for example, the control circuitry is included in the decoder chip, so 2 wire direct attachment of the +ve and GND is possible.

I guess as ACCs PCB design is part ESU then there must be some stay alive control circuitry built into that?  I also expect that ACCs ESU decoders already have the stay alives enabled. This has to be done via CV changes when installing to ESU decoders separately.

ESUstayaliveenable.png.fe38e4bbbdea9b15baa03f7fc4f3c66f.png

So another idea. Perhaps the SPP time out is set to max'm? It may not be desirable to have the loco running on for too long, hence the CV113 timer.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 18/11/2023 at 05:07, Lowlander said:

Hi 

Some of my Accurascale class 37's also have the tendency to start up and cut out. I found that gently lifting the loco off one side of the track and draining the powerpack until the lights go out and then placing the loco fully back on the track seems to cure the problem. I might add all my locos have had the volume aready reduced from 192 to 180 as soon as they come out the box. Hth

Ps I use a Lenz 100 system which is 15v. 

mine does,  97301 cuts out after little while or while its on half speed,   but my ROG 37 that cuts out after about 2 or so seconds  on start up, 

i leave it about minute or two  to charge the capacitor but it still does it,    i use Hornby elite    

I did a bit of reprogramming of the Jamie Goodman sound in 37 609 yesterday afternoon. I also took out the sugar cube speaker, updated the firmware and adjusted the bass/treble balance (a nice new feature, that!). I have mainly reallocated (remapped) various functions for the lighting and brake (now on F2) to bring it into line with the other Accurascale 37s.

While I had the LokProgrammer connected, I also updated the firmware on 37 423, with the Accurathrash sound file, and tweaked the bass/treble balance on that as well.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, SRman said:

adjusted the bass/treble balance (a nice new feature, that!).

Great new feature.  I've had hours of fun playing with some of my other projects.

What values did you end up with for CV196 & 197 on your Class 37s?

Steve

• Like 1

On 18/11/2023 at 07:40, Bucoops said:

Don't forget to allow time for the stay alive capacitors to charge before trying to start the loco. 

Worse case I will sit on the track for a few mins, or run up and down a couple of times before fire up. All my 37s CV 63 set at 192 with power unit volume on max too.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, 55020 said:

Great new feature.  I've had hours of fun playing with some of my other projects.

What values did you end up with for CV196 & 197 on your Class 37s?

Steve

At present, the Power Cab is reading them all as 16, although I did play around on the LokProgrammer changing them - I may not have written the values permanently onto the decoders, so I'll fire it up again later to make the changes more permanent.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, The Meerkat said:

mine does,  97301 cuts out after little while or while its on half speed,   but my ROG 37 that cuts out after about 2 or so seconds  on start up, 

i leave it about minute or two  to charge the capacitor but it still does it,    i use Hornby elite    

On 17/11/2023 at 19:43, 55020 said:

Why did you not try the advice and lower the volume levels slightly, instead of rushing back to your keyboard and making a series of negative 

On 17/11/2023 at 19:47, ATME said:

Because it should work out of the box. Or at least a slip of paper in the box suggesting the cv adjustment for a fault identified in April to save me a load of Googling.

Exactly,you should not have to alter CV settings to get them to run satisfactory.  They are supposed to be RTR!!!!

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, longsight said:

Exactly,you should not have to alter CV settings to get them to run satisfactory.  They are supposed to be RTR!!!!

For many (I would assume the vast bulk) it does. I now have 5 accurascale sound fitted locos and all5 5 have worked out the box (allowing time to charge). Using either a Lenz Set 100 or 101.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

My /4s needed the volume reducing to avoid cutting out, however the /6s didn't. I do wonder if they updated the program though as I aren't sure the /6s are as loud as the /4s when they were at full volume.

I had to reduce the volume on my 37607, I admit I’d forgotten about what was said here, and emailed Accurascale directly following their advice dropped the volume and she hasn’t cut out since. I doubt the assembly process was much farther behind the other models to allow changes to be made. Though I’m guessing that’s something they might do for the next batch if possible. 

Edited by farren
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, farren said:

I had to reduce the volume on my 37607, I admit I’d forgotten about what was said here, and emailed Accurascale directly following their advice dropped the volume and she hasn’t cut out since. So I doubt they’ve updated any models. Though I’m guessing that’s something they might do for the next batch if possible. 

I maybe did it when I got the models without thinking about it 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1