KR Models announce the Fell in OO and N.

AY Mod

Apologies that the last photos were quite dark, we had a dark cloud and rain at the time. Have taken a couple more to try and show the changes to the roof and mid body window, on the side that is incorrect for the changes made after production.

20221023_111009.jpg

20221023_111053.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I'm not over impressed with having two differently detailed sides, especially after all the info that was shared and offered.....

I live near the old Midland line through the Peak District, so the Fell seemed an appropriate loco to own.......

I don't have a layout currently (its still under construction) so can't test it just yet, so in a quandary as to keep or not...

Joe

• Like 1

So a friends Fell came across the workbench. 

I thought I'd compare with my half built JE example. I notice a few dimensional differences between the two, not insignificant (in addition to the missing auxiliary exhaust) . If you compare to a photo - then the JE example is spot on 

1. nose grilles/doors are two short

2. door window too deep (or teardrop too shallow?)

3. bottom line of rivets too high

4. model is sided 

5. door too short

6. bodyside grille (lower all reference bottom rivet line) are all to shallow in height - compare to photo - KR = rectangles v real life = square 

6. bogie frames lack detail (recommend comet 6'6"upgrade) 

in BR green the lining is off (to counteract the compromised door / grille ?) compared with the image at Derby :

https://www.anistr.com/-/galleries/railway-images-galleries/photos-of-british-railways-1948-1968/photos-of-br-diesel-locomotives/br-experimental-diesel-locos/-/medias/498f1824-d381-4436-b3e6-56d1b0b6b317-diesel-loco-brush-d0280-loughborough

Overall length and depth OK 

J

IMG_1621.jpg

Edited by Down_Under
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Joe MCMLXI said:

I'm not over impressed with having two differently detailed sides, especially after all the info that was shared and offered.....

I live near the old Midland line through the Peak District, so the Fell seemed an appropriate loco to own.......

I don't have a layout currently (its still under construction) so can't test it just yet, so in a quandary as to keep or not...

Joe

Maybe it boils down to having a presentable side for the period you are modelling?  Assuming of course that on the layout you will only ever see one side if it?  The later years/green period side isn't too bad and is streets ahead of the complete mishmash of the other side.  

• Agree 1

On 12/10/2022 at 20:09, chev32 said:

I have just taken delivery of my  Fell .Green livery with a sound decoder .It's a great looking model but ... I tried it on my DC layout and it did not move . Do I need to program the chip for DC operation ? 

IMG20221012151824.jpg

Well it appears to have been an issue with my DC  feed back controller wasn't putting out enough juice . I hooked up an old triang P5 and it immediately fired into life, the motors purring away as it motored around the track . I did have to re tension the pick up wheel wipers as a couple were not making contact

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Yes, mine went back for a refund, it looked like the bogie was twisted in production!

9 hours ago, chev32 said:

Well it appears to have been an issue with my DC  feed back controller wasn't putting out enough juice . I hooked up an old triang P5 and it immediately fired into life, the motors purring away as it motored around the track . I did have to re tension the pick up wheel wipers as a couple were not making contact

There do seem to be quite a lot of production quality problems with these models - were they assembled down to a price I wonder?

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

There do seem to be quite a lot of production quality problems with these models - were they assembled down to a price I wonder?

All models are "assembled down to a price" - the price agreed between the manufacturer and the client.

CJI.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, cctransuk said:

All models are "assembled down to a price" - the price agreed between the manufacturer and the client.

CJI.

Agreed - it's just that some clients pay more for higher standards of production consistency and some don't (or they don't clearly specify the standards they require).  Maybe I should have said 'they get what they. specified and paid for'?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Agreed - it's just that some clients pay more for higher standards of production consistency and some don't (or they don't clearly specify the standards they require).  Maybe I should have said 'they get what they. specified and paid for'?

Are you saying that the factories have more than one standard of production - along the lines of : -

1) Pretty much perfect

2) Acceptable

3) Slap-dash

4) Cr@p ?

CJI.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Are you saying that the factories have more than one standard of production - along the lines of : -

1) Pretty much perfect

2) Acceptable

3) Slap-dash

4) Cr@p ?

CJI.

Aha you have visited the same factories as I have then?

• Round of applause 1

On 22/10/2022 at 12:28, chris p bacon said:

I don't agree that there is a positive. You have at least one funder of the model who paid his money up front in good faith that when produced he would receive a model.  KR have stated in the past that they don't like going down the retailer route, and yet RoS had a supply of models and a funder doesn't.

That to me says that more have been returned as faulty than was envisaged and KR have run out. I can't see that there is another explanation as they knew how many that had to be produced and supplied. KR did say themselves that they wouldn't commit to production until they had enough confirmed orders so the number required with a percentage on top for faulty models was known at the start.

The poster is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

If he still wants a model, would KR still hold one from a further batch at the same price that he's paid for one from the first batch.

What if he waits for a further batch to be commissioned but KR decide not to.

KR miraculously find a model to fulfil is order, but it's actually a returned item. 

He accepts a refund of £150(?) which after 18 months is actually only worth £140 due to inflation.

Personally I would ask for a refund of the full amount paid as well as a 20% fee for part funding the production of the model. KR haven't used their own money to produce the model so should re-imburse those that have that they have let down.

On 22/10/2022 at 13:24, Michael Hodgson said:

On the face of it this chap has been and is still being treated very shabbily given that there is apparently an easy solution to what is presumably a mistake on the part of the manufacturer.  I realise however that we've only heard one side of the story, and there could conceivably by some mitigating issue. Mistakes do happen, and I would like to give them the benefit of any doubt by assuming this is a cock-up; but if they don't pull their finger out to remedy the situation, on the basis of what I've heard so far it strikes me as extremely sharp practice. I hope I'm wrong.

Where a customer has ordered and paid for one, and they've run out having supplied some to retailers who are not yet fully sold out, it seems to me that there is a moral obligation on the manufacturer to buy one back from that retailer to send to their customer and thus honour their original contract.   The price of such repurchase should be purely a matter between the manufacturer and retailer, the manufacturer absorbing any loss that might be incurred in putting matters right.

Thanks for the support, I hope I'll get one from this batch and not have to wait for the second run. I had picked the DCC Sound Fitted in late green, (so no middle cranks, correct!). I used the spread out payment option which ticked along nicely and concluded about a year ago, probably the original estimate pre COVID.

I can't help but feel that my response to them stating that I still want the model and the fact their, "sold out" means that for no reason other than their incompetence, I'll probably not see mine fora year or so. I'm very unsatisfied with this. I should see if I could buy one for myself at a vastly inflated price and just send them the bill!

Neil.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
On 20/10/2022 at 17:26, Tony_S said:

just had a reply. Apparently the label was generated before they realised they didn’t have one. One will be despatched to me from the UK now by “Michael “. 

Update from last week,

Still not here. 
What is mildly irritating is that if KR had told me they hadn’t got one when they they produced the label for Canada Post the version I wanted was still available at Rails of Sheffield. It certainly isn’t now. 
Still no notification of despatch from Micheal who has been tasked with sending it from the UK. My original payment and order was one from the initial payment by instalment plan. I really would like a definite answer about delivery. I have just sent an email asking for a specific despatch date rather than a vague “shortly “.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Tony_S said:

. I have just sent an email asking for a specific despatch date

I have received a reply and my Fell is ready for carrier collection and I should have it this weekend. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, NoDominion said:

I have a question…

how does one go about removing the central con rods on the Fell?

With difficulty! I tried to undo the conrod crankpins bolts and gave up as they were too tight. I think you will need a 2mm nut spinner to have a decent chance of undoing it (but don't quote me on the size) 

On 21/10/2022 at 22:10, zoomer1979 said:

Well friends, despite ordering in good faith in February 2020 and filling in the form as presented and selecting the later version (different to my Dad's), I was told today that due to the selection not being picked up, my order was not processed. After Keith gave me a tracking number that was my Dad's model, he confirmed there are no models left and I was offered a refund or to wait for the next batch.

I do want the model still, but who knows when it will come.

Neil.

Having watched sams trains review , a lucky escape i'd say 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Mine never arrived due to confusion over what colour I ordered, when I politely complained KR cancelled my order, sent me a rude email and gave me a refund to a card I no longer have, so I’ve no model or refund, nice models but poor customer service 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

1 hour ago, Jitmen said:

Mine never arrived due to confusion over what colour I ordered, when I politely complained KR cancelled my order, sent me a rude email and gave me a refund to a card I no longer have, so I’ve no model or refund, nice models but poor customer service 

That is pathetic. I'm inclined to tell them where to go too, but I want to get the model and improve it (with fellow members help) to show what should of been done.

Neil.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, zoomer1979 said:

That is pathetic. I'm inclined to tell them where to go too, but I want to get the model and improve it (with fellow members help) to show what should of been done.

Neil.

Mine went back, but it was faulty from the start, although looking at the detail moulded onto the under frame it reminded me of a train set Loco from the 60’s…..very poor looking detail.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

After all the discussion on here about 10100, some photos of the Judith Edge version, this is the test etch model produced after about 18 months worth of detailed research.

IMG_1435.JPG.893d1fcc6dc3396c92f4229a0b1c939c.JPG

This side is, apart from the disappearing BR crest, more or less correct for the loco as first ran in service. The cranks look a little out of line but this is because the model is fully compensated and sitting on rather less than level track.

IMG_1436.JPG.eb2f3e5fbdc5cbefa6830647139e26bd.JPG

This is the other side, I wasn't sure about the window so left it there, the kit includes a grille panel to cover it - as I now suspect it was before entering service. The kit now includes overlays for the inner wheels to represent the quill drive to these axles.

IMG_1438.JPG.73cd893f30545f57f7cb63fff454e64f.JPG

The outside frames are in the correct position with full depth axleboxes, the biggest error I made (and one which KR didn't!) is that the inner cranks should have been bigger than the outer ones. This has now been corrected with a supplementary etch, my excuse for the error (apart from blindly not noticing in the side on photos!) is that the crank drawing is missing from the set of Derby drawings at the NRM. All the modifications are covered in the kit, including a separate coupling rod etch for the version without the centre portion and High Level can supply a specially designed gearbox to couple the two inner axles.

Now THAT is what I was hoping to see from KRM; (and it could have been, by all accounts).

No way round it - I will have to bite the bullet and get the kit out!

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5