KR Models announce the Fell in OO and N.

AY Mod

21 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I suggest you send an email using the form on their webpage. I enquired where mine was and they needed to confirm which version I wanted, This was now out of stock in the UK and has been dispatched from Canada. Well when I say despatched Canada Post tracking state the sender had printed a label. KR did respond very quickly and reassured me about what would happen if Royal Mail tried to charge me VAT on the import. The label was printed last Wednesday but no further progress since then according to tracking. I have waited a few years for this model so I shall continue to be patient. 
Tony

Canada Post can be strange when it comes to tracking, even through you have a tracking number it doesn't actually track.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, jsp3970 said:

Canada Post can be strange when it comes to tracking, even through you have a tracking number it doesn't actually track.

Thank you. That is actually reassuring! It did look as if nothing had happened for a week! Perhaps something will happen when it enters the Royal Mail network. 

• RMweb Gold

I got email notifications from Canada post, when the label was generated, when recieved at their location.

My next update was around 10 days later at delivery.

(There was no updates to the trace until after delivery).

That delivery trace subsequently showed 3 further hops.. leaving canada, scan at my local delivery office, and home delivery.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I got email notifications from Canada post, when the label was generated, when recieved at their location.

My next update was around 10 days later at delivery.

(There was no updates to the trace until after delivery).

That delivery trace subsequently showed 3 further hops.. leaving canada, scan at my local delivery office, and home delivery.

I have only got the label generation notice so far.

• RMweb Gold
On 17/10/2022 at 17:03, adb968008 said:

I’d ask if theyve posted it yet then.

My label was generated only 4-6 hours before they recieved it for shipping.

Thanks. Good idea. I have just sent an email. 

just a small up date on the put it right kit im sending one of my fell locos off to the chap who is kindly doing the kit today then he can mesure up all the bits needed to put it right ill keep you posted on developments as it goes 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, corsair said:

just a small up date on the put it right kit im sending one of my fell locos off to the chap who is kindly doing the kit today then he can mesure up all the bits needed to put it right ill keep you posted on developments as it goes 

If you are sure that the bits you want to  "copy" to put in place are correct .. no problem.  But if they are wrong it becomes an even worse rendition of the Fell. Try the NRM for works drawings.

Baz

• Agree 4

9 hours ago, corsair said:

Thank you for doing this. Having mulled over how to do the changes, I thought I'd use plasticard for the new roof apertures. I also experimented with using a new scriber, to create grille like features in plasticard.

So far I've moulded and fitted a plasticard curved piece for the incorrectly positioned filler aperture. I also made a reasonable grille for the mid body, so went ahead and opened up the mid body glazed aperture to take the grille.

Having got that far, decided I'd gone too far to turn back, so cut holes in the roof for the correct filler and exhaust aperture, then fashioned the three sides and base for each. Finally constructed an exhaust and silencer from Evergreen plastic rod. Currently they have received one coat of Precision paints BR green, now waiting, 2-3 days for the second coat. Will try and post a photo when painting is complete. I have left the nose grilles, as an etched brass part will be better replacement, to match the existing grilles, than scribed plasticard, so hoping your project is successful.

Sorry, I haven't got photos or sizes as the work progressed as it was done on the hoof.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

11 hours ago, corsair said:

One thing to mention to your etcher, is to allow for the thickness of the plastic in the model moulding. This will affect the two boxes for the new filler and exhaust apertures, if it's intended to secure the new part to the underside of the roof, after cutting out . The roof thickness is the issue, as after cutting the holes for the new parts, the roof thickness will form part of the depth, if using 3d printed plastic. If  brass is used and is intended to be flush with the top of the roof, this won't be a problem. The roof moulding is surprisingly thick and differs in thickness. The part of the roof where the new filler aperture is located, is about 1.5mm at the highest point on the roof and the exhaust aperture 1mm. 

Edited by rembrow
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, rembrow said:

One thing to mention to your etcher, is to allow for the thickness of the plastic in the model moulding. This will affect the two boxes for the new filler and exhaust apertures, if it's intended to secure the new part to the underside of the roof, after cutting out . The roof thickness is the issue, as after cutting the holes for the new parts, the roof thickness will form part of the depth, if using 3d printed plastic. If  brass is used and is intended to be flush with the top of the roof, this won't be a problem. The roof moulding is surprisingly thick and differs in thickness. The part of the roof where the new filler aperture is located, is about 1.5mm at the highest point on the roof and the exhaust aperture 1mm. 

Hello these parts will be 3d printed so they should just slide in once the hole has been cut ill let him know thank you hes pretty good with 3d printing hes just done some terrier tank loco spark arresters they are awsome 

On 16/10/2022 at 23:30, Tony_S said:

I suggest you send an email using the form on their webpage. I enquired where mine was and they needed to confirm which version I wanted, This was now out of stock in the UK and has been dispatched from Canada. Well when I say despatched Canada Post tracking state the sender had printed a label. KR did respond very quickly and reassured me about what would happen if Royal Mail tried to charge me VAT on the import. The label was printed last Wednesday but no further progress since then according to tracking. I have waited a few years for this model so I shall continue to be patient. 
Tony

I emailed Keith last week and had a reply this week asking which version I had ordered. I replied immediately but have heard nothing further. Doesn’t inspire confidence.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Lee-H said:

I emailed Keith last week and had a reply this week asking which version I had ordered. I replied immediately but have heard nothing further. Doesn’t inspire confidence.

Mine was the same. Which version had I ordered? I responded and one was processed. I asked why it was coming from Canada  and was told none were in stock in the UK. I asked about any VAT demands and was reassured about what would happen. I received a notification from Canada Post that a label had been generated. No notification of receipt of package (unlike other purchasers on this thread) so I sent an email to Keith Revell a couple of days ago. 
I have just had a reply. Apparently the label was generated before they realised they didn’t have one. One will be despatched to me from the UK now by “Michael “. 
I really am looking forward to its arrival!

Tony

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Well friends, despite ordering in good faith in February 2020 and filling in the form as presented and selecting the later version (different to my Dad's), I was told today that due to the selection not being picked up, my order was not processed. After Keith gave me a tracking number that was my Dad's model, he confirmed there are no models left and I was offered a refund or to wait for the next batch.

I do want the model still, but who knows when it will come.

Neil.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

This is something model manufacturers really do need to get a grip on. I have been highly critical of Hornby for not fulfilling pre-ordered and issues with their approach to e-commerce, if we are to criticize one company then others should be held to the same standard. Especially when a deposit has been paid or full payment in advance then you should reasonably expect to receive what you have ordered. This is regardless of the merits of the model.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Round of applause 1

12 hours ago, zoomer1979 said:

Well friends, despite ordering in good faith in February 2020 and filling in the form as presented and selecting the later version (different to my Dad's), I was told today that due to the selection not being picked up, my order was not processed. After Keith gave me a tracking number that was my Dad's model, he confirmed there are no models left and I was offered a refund or to wait for the next batch.

I do want the model still, but who knows when it will come.

Neil.

Well I suppose the positive out of it is KR Models have sold out their first three models and committed to reruns of all three.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, mvwilson said:

Well I suppose the positive out of it is KR Models have sold out their first three models and committed to reruns of all three.

I don't agree that there is a positive. You have at least one funder of the model who paid his money up front in good faith that when produced he would receive a model.  KR have stated in the past that they don't like going down the retailer route, and yet RoS had a supply of models and a funder doesn't.

That to me says that more have been returned as faulty than was envisaged and KR have run out. I can't see that there is another explanation as they knew how many that had to be produced and supplied. KR did say themselves that they wouldn't commit to production until they had enough confirmed orders so the number required with a percentage on top for faulty models was known at the start.

The poster is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

If he still wants a model, would KR still hold one from a further batch at the same price that he's paid for one from the first batch.

What if he waits for a further batch to be commissioned but KR decide not to.

KR miraculously find a model to fulfil is order, but it's actually a returned item. 

He accepts a refund of £150(?) which after 18 months is actually only worth £140 due to inflation.

Personally I would ask for a refund of the full amount paid as well as a 20% fee for part funding the production of the model. KR haven't used their own money to produce the model so should re-imburse those that have that they have let down.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

I don't agree that there is a positive. You have at least one funder of the model who paid his money up front in good faith that when produced he would receive a model.  KR have stated in the past that they don't like going down the retailer route, and yet RoS had a supply of models and a funder doesn't.

That to me says that more have been returned as faulty than was envisaged and KR have run out. I can't see that there is another explanation as they knew how many that had to be produced and supplied. KR did say themselves that they wouldn't commit to production until they had enough confirmed orders so the number required with a percentage on top for faulty models was known at the start.

The poster is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

If he still wants a model, would KR still hold one from a further batch at the same price that he's paid for one from the first batch.

What if he waits for a further batch to be commissioned but KR decide not to.

KR miraculously find a model to fulfil is order, but it's actually a returned item. 

He accepts a refund of £150(?) which after 18 months is actually only worth £140 due to inflation.

Personally I would ask for a refund of the full amount paid as well as a 20% fee for part funding the production of the model. KR haven't used their own money to produce the model so should re-imburse those that have that they have let down.

On the face of it this chap has been and is still being treated very shabbily given that there is apparently an easy solution to what is presumably a mistake on the part of the manufacturer.  I realise however that we've only heard one side of the story, and there could conceivably by some mitigating issue. Mistakes do happen, and I would like to give them the benefit of any doubt by assuming this is a cock-up; but if they don't pull their finger out to remedy the situation, on the basis of what I've heard so far it strikes me as extremely sharp practice. I hope I'm wrong.

Where a customer has ordered and paid for one, and they've run out having supplied some to retailers who are not yet fully sold out, it seems to me that there is a moral obligation on the manufacturer to buy one back from that retailer to send to their customer and thus honour their original contract.   The price of such repurchase should be purely a matter between the manufacturer and retailer, the manufacturer absorbing any loss that might be incurred in putting matters right.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

I'll also contribute to the lack of response from KR Models. I asked if they could change the delivery address as I would be out of the country when the model was due to be delivered. 

After receiving the tracking information from Canada Post and Royal Mail, I then saw the model had been delivered to an address in Chelmsford. I contacted KR Models immediately, and have repeatedly done for the past 3 weeks, either by email or Facebook messenger, and have not received a response to any of my queries.

I want to point out that the alternative address I gave them was no where near Chelmsford, and kind of at a loss as to what to do. I really wanted the model, despite the detail issues, as it was a one-off, but it would seem I'll have to speak to either Keith or Michael in person at Warley...

• Friendly/supportive 3

48 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

I'll also contribute to the lack of response from KR Models. I asked if they could change the delivery address as I would be out of the country when the model was due to be delivered. 

After receiving the tracking information from Canada Post and Royal Mail, I then saw the model had been delivered to an address in Chelmsford. I contacted KR Models immediately, and have repeatedly done for the past 3 weeks, either by email or Facebook messenger, and have not received a response to any of my queries.

I want to point out that the alternative address I gave them was no where near Chelmsford, and kind of at a loss as to what to do. I really wanted the model, despite the detail issues, as it was a one-off, but it would seem I'll have to speak to either Keith or Michael in person at Warley...

My response from KR - my not having received the Fell yet - was that they are working very hard to get the Fells out and that Royal Mail will deliver.  This was just over a week ago. Perhaps a visit to Warley is in order .

Edited by AY Mod
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I've had another email from Keith (dated 20th) hoping to get my replacement Fell dispatched "tomorrow"- presumably 21st.  No email (yet) from a courier...

The comment was " We are processing the returns as fast as we can.  We are only 2 people who are dealing with this. " 

I'm now wondering just how many returns there have been.

Les

• Like 1

I am progressing with the alterations to my fell, most of the roof details are done, with just the resin castings to do, and the reshaping of the nose tops. The body side window panel will probably have be removed and a thickened resin casting let in, the first sealant molds are shown. 
26CE795D-88A9-4638-907E-8F8B80251E67.jpeg.85424aef4cb29ddf8893d10c00114d46.jpeg

• Like 7

I've completed the roof changes and mid body grille change from the incorrect window fitted to the BR green version and have patch painted. I had to darken the Precision paints BR loco green a little, to avoid the paint in sections looking lighter. At present I haven't added the nose end grilles that I've made and painted. The scribing method makes the grille seperation too wide I think, anyway have added a photo of them laid on one end. Anyway some photos to show progress, I'll probably wait to see if Corsairs friend can make better printed nose end grilles.

20221023_092347.jpg

20221023_092005.jpg

20221023_092118.jpg

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1