KR Models announce the Fell in OO and N.

AY Mod

Hi

I too have had trouble with the directional lights being opposite to the direction of travel. I solved this by switching the blue and red wires in both 4 pin plugs on the PCB, so that the top white light and the 2 lower red lights operate in direction of travel. I also changed F3 to latching and can now operate the lower white lights independently with F3 and F4.

I have installed a LAISDCC 21 pin decoder with 6 functions and use a Sig-naTrak controller.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/12/2022 at 20:40, zoomer1979 said:

Hi Colin, I too am frustrated with the pickup situation. Can I as what Thompson bogies you got for the pickups that were a good size match? Thanks in advance.

Neil.

Sorry it took so long I don't log into this site often. I think it was the L1 rear bogie, part number X6226,  I checked on Peters Spares and that looks to be the one. I think it is the only one that comes with pickups. Unfortunately I generally get my spares from Lendons as they are substantially cheaper and a nicer person to deal with, so I can't see my purchase history.

• Thanks 1

On 03/12/2022 at 20:40, zoomer1979 said:

Hi Colin, I too am frustrated with the pickup situation. Can I as what Thompson bogies you got for the pickups that were a good size match? Thanks in advance.

Neil.

Sorry about the delay I don't log into this site very often. I think it was the Thompson L1 rear bogie X6226. I got mine from Lendons. It was the only one I could find that came with pickups.

23 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Latest newsletter says a 2nd batch of the Fell is in production so obviously the issues haven’t stopped it selling out. 

If the target market are so easy to please then why change the formula.  Does not bode well for future projects.

• RMweb Gold
On 19/12/2022 at 22:05, Hilux5972 said:

Latest newsletter says a 2nd batch of the Fell is in production so obviously the issues haven’t stopped it selling out. 

Perhaps because not all customers who bought one in the first run, actually recieved them ?

its like saying a flight is over sold, because they swapped the larger aircraft for a smaller one.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

If the target market are so easy to please then why change the formula.  Does not bode well for future projects.

It's bit like flogging fridges to eskimos by the sound of things.  If you find a market area which lacks the level of discernment, and understanding/knowledge of the subject, which exists in many other market areas then it might well pay to exploit it.   Of course on the other hand the 'second batch' might possibly be part of an original agreement with the factory for a total size of production run or as already noted to meet orders which haven't been met from the first run.  

Simple fact is we don't know whether or not there is a market or indeed just how many models there might be in a 'second batch' (or, for that matter, how many models there were in the first batch - unless we take notice of information originating, so I understand, from another customer of the factory involved).

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

After Warley ive mixed opinions.

The 4DD feels cheap, however they have listened and done something to the roof. But to my handling it feels like a railroad coach with a motor, but priced at £400, I think i’m maybe getting a better engineered Hornby VEP for the same money. That said the VEP was fully decorated, the 4DD was just a shell on a chassis… my opinions still out for now.

DHP1 looks fine.i mean yes, it just looks fine.

I think Bellerophron has had a few corners cut but its a chunky, well proportioned beast.

Leader i’m waiting for the experts, but some aspects (body sides looked wrong, and theres a big hole in its side), but I quietly think they are going to get this right. Its certainly weighty enough and under the hood looks very good, theres a ton of work in it.

Maybe Fell was that “everyone gets it right the first time but falls over the second time”.

I do think the 40 is a bit ambitious though. Niche prototypes have that “I must have one so i will forgive the odd error” thing about them… Mainstream classes that have been made before do not come with forgiveness, attract emotions that bring out knives that are not only sharp but barbed and dipped in caustic substance too, especially when priced at top of market prices. Its also one with cheaper alternatives available.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Re-runs are notoriously difficult to get right commercially. It's OK pointing to sold out first runs and in some cases very high aftermarket prices as 'proof' the market is begging for another run but it only needs a small imbalance in supply/demand for a run to sell out and inflate prices, whereas for a manufacturer to do well out of a second run needs several hundred customers wanting one.

• Agree 2

The grossly inflated prices we ften see on ebay are down to either seller greed (where they fail to sell)

or auction fever where two or more people go inti a bidding frenzy determined to beat the other bloke.  And once somebody has paid silly money for something, others take that as the indication of its current value, so the prices rise are self-perpetuating.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Re-runs are notoriously difficult to get right commercially. It's OK pointing to sold out first runs and in some cases very high aftermarket prices as 'proof' the market is begging for another run but it only needs a small imbalance in supply/demand for a run to sell out and inflate prices, whereas for a manufacturer to do well out of a second run needs several hundred customers wanting one.

However if you are producing models to order for customers who pay upfront it is a a bit simpler because you know the size of your initial market with a pretty high degree of certainty.  And experience will inform you to some extent of the likely drop out rate between orders placed and orders actually becoming sales.  That can be applied just as readily to further batches should it be a concern's way of doing things.

Running a second batch purely on spec, especially soonafter the initial production, is a very dodgy game and one which - for example - where Hornby have noticeably gone wrong over the years.  Big firms can stand the cost (for a period of time) but a small concern with limited capital is very likely to put itself into a financial trap if it produces purely on spec against no firm orders.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

The KR business model seems to be a form of 'cost+', whereby the consumer carries risk (paying up front on trust that the end product will be of an acceptable standard and providing the finance needed for product development) and with seemingly little risk for KR. The problem with that is it leaves KR with limited incentives to really make the effort to get it right. In engineering the only times such arrangements are normally used is if the supplier has the other side over a barrel, and in some ways that is kind of similar with KR if people are desperate for a Fell, Leader etc. For all I have a lot to criticise about KR I think they've knocked it out of the park with some of their selections of what to model, and I'll admit I've been tempted a few times, especially by the Fell and the Leader. However, ultimately nobody truly needs any model train no matter how much we might want it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

At the end of the day, I wasn't expecting to have to do so much modelling to get an accurate and runnable model, considering the price we all paid in advance. On the other hand, I probably would never have got round to making a kit version of the Fell and most definitely wouldn't of had two versions between me and my Dad's. His came back from repair last week after a month and a half and its cranks were bent. Also once the sound was on, the speaker was buzzing like it was loose. We are done with KR.

Neil.

• Friendly/supportive 9

I have put together a video detailing three of the most common issues found with models, and how to fix them.

These issues are: 

Poorly adjusted pickups

Loose brake rigging

Axles out of gauge/prone to working loose on axles

Also, not in the video, but side rods jamming can most often be fixed by checking that they aren’t hitting the cranks and gently bending them out if they do. 

Buzzing speakers could be something as simple as the magnet has attracted a screw or other small metal object and ‘stuck’ it to the face of the speaker - this will cause poor sound reproduction and will be fixed by removal of the offending item. 

Edited by Jenny Emily
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 22/12/2022 at 10:26, jjb1970 said:

The KR business model seems to be a form of 'cost+', whereby the consumer carries risk (paying up front on trust that the end product will be of an acceptable standard and providing the finance needed for product development) and with seemingly little risk for KR. The problem with that is it leaves KR with limited incentives to really make the effort to get it right. In engineering the only times such arrangements are normally used is if the supplier has the other side over a barrel, and in some ways that is kind of similar with KR if people are desperate for a Fell, Leader etc.

Its not only KR models who have this business model.

Edited by Ouroborus

Jenny,

no personal disrespect intended,  however,  if the fixes are so simple then how did so many items pass quality control in the first place?  The Fell was initially listed at a "low" pricepoint when compared to other similar sized models,  however,  in attracting "crowd funding" customers it seems that quality (and accuracy) in the end product was overlooked.  

8 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

Jenny,

no personal disrespect intended,  however,  if the fixes are so simple then how did so many items pass quality control in the first place?  The Fell was initially listed at a "low" pricepoint when compared to other similar sized models,  however,  in attracting "crowd funding" customers it seems that quality (and accuracy) in the end product was overlooked.  

No idea. 

I don’t work for KR Models. The limit of my involvement is that I have done some repair work on some of the returned models and drove their van to and from a number of exhibitions as they didn’t have anyone who could drive a hire van on those occasions. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

Its not only KR models who have this business model.

As CJI has pointed out, nobody said it was exclusive to KR. 

Personally I don't like this business model. I haven't bought up front in advance from RevolutioN despite having complete confidence in their principals and their now having a very solid track record in delivering excellent models. I avoided DJM as it was so obviously a train wreck in slow motion. Accurascale offer a prepay option but also accept pre-orders with a small deposit and work with retailers. I am happy to just buy models when they are available to deliver, if that means I might miss something then it's not the end of the world.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

As CJI has pointed out, nobody said it was exclusive to KR. 

Personally I don't like this business model. I haven't bought up front in advance from RevolutioN despite having complete confidence in their principals and their now having a very solid track record in delivering excellent models. I avoided DJM as it was so obviously a train wreck in slow motion. Accurascale offer a prepay option but also accept pre-orders with a small deposit and work with retailers. I am happy to just buy models when they are available to deliver, if that means I might miss something then it's not the end of the world.

You missed off Realtrack models as well for wanting payment up front.  If you want a 142, you're paying for it (i did).   As for Accurascale, if you want an 89, you're paying for that up front too. (Ditto). Which makes we wonder why bring up this model of commissioning models if its common across smaller manufacturers/manufacturers of obscure classes.

I'm guessing Santa didn't pay a visit to CJI

7 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

Oh yes he did - and he left just what I wanted!

A Heljan 'Peak' as D13, which sits here next to me, waiting to be fitted with the contents of the detail pack, and Peco Simplex / Hornby Dublo couplings.

Whether I, in my late / post-Covid state, will drag myself out to the railway room today remains to be seen!

John Isherwood.

PS.

I did get out to the railway room, but the replacement couplings are yet to be fitted.

However, a temporary small tension-lock allowed it to demonstrate the ability to walk away with twelve on - no fuss!

Edited by cctransuk
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ouroborus said:

You missed off Realtrack models as well for wanting payment up front.  If you want a 142, you're paying for it (i did).   As for Accurascale, if you want an 89, you're paying for that up front too. (Ditto). Which makes we wonder why bring up this model of commissioning models if its common across smaller manufacturers/manufacturers of obscure classes.

For clarity you can secure an 89 with a small deposit as with all of our models. You do not need to pay up front. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Ouroborus said:

Rather than being (intentionally?) offensive towards all and sundry, perhaps a little time spent checking your facts BEFORE posting would avoid you putting your foot in your mouth?

Just a thought .....

CJI.