KR Models announce the Fell in OO and N.

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

A look at the 'class of repair' column tells quite a story and don't overlook the fact that it is simply a record of the type of visit it made to works - not the reasons for the visit.

But,  assuming the dates are accurate - which they should be on that sort of record card - a Casual, i.e. unplanned, repair lasting from August 1952 to March 1954  then going back into works a week later for another Casual lasting the better part of 8 months tells a significant story indicating something seriously wrong.   Similarly a whole succession of Casuals following an extended General overhaul (July 1955 - March 1957) also tells a story suggesting some sort of recurrent problem arising from either the General overhaul or something installed or reconditioned during that overhaul.

Yes, I didn't look at the dates closely enough, it did spend far too much time in works for those repairs. Two entries for "crankpins" is interesting, might be connected with the wind up problems which led to the removal of the centre part of the coupling rods. Presumably its only general repair was when it was painted green. I'm still puzzled as to what "motors" referred to, it didn't have very many.

• Like 1

Took the factory fitted speaker out and replaced it with 2 4ohm speakers, one in each nose area. It has made it a much more convincing sound model. I also took away the visible red fan from both nose ends as you wouldn't of seen them behind the radiator. More progress towards accuracy!

Neil.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Asked about this today.

I was told, No tooling changes, next run is already in production due early next year.

If people will buy it then why spend more to correct errors many clearly aren't worried about? I wouldn't buy this half-baked effort but many have and are clearly happy with it. I'm just grateful there are other companies that take a bit more pride in getting it right and producing well researched and accurate items.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

8 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

If people will buy it then why spend more to correct errors many clearly aren't worried about? I wouldn't buy this half-baked effort but many have and are clearly happy with it. I'm just grateful there are other companies that take a bit more pride in getting it right and producing well researched and accurate items.

Unfortunately, it's highly unlikely that we'll see a 'proper' RTR Fell from anyone else.

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Unfortunately, it's highly unlikely that we'll see a 'proper' RTR Fell from anyone else.

CJI.

That's my real objection to the KR attempt. The Fell is such a niche prototype that it's unlikely a company willing to make the effort to get it right will have a go now. So it is this model or doing a kit. I find it sad to think of the model we might have had if just about any of the other OO companies had done it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
On 27/11/2022 at 10:49, jjb1970 said:

That's my real objection to the KR attempt. The Fell is such a niche prototype that it's unlikely a company willing to make the effort to get it right will have a go now. So it is this model or doing a kit. I find it sad to think of the model we might have had if just about any of the other OO companies had done it.

True, but a little balance.

The Fell is imo a lot like Heljan 10+ years ago.

its good, better than railroad, not at the highest level.

it was also priced like that too… You could get Heljans Kestrel, Lion etc for around £70, when a Railroad 47 was £45 and a Bachmann 47 was £100.

£160 for the Fell is not the £220-230  are being asked to pay for equally niche models 10800, 26500, 18100, and it is certainly better than the £100 asked for a Railroad model now.

Unfortunately the saving we get is the price we pay. I doubt if anyone else made Fell etc it would be at KRmodels price.

The new KR 40 is however at £210, and Accurascales 50 is at £190… KR crossing that chasm may need sturdy climbing gear… expectations are imo much less forgiving.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

True, but a little balance.

The Fell is imo a lot like Heljan 10+ years ago.

its good, better than railroad, not at the highest level.

it was also priced like that too… You could get Heljans Kestrel, Lion etc for around £70, when a Railroad 47 was £45 and a Bachmann 47 was £100.

£160 for the Fell is not the £220-230  are being asked to pay for equally niche models 10800, 26500, 18100, and it is certainly better than the £100 asked for a Railroad model now.

Not so sure about the 10+ years, I have a Kestral I bought on discount at £70 odd quid it had been out a few years it was a lot more when new, which is why I waited, that was before I retired in 2012 and I think Kestral was out on 2008/09….and looking at the quality of Kestral and the way it still runs it is nothing like the KR Fell (which I sent back).

Now I am not saying Heljan are perfect, far from it but when they do get it right it’s lovely.

Just trying make sense out of the lighting arrangements which are clearly not right. There should be four white lights on the front, top centre and three along the bottom. There is also one red tail light somewhere near the middle bottom. Would I be right in assuming that the bottom row centre white light is directly below the top centre white light and the the red tail light is the offset one?

I know the Fell didn't really use the electric lights but used discs or oil lamps, but iit would be nice to have them displaying correctly. I can always turn them off!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I fitted a particular decoder in my green Fell and got all white lights at on end and red at the other, the trouble being that it always traveled with red at the front and no matter what I tried I couldn't get it to go the right way. I then put a different decoder in, same problem, but only one white light. Anyhoo, managed to get it travelling white light leading, so that is how it stays.

Edited by 96701
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Yes, you’re correct about the layout of the electric lights but they weren’t used - oil tail lamps were always required many years after 10100’s demise.

Thank you Michael for confirming the lighting layout. As I said, I'm aware they were not used, but I would just like to have them displaying correctly if I can.

The model is a bit disappointing and I only really had it as I thought it would save me time on building your excellent looking kit. In the event, I shall probably end up building your kit anyway now.

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 28/11/2022 at 17:50, Wagonmaster said:

Just trying make sense out of the lighting arrangements which are clearly not right. There should be four white lights on the front, top centre and three along the bottom. There is also one red tail light somewhere near the middle bottom. Would I be right in assuming that the bottom row centre white light is directly below the top centre white light and the the red tail light is the offset one?

I know the Fell didn't really use the electric lights but used discs or oil lamps, but iit would be nice to have them displaying correctly. I can always turn them off!

In my video above you will see it's displaying a single white top centre light, (stopping passenger) and there are two red tail lights. If F0 is selected and put off and on within a short while, it will switch all front white lights on. In an ideal world you would want individual controls for each light. Not sure if any of the round plastic pieces in the accessories pack are maint to be discs for on the lamp irons, who knows?

Neil.

• RMweb Gold

On 17/11/2022 at 17:27, ColinB said:

If you want it to run better add a couple of Hornby Thompson bogies with pickups.

On 17/11/2022 at 23:35, Colin_McLeod said:

Can I just clarify, are you referring to the X6226 bogie for the L1?

Bump.

Can anyone please clarify?

Thanks, 

Colin

On 07/11/2022 at 12:17, ColinB said:

I don't know if this is of any use to anyone, but I received my sound based one and the running was terrible. It kept stopping and starting on any piece of uneven track. I sent it back to Rails and they adjusted the pickups but it was a little better but not brilliant. As I wanted to keep the model I looked into making mine a bit more reliable. I ordered some Hornby Thompson bogies that came with pickups, just to rob the pickups. Surprisingly the wheelbase of the bogies is the same as that of the fell, so I changed the wheels and substituted them for the Fell ones. I wired them in and amazingly my Fell runs perfectly. 

I don't want to be too critical but the whole model mechanically is a bit of a let down. Sam in his review complained about it not being easy to remove the base keeper plate, but it would be quite easy if they hadn't clipped the wire to a clip where if you try to pull it out strips the wire. Then you have the bottom half of the axle boxes that just "push in" which fall off if you handle the model.

Hi Colin, I too am frustrated with the pickup situation. Can I as what Thompson bogies you got for the pickups that were a good size match? Thanks in advance.

Neil.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi there, 

I realise this thread has long moved on from deliveries… but is anyone else still caught up waiting for their Fell to be delivered and getting no response from KR Models at all? I’m hoping by publicly sharing my attempts on here, someone at KR (or friendly / close to them) might be shocked / shamed into opening their emails, or another RMWebber might offer a more reliable contact suggestion than using their official email / website and speaking to them directly at shows… I’m at a bit of a loss.

Trebly frustrating as I also have 3 orders with them for Leader, Bellerophon and Bertha, and this poor service is leaving a really sour taste! Any suggestions? Cheers, 

craig 

Hi there,

I’m chasing up this email again, following 4 attempts now to get a response or delivery of the Fell that I have long paid for:

- I completed payment 13 Dec 2020

- I spoke to you at Milton Keynes show, where you viewed and agreed my prepaid transaction receipt (email receipt attached) 

- I emailed on 8 October 

- I followed up that email on 19 October, I’ve had no response to either

- I spoke to you at Warley last weekend and you wrote down my order details and said you’d be in touch after the show (or that the model would be received the following week)

What do I have to do to get a response? I really must insist on receiving the model within a week, receiving an immediate full refund, or should I start small claims proceedings? 

• Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, craigowen1976 said:

Hi there, 

I realise this thread has long moved on from deliveries… but is anyone else still caught up waiting for their Fell to be delivered and getting no response from KR Models at all? I’m hoping by publicly sharing my attempts on here, someone at KR (or friendly / close to them) might be shocked / shamed into opening their emails, or another RMWebber might offer a more reliable contact suggestion than using their official email / website and speaking to them directly at shows… I’m at a bit of a loss.

Trebly frustrating as I also have 3 orders with them for Leader, Bellerophon and Bertha, and this poor service is leaving a really sour taste! Any suggestions? Cheers, 

craig 

Hi there,

I’m chasing up this email again, following 4 attempts now to get a response or delivery of the Fell that I have long paid for:

- I completed payment 13 Dec 2020

- I spoke to you at Milton Keynes show, where you viewed and agreed my prepaid transaction receipt (email receipt attached) 

- I emailed on 8 October 

- I followed up that email on 19 October, I’ve had no response to either

- I spoke to you at Warley last weekend and you wrote down my order details and said you’d be in touch after the show (or that the model would be received the following week)

What do I have to do to get a response? I really must insist on receiving the model within a week, receiving an immediate full refund, or should I start small claims proceedings? 

I'm still waiting to receive a model as replacement for one I received that wasn't what I ordered so it isn't just you.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, craigowen1976 said:

or should I start small claims proceedings? 

You may have just answered your own question.  Even starting proceedings may kick start a response without having to go the full way.  

I'm not clear on the jurisdiction though: UK or Canada.

• RMweb Gold

Just to update from my earlier grumble, the posting (and a more direct email contact) seems to have had the desired effect; I got a response from KR Models this afternoon to say the Fell is finally on its way. Looking forward to receiving and testing it out. Thanks other RMWebbers for pointers. 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1