Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

14 hours ago, big jim said:

first thing I thought of was stan’s grandad in South Park who is always asking him to kill him off coz he’s so old 

Well, it could be even grimmer and darker.  Have a look at the annual video Maerklin released at the end of 2018:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7sgM3Hkr5Y

On 09/01/2020 at 06:43, Hal Nail said:

Even if the only difference was the roof, it's still an expensive investment to retool the body shell.

Thanks to Hal Nail and the wonders of the Bay of Fleas, I was able to look closely at photos of both the Hornby class 71 and the Silver Fox class 74 and although only looking at models*, I can now see that the overall shape and cab ends may look the same but the class 74 has different grilles/louvres and windows on the sides as well as a different roof. As the kit also offers bogie side frames, maybe even those are different.

So it would necessitate retooling the whole body even if the chassis remains the same which, as Hal points out, would require a major investment.

Still a shame about the Wagonlits sleeper coaches and fourgons, though!

Steve S

* I did try looking at prototype photos but couldn't find any properly clear enough to tell! 

5 hours ago, Bloodnok said:

....The 444 or 185 is a much heavier change -- the coaches will all need stretching by ~3m for a start. Both are probably in "new project" territory.

Both of these would each have to be an entirely new new project.

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I'd imagine the 185 bogies are completely different too given they have an entirely different transmission?

Indeed, almost completely different.

Body lengths, door positions, window arrangement, different roof, different under frame with diesel power pack, bogies and different cab ends.

Different sound project, come to that....if it's not stating the bl*****g obvious.

A completely different model.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

for balance i thought the Hornby video was pretty inoffensive and harmless enough and gave a sort of misty eyed snapshot of how the years pass us by from nipper to teen to adult to retired.... Hornby can only please some of the people all of the time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Both of these would each have to be an entirely new new project.

Body lengths, door positions, window arrangement, different roof, different under frame with diesel power pack, bogies and different cab ends.

Different sound project, come to that....if it's not stating the bl*****g obvious.

A completely different model.

Yes I was elaborating on the post already saying different body. I.e. not even the bogies can be re-used.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

3 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

even if the chassis remains the same

It isn't actually the same - the centre tanks are different! I was just making the point it wouldn't be viable anyway

They could use the insides I suppose but that bit got criticised for not having dcc capability.

• RMweb Premium
On 08/01/2020 at 21:47, newbryford said:

But still no un-named DB red 60 to make it even easier to renumber..............

And would it be that difficult to tweak the tooling to remove the NRN radio pod from the cab roof?

Which would then lend itself to DCR/GBRf/Beacon/Cappagh/other livery 60s.............................

Good point Mick. I hadn't thought of that. It is a shame that so far we now have seen three 60s announced in DB Red either with DB Schenker branding or the updated DB branding but all have been named. I have to agree that I wouldn't want to attempt to de-name and either re-name or not name at all a 60 costing £160. I am comfortable with removing numbers and adding new numbers but I wouldn't go as far as that. Not at this moment in time anyway. 

I am quite fussy sometimes over names and numbers sometimes but out of 062 and 100 which have been announced I am leaning more towards 062. I suppose the benefit of having two announced in the same livery, in the same year, as part of the same range is that big DB fans can buy both if they wish and others like me who don't model DB as much can choose which number or name best suits them out of the two. So Hornby are getting better at giving us some of the choice but not all of the choice as you mention, which considering how many DB 60s are un-named it would seem quite to choose one of those to allow for easy renumbering or renumbering and renaming if changing the ID to another named DB 60. 

I am sure that in 2021 we will see a GBRf and possibly DCR 60 too. Hornby are probably just trying to 'get their monies worth' if you like out of the full Colas livery as it's now obsolete as the 'Rail' branding has been removed from the bodysides now they are in traffic with GBRf. I suppose it would be criminal to skip the DB branded 60s too considering some have worn that branding for a couple of years already and will do for the foreseeable future. 

On 08/01/2020 at 22:59, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Already answered (amid 31 pages!!)- 43002+LA72+43198 are the train which worked the last passenger service from Paddington and the specials a fortnight later, the latest GWR carriage numbers announced make it possible to form up the exact 10 vehicle train as worked on those days. I shall take marks off for anyone not forming them the right way 'round with 43198 on the standard class end...

Thank you for the reply and for letting me know. 

I had no idea that the exact rake of GWR MK3s announced were the ones in that rake for the final train from Paddington and the specials. I would say that's very good work by Hornby for firstly thinking about it and then noting the exact MK3s used in these formations on these few days. Announcing those alongside another GWR special power car set has to be a winner. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Good point Mick. I hadn't thought of that. It is a shame that so far we now have seen three 60s announced in DB Red either with DB Schenker branding or the updated DB branding but all have been named. I have to agree that I wouldn't want to attempt to de-name and either re-name or not name at all a 60 costing £160. I am comfortable with removing numbers and adding new numbers but I wouldn't go as far as that. Not at this moment in time anyway. 

I am quite fussy sometimes over names and numbers sometimes but out of 062 and 100 which have been announced I am leaning more towards 062. I suppose the benefit of having two announced in the same livery, in the same year, as part of the same range is that big DB fans can buy both if they wish and others like me who don't model DB as much can choose which number or name best suits them out of the two. So Hornby are getting better at giving us some of the choice but not all of the choice as you mention, which considering how many DB 60s are un-named it would seem quite to choose one of those to allow for easy renumbering or renumbering and renaming if changing the ID to another named DB 60. 

I am sure that in 2021 we will see a GBRf and possibly DCR 60 too. Hornby are probably just trying to 'get their monies worth' if you like out of the full Colas livery as it's now obsolete as the 'Rail' branding has been removed from the bodysides now they are in traffic with GBRf. I suppose it would be criminal to skip the DB branded 60s too considering some have worn that branding for a couple of years already and will do for the foreseeable future. 

Thank you for the reply and for letting me know. 

I had no idea that the exact rake of GWR MK3s announced were the ones in that rake for the final train from Paddington and the specials. I would say that's very good work by Hornby for firstly thinking about it and then noting the exact MK3s used in these formations on these few days. Announcing those alongside another GWR special power car set has to be a winner. 

Yeah the thing is they haven't got my class 60 money, I was going to order a GBRF or DCR if they did it. Now I am hoping Bachmann does another run of Colas 70s.

Tried to get the catalogue+magazine offer locally today - WHS had a single HM and a big gap on the shelf alongside, Sainsburys had stacks but the hand held scanner did not show any discount so both put back on the shelves (they were some distance apart and no mention of the offer) so ended up ordering from Key where they are now £10.69 - sure it was £10 yesterday.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Tried to get the catalogue+magazine offer locally today - WHS had a single HM and a big gap on the shelf alongside, Sainsburys had stacks but the hand held scanner did not show any discount so both put back on the shelves (they were some distance apart and no mention of the offer) so ended up ordering from Key where they are now £10.69 - sure it was £10 yesterday.

I had better luck in my Smiths and got both for £10.69

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Yeah the thing is they haven't got my class 60 money, I was going to order a GBRF or DCR if they did it. Now I am hoping Bachmann does another run of Colas 70s.

I understand what you mean and I can see the situation from both Hornby's perspective and the customers perspective. To put DC Rail into context the first of four Class 60s was only released into traffic in the new livery in November 2019. At this stage Hornby are likely to have already had their catalogue for their 2020 range either nearly complete or fully complete. Also worth mentioning is that this was the first locomotive both of the DC Rail 60 fleet and the first to receive the livery. Therefore Hornby most likely will want to air on the side of caution and wait for the real life loco/s to be out and about working for some months before they announce one in model form. From their point of view it would be quite rash to announce one within the first two months of the first loco been unveiled in reality, when it's only worked a few mainline workings and with a small handful of different wagons/rolling stock. Therefore I would think on a personal note that the more a loco works with in terms of wagons, coaches and other stock they become more of interest to potentially model because their becomes more flexibility of what to run them with. 

But from our point as modellers/customers yes it would seem logical to release the new livery immediately because for some of us at least the loco has caught our interest and we are eager to model the locomotive and a complete train on our layouts. One thing Hornby won't want though is another DC Rail loco sitting on the shelves with retailers and in their warehouse as per the previous release of 56303 in DCR Green, which was announced and released in mid 2018 if my memory serves me correctly. With that in mind and with many of 56303 still been available over 18 months later it does suggest that the loco wasn't massively popular to sell in it's thousands as a mainstream model despite been in traffic and wearing the same green livery for a number of years. 

In all though, by the time the 2021 range is announced in January next year (I'm assuming) the first of the new DC Rail 60s will have been in traffic for 14, nearly 15 months and will have likely worked a lot more freight trains and possibly with a better variety of wagons, other than just JNA-Ts. By this stage their will also be a fleet of four DC Rail 60s, all of which will have been repainted and put into active service, thus more people will have seen them and their will be a lot more interest in them than what their was previously. I think the key is time, because it allows interests to grow and develop for modellers, thus giving manufacturers more of an incentive to produce them. 

• Agree 1

Just to clarify...

The combination offer on HM and the 2020 Catalogue was only available from WH Smith's, and Tesco.

Best of all is the free delivery (UK) option from the Key Publishing web shop.

I don't know where the £10.00 came from, as the discount is £4.00, which means that the price has always been £10.69....

I look at it as an almost free copy of H Magazine....

Subscribers can apply via Key Publishing for the catalogue only, with the £4.00 discount it seems....

I'm not a subscriber! ;)

• Informative/Useful 2

30 minutes ago, Sarahagain said:

Just to clarify...

The combination offer on HM and the 2020 Catalogue was only available from WH Smith's, and Tesco.

Best of all is the free delivery (UK) option from the Key Publishing web shop.

I don't know where the £10.00 came from, as the discount is £4.00, which means that the price has always been £10.69....

I look at it as an almost free copy of H Magazine....

Subscribers can apply via Key Publishing for the catalogue only, with the £4.00 discount it seems....

I'm not a subscriber! ;)

I have it on order from Rails and can't be bothered to ring them to cancel but this is a better deal IMO. Basically £1.19 for the magazine!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Sainsbury's isnt running the deal - its just WHS and Tesco. 

Not sure if all WHS shops are offering a discount. Swanage WHS wanted the full amount but that was the day before the offer started. Last year I took it up with their head office who assured me that the offer applied to all WHS shops and they gave me a £10 voucher for the inconvenience. I was hoping that they would get the message across this year.

I ordered the magazine and the catalogue post free from Keys for £10:69.  The good news is that I have saved £4 but the bad news is that I have not seen the February Hornby Magazine or the Hornby Catalogue yet. From what I have seen it looks like some items have already sold out.

• RMweb Premium

I vsited WH Smiths outside Wimbledon Station on Wimbledon Broadway this evening and was told that they were not doing the offer as they were a station branch and not on the High Street  in spite of the fact that the branch is not in the station. 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I vsited WH Smiths outside Wimbledon Station on Wimbledon Broadway this evening and was told that they were not doing the offer as they were a station branch and not on the High Street  in spite of the fact that the branch is not in the station. 

But from memory it is in the station forecourt, i.e. within the curtilage of the station lease.

3 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

But from our point as modellers/customers yes it would seem logical to release the new livery immediately because for some of us at least the loco has caught our interest and we are eager to model the locomotive and a complete train on our layouts. One thing Hornby won't want though is another DC Rail loco sitting on the shelves with retailers and in their warehouse as per the previous release of 56303 in DCR Green, which was announced and released in mid 2018 if my memory serves me correctly. With that in mind and with many of 56303 still been available over 18 months later it does suggest that the loco wasn't massively popular to sell in it's thousands as a mainstream model despite been in traffic and wearing the same green livery for a number of years. 

What wouldn't have helped Hornby's sales of the DCR 56 was that, around the same time that the model was released, the real 56303 had an accident in Wembley Yard. I don't think it's actually left Wembley since and may be sat there still with it's drooping cab. 

One of the Grey DCR 56's may have been a better choice at the time. 

Edited by surfsup
Edited details regarding the 56.

1 hour ago, surfsup said:

What wouldn't have helped Hornby's sales of the DCR 56 was that, around the same time that the model was released, the real 56303 had an accident in Wembley Yard. I don't think it's actually left Wembley since and may be sat there still with it's drooping cab. 

One of the Grey DCR 56's may have been a better choice at the time. 

And the green livery isn't that nice IMO. The new livery looks good I think

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I think we're up to 4 DB red Hornby 60s now.

60007/044/062/100

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

But from memory it is in the station forecourt, i.e. within the curtilage of the station lease.

Yes, you are probably right about it being station property. I had not thought about that at the time. A bit like the small Tesco stores not doing the offer. I just wish this sort of offer of available at all the branches of the named stores, it would make it so much easier for everyone. 

• Agree 2