Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

8 hours ago, ChrisA4 said:

Having seen all of the disappointing news from the Hush Hush, I was relieved to have my W1 arrive safely to the US.  I bought this directly from Hornby's UK website as my original Hatton's order was canceled and this was the only place I could preorder it from. I must say that the shipping box had no form of bubble wrap or padding inside to prevent the models box from being tossed around harshly, so I was very fortunate to receive a pristine model in my hands. I would hope that a model that costs upwards of 240 USD would be better packed, especially if its directly from Hornby.

Stunning model overall! 

IMG_9759.JPG

IMG_9758.JPG

Sadly, "direct" from Hornby is a contradiction in terms. Hornby have handed all their warehousing and shipping off to a third party firm. There have been complaints about insufficient packaging resulting in items getting damaged in the post. (I've had a couple damaged myself.) Unfortunately, all the time that it is perceived as saving Hornby money, I suspect that they will do everything they can not to upset the shippers. Hornby may take your order, but that is passed on, and it is about time that we all told Hornby just how bad things are getting. 

1 hour ago, micklner said:

There only two Correct versions.

The Single Chimney and the Double Chimney, the W1 it carried for a few weeks or less, before rebuilding. The other two are fictious.

When doing technical research for our sound projects we had a graduate mechanical engineer (vehicle technology) on our team.
Based on technical documents he found out that there were probably 3 variants (the last two only for a short time):
1. Single chimney and a gear apparatus above the LH cylinder, 
2. Single chimney and gear apparatus removed, but an additional bar rod above the LH gear instead
3. Same as 2. but with a double blastpipe.

Saluti

Alessandro

Edited by Locoman58
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 minutes ago, Locoman58 said:

When doing technical research for our sound projects we had a graduate mechanical engineer (vehicle technology) on our team.
Based on technical documents he found out that there were probably 3 variants (the last two only for a short time):
1. Single chimney and a gear apparatus above the LH cylinder, 
2. Single chimney and gear apparatus removed, but an additional bar above the LH gear instead
3. Same as 2. but with a double blastpipe.

Saluti

Alessandro

There was also this variant... be interesting if Hornby added this option.

20211203_213652.jpg

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

Well I popped in the modelshop on the way home and there on the counter was my Hush Hush just being prepared for a test :) So I assisted in the testing and we had a nice chat while it ran in. Fortunately no damage and sweet running and a stunning model. Just need a trip to the parents to give it a run as I have no stock to match it ;) 

It’s a shame somewhere in the packing and transport process has resulted in damage but a good one is a delightful model. 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Lewi73050 said:

There was also this variant... be interesting if Hornby added this option.

20211203_213652.jpg

That was fitted as a result of the Double Chimney being fitted, for a even shorter period of time .It would be a much better version to have been made . Perhaps someone will produce a etch!!.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

47 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Well I popped in the modelshop on the way home and there on the counter was my Hush Hush just being prepared for a test :) So I assisted in the testing and we had a nice chat while it ran in. Fortunately no damage and sweet running and a stunning model. Just need a trip to the parents to give it a run as I have no stock to match it ;) 

It’s a shame somewhere in the packing and transport process has resulted in damage but a good one is a delightful model. 

I've been running mine with Clerestory and Hawksworths for the past 24 hours :lol:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived today from TMC.

It had a Hornby outer box (that's a first for me) and was also bubble wrapped in TMC's box.

It came second post (?), the postie had already dropped off a couple of subscription mags and a letter but came back later with the parcel and a Christmas card

A good perusal did not show up any damage, so It looks like I am one of the lucky ones. It looks stunning and seems fairly weighty.

I wonder how tight a curve the replacement flanged wheels will allow?

Will give it a run tomorrow with a rake of Teaks

• Like 5

Been to collect mine this afternoon. Luckily opened it up in-store to check all was well inside the box - it wasn't...

That seems like a pretty catastrophic failure in packaging design - ironic given how finely rendered the front deflector plates are, really.

IMG_6059.jpg.302ffc196991d9d4c38295cbcc8dc26b.jpg

IMG_6060.jpg.009a2e60a9162022a116bd48a33fd6fe.jpg

This was the only such affected model in the retailer's batch. Fortunately they weren't quite sold out, so I went home with an intact 10000. Made some interesting noises while being run-in, but seems to have settled down now.

IMG_6072.jpg.b9539d2e697484c1ae56f451c13cd3c8.jpg

The fine details at the forward end of the running plate are particularly impressive. 

IMG_6075.jpg.4c45da36c184a243cc832b2405c0d5b2.jpg

• Like 13

I'm surprised the packaging isn't better. Last year I bought a Hornby B12 and in the block of ice, there are 10 different pieces of dense foam glued onto it pressing on the front, top, and back of the loco. High quality stuff.
The folded cardboard box also has some cushioning properties. Wrap all that in bubble wrap and put it in a cardboard box and it should be good to go.

• Like 1

Good old Hermes delivered my package today after a weeks delay and left it out in the pouring rain all day as I was out. Why do Hornby use this stupid company for deliveries?  Our postman knows to leave packages with any neighbour, but you can’t communicate with Hermes. 

I’ll inspect it when I get back, but if it’s damaged in any way it’s going straight back to Hornby. Not bad after waiting two years.

Not happy.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, OliverBytham said:

Been to collect mine this afternoon. Luckily opened it up in-store to check all was well inside the box - it wasn't...

That seems like a pretty catastrophic failure in packaging design - ironic given how finely rendered the front deflector plates are, really.

IMG_6059.jpg.302ffc196991d9d4c38295cbcc8dc26b.jpg

IMG_6060.jpg.009a2e60a9162022a116bd48a33fd6fe.jpg

This was the only such affected model in the retailer's batch. Fortunately they weren't quite sold out, so I went home with an intact 10000. Made some interesting noises while being run-in, but seems to have settled down now.

IMG_6072.jpg.b9539d2e697484c1ae56f451c13cd3c8.jpg

The fine details at the forward end of the running plate are particularly impressive. 

IMG_6075.jpg.4c45da36c184a243cc832b2405c0d5b2.jpg

Sadly mine arrived at 6:30 this evening with similar front end damage.  Did leave a phone message with the seller, but obviously will have to speak direct in the morning.

I see they're sprouting up all over ebay, some listed as damaged, some starting bids at £150, others 'buy now' at £299!

Trouble is, once bitten......

• Friendly/supportive 2

7 minutes ago, Ribird said:

@828CC and @OliverBytham I guess I was not the only one with this damage! Good to know! 

Not really a club I wanted to join though (no offence!)

Fortunately reading the 'returns' policy from the retailer I'm covered for goods received damaged, but then it's back in the lottery for a good one!

TBH as  it's 'display' only, I could have worn the 'tender front damage' version, as that's a repair out of eyeline, but not the front end...

Edited by 828CC
to add material
  • Funny 1

9 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

Personally, I think it's the luck of the draw - they are generally pretty good in my area.

At the other end of the scale UPS have been dire recently.

You are correct - it's down to the individual driver.

Around here, Hermes are far and away the best!

CJI.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Mine has a small hairline crack  by the two safety valves on the left side and I live overseas, so I kinda don't really want to pay the return shipping costs just to get a credit for the Hornby store. I was thinking about removing the body and trying to glue the crack from the inside and touch it up with some paint. Anyone have any good paint color suggestions to touch up the crack ? 

Untitled111.png

Edited by Bena

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

You are correct - it's down to the individual driver.

Around here, Hermes are far and away the best!

CJI.

Especially with a 3 wood.

They manage to get the parcel to the porch most times.:yes:

• Funny 4

I’ll be picking mine up on Saturday morning from my local model shop, had a call today to say it’s arrived in stock and they’ve only managed to get one copy of an grey unnamed 10000. I’ll be having a very close look at it before I get my card out. 

I believe that to receive "CE" certification the item must survive a drop test.  It seems that the abuse these damaged locomotives have received either exceeds the limits of the CE requirement or the packaging does not meet certification standards.  To date it seems that Hornby is very hush-hush on the reports of damaged locomotives.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

I believe that to receive "CE" certification the item must survive a drop test.  It seems that the abuse these damaged locomotives have received either exceeds the limits of the CE requirement or the packaging does not meet certification standards.  To date it seems that Hornby is very hush-hush on the reports of damaged locomotives.

I may just be continuing a falsehood but there was a rumour that many so called CE marks were spaced slightly further apart than they should be and actually meant Chinese Export.