Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

Interesting to note the front footsteps are in the bag of extras to be fitted in the original condition model, as promised.  

The other thing that has me intrigued is this locomotive  is carrying Royal Train headlamps.  I  am not aware that it ever worked the Royal Train.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 03/08/2022 at 07:26, Opelsi said:

I too had an email asking for a (balancing) payment.

This was however for R3979 version on Monday.

Only just seen it so must pay this morning.

Cannot wait for this (ugly) beauty!

Balance Paid.

Should be arriving tomorrow as it is already on the way.

Looking forward to seeing what it looks like in the flesh with the double blast pipe.

Also wondering how it will compare/differ to the 'R30126 LNER, W1 Class 'Hush Hush' (Smoke Lifting Cowl)' version due next year I believe.

Minimal a Double Chimney on first one,  and a small extra piece of plastic on top of the double chimney area on the other, this version ran for a few weeks/days before the W1 was rebuilt .

Its called milking the tooling to the maximum.

At least these two are genuine versions, unlike the Named and Green versions.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, micklner said:

Minimal a Double Chimney on first one,  and a small extra piece of plastic on top of the double chimney area on the other, this version ran for a few weeks/days before the W1 was rebuilt .

Its called milking the tooling to the maximum.

Come on they have to make a profit from the tooling somehow 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, micklner said:

C'mon

The plates are genuine and the loco is genuine, they just didn't quite get together........🤨

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WestRail642fan said:

im really tempted to buy the BR green W1, but im worried it might have a motor issue like the last model i bought from Hornby (the APT)

I was lucky with my original Hush Hush – it arrived intact and runs well. The only blemish being the trailing wheels. However, the problems reported with the 91, LNER IET and the APT-P have sent my spend elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/08/2022 at 11:27, Bon Accord said:

Just received my BR late crest version.

Is it just me or have they tweaked the BR green slightly? Compared to that used on the Clan and A2 releases it looks a bit more "right".

Think I recall reading on the Wrights Write thread that Himself had been consulted :)

• RMweb Gold
On 04/08/2022 at 22:54, melmerby said:

C'mon

The plates are genuine and the loco is genuine, they just didn't quite get together........🤨

In a parallel universe this could have been rectified if A1 trust had actually wanted to build Britain’s most powerful steam locomotive then they would have chosen to build a refreshed W1 as a 3 cylinder compound and called it British Enterprise.  Rather better than the thermodynamically and mechanically challenged, track straightening green monster P2! 😱

Also in a parallel universe, Hornby would be better and not renege on model quantities for their customer base.  Though this seems even less likely that a full size recreated W1

Edited by palmsticks
Hornby behaviour

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, palmsticks said:

In a parallel universe this could have been rectified if A1 trust had actually wanted to build Britain’s most powerful steam locomotive then they would have chosen to build a refreshed W1 as a 3 cylinder compound and called it British Enterprise.  Rather better than the thermodynamically and mechanically challenged, track straightening green monster P2! 😱

Also in a parallel universe, Hornby would be better and not renege on model quantities for their customer base.  Though this seems even less likely that a full size recreated W1

The original W1 was a 4 cylinder compound.

As well as having a normal boiler the rebuild replaced the two small inside cylinders with one the same size as the outside ones, hence a tractive effort much higher than A4s.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 03/08/2022 at 11:44, Trevor Hammond said:

The other thing that has me intrigued is this locomotive  is carrying Royal Train headlamps.  I  am not aware that it ever worked the Royal Train.

And they are firmly glued on!  It took quite a lot of wiggling with small pliers to get the extra two lamps off, and they left a white residue that needed painting over.  

Not a major issue, but an odd choice by Hornby.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/08/2022 at 14:20, melmerby said:

The original W1 was a 4 cylinder compound.

As well as having a normal boiler the rebuild replaced the two small inside cylinders with one the same size as the outside ones, hence a tractive effort much higher than A4s.

Yes to rebuilt W1 more TE that an A4...  But both would have been inferior to a 3 cylinder compound W1 with the bugs fixed and driven properly  - a la Chapelon 242A1! *dreams*

• RMweb Gold
On 06/08/2022 at 07:23, Trevor Hammond said:

A little darker but not so much as the artwork suggests.

Ah thanks.

Please could you also look at the motion bracket and the front end:  Is the motion bracket taller and smokebox outer door removed on the double Kychap version?  Also the cab plumbing should be a bit different. If you wouldn't mind, could you please do a side be side picture of them both? Many thanks!

Mavellous to have a RTR W1 in 4mm.

• RMweb Gold
On 08/08/2022 at 06:44, Trevor Hammond said:

Motion bracket is different and the cover over the smokebox door is removed. Not sure about cab plumbing.   I'm away for a few days so can't take photos at present. 

Thank you.  Extra plumbing would be for seperate feed for the injector, I think on RHS on the back of the backhead instead of coming off the central manifold.  No worries on the picture.

On 03/08/2022 at 11:44, Trevor Hammond said:

I thought the loco had electric headlamps and that they were fixed to the loco?