RMweb

New tooling - BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0 2MT 78xxx

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold
On 04/12/2023 at 20:26, TomScrut said:

78022.jpg.650dc5e4c672f23b6974ae395762e606.jpg

Heads up - if you've had the recent email from Hornby offering £25 off spends over £150 the club 2MT is included (at least they've accepted my order) so £164.99 with free delivery. Even going to throw in a trainset 0-4-0 apparently so thats Mrs P sorted for Chrimbo 🤣 

Apologies for using your post @TomScrutjust for the photo!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I haven't received this email, is it a club email or just being signed up to their newsletter?

I am really tempted by the club model, I run mostly Early BR and a BR Green loco for the branchline trains would be great. I know it is a preserved livery hence the electric flashes, and whilst they are period accurate flashes I really wish they weren't included.

Edited by Richy59
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Richy59 said:

I haven't received this email, is it a club email or just being signed up to their newsletter?

I am really tempted by the club model, I run mostly Early BR and a BR Green loco for the branchline trains would be great. I know it is a preserved livery hence the electric flashes, and whilst they are period accurate flashes I really wish they weren't included.

No idea how I got it- first line of the email just says 'Congratulations Mike! You’re part of an exclusive group to receive this email.' and there is a discount code. My best guess is some sort of advertising algorithm. I'm in the collectors club and its been more than a year since I bought anything from them (the Brighton Works Terrier - that was a while ago wasnt it?).

I'm happy with the electrification flashes as I'm modelling '60's' and as far as compromise goes I believe BR Green wasnt carried in service by  78022 and I don't think any of the BR Green examples carried the early crest so happy for it to be a 'depot pet'. Might get a repaint in the distant future. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I'm happy with the electrification flashes as I'm modelling '60's' and as far as compromise goes I believe BR Green wasnt carried in service by  78022 and I don't think any of the BR Green examples carried the early crest so happy for it to be a 'depot pet'. Might get a repaint in the distant future. 

I think a couple of the WR examples were in BR Green with early emblem. Here is 78006 fresh from Swindon in 1957

78006 Swindon 31st March 1957

Photo can be cross referenced with a colour photo from same date on Colour Rail albeit without a tender

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SteamingWales said:

I think a couple of the WR examples were in BR Green with early emblem. Here is 78006 fresh from Swindon in 1957

78006 Swindon 31st March 1957

Photo can be cross referenced with a colour photo from same date on Colour Rail albeit without a tender

Brill - thanks for sharing this. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

No idea how I got it- first line of the email just says 'Congratulations Mike! You’re part of an exclusive group to receive this email.' and there is a discount code. My best guess is some sort of advertising algorithm. I'm in the collectors club and its been more than a year since I bought anything from them (the Brighton Works Terrier - that was a while ago wasnt it?).

That's lucky then, when I saw your post about this voucher it made me think I would just pick the club 2MT up, and I have some rewards points which would have made it even better. I only just signed up to the club at end of last month, maybe I'm too new for a sweetner voucher 😅

I know the electrical flashes wouldn't be far off the era, but am thinking how easy they would be to 'rub' off or if its not worth it as may damage the paint too easily.

• Like 1

IMG_20231209_140925.jpg.68b3c15fa5761447ebdfb50a717b77ac.jpg

Double or quits time! 

Firstly the replacement 78054 (returned and new model arrived within 4 days for anyone interested). This came with a check sheet to say the model had been checked by the vendor so should be fine... 

IMG_20231209_141201.jpg.5e2fb652949e8466dc622883b144160d.jpgIMG_20231209_141233_edit_574261785944475.jpg.44878a8dde5438e5e2d8f3727033544c.jpg

Ok, should be easy enough to fit back on but a little frustrating. 

Let's just check the other one (purchased from a different vendor) 

IMG_20231209_141343_edit_574653114673909.jpg.6a8548780f4bbee40618a46808465f25.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if I've upset the postman this year or if I'm just unlucky! 

• Friendly/supportive 3

After a good check over 78047 is fixed and running in on the rollers.

IMG_20231209_152901.jpg.8df5a24ab078e868b5285dab9c07a8cf.jpgIMG_20231209_154337.jpg.8c5f9883a7cf5dc5efbf6c43dbcb3fd0.jpg

Now the tricky question: as I said earlier my idea is to make a replica of 78018 (as currently running on the GCR). 47 is the better starting point as 54 is missing the battery box/air tank(?) that are on 18.

Do I repair 54 and sell it on or just return it (again) to the seller and ask for a refund? It seems quite harsh for the one pipe that's come off as it should be an easy job to refix it however it is *technically* broken.

Edited by K Hatton
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, K Hatton said:

Do I repair 54 and sell it on or just return it (again) to the seller and ask for a refund? It seems quite harsh for the one pipe that's come off as it should be an easy job to refix it however it is *technically* broken.

Often a tricky one on here, personally I would stick it back, it's not like it's a bent conrod 😆, (sorry, couldn't resist).  Any loco's I've bought in shop have never had bits missing, the mail order ones have always had bits off however my Accura Manor and Deltic shed more bits during running in, again not enough to warrant returning. 

I always make sure a loco at least runs OK before I worry about the bits.  There was someone on here last weekend who was reluctant to even get the 78 out to check and got short shrift from AYmod (rightly, posts have gone now).

The more folks want high fidelity models the worse it will get, again personally I prefer a model to look like it should, and I'm not so much fussed about minute details e.g. under the model that can't even be seen unless upside down.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, IOW O2 said:

Often a tricky one on here, personally I would stick it back, it's not like it's a bent conrod 😆, (sorry, couldn't resist).  Any loco's I've bought in shop have never had bits missing, the mail order ones have always had bits off however my Accura Manor and Deltic shed more bits during running in, again not enough to warrant returning. 

I always make sure a loco at least runs OK before I worry about the bits.  There was someone on here last weekend who was reluctant to even get the 78 out to check and got short shrift from AYmod (rightly, posts have gone now).

No offense taken! I've spoken to the vendor and they have advised me to return it as it sits which suits me fine. 

I commented on the above situation (and my comment was also deleted!) so will say no more about it.

• Like 2

Hello all,

I've just taken delivery of my collector's club 2MT 78022 and its a lovely thing and runs great. Only problem is the front bogie makes a weird 'rattle' like sound as the loco runs, almost as if it isn't quite on the track correctly when it is.

Everything else is spot on so I was wondering if anyone knew what this was? Taken the wheel off, cleaned it and put it back in etc but no avail

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, kelsh003 said:

Hello all,

I've just taken delivery of my collector's club 2MT 78022 and its a lovely thing and runs great. Only problem is the front bogie makes a weird 'rattle' like sound as the loco runs, almost as if it isn't quite on the track correctly when it is.

Everything else is spot on so I was wondering if anyone knew what this was? Taken the wheel off, cleaned it and put it back in etc but no avail

I'd check the back to back measurement of the bogie. Then the security of the fixings screw. If it isnt the bogie check for anything that can catch a spoke or the rails - favourites for this are sandpipes and pick ups. Also worth having a check of the rods and motion, make sure nothing is 'catching' .

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I'd check the back to back measurement of the bogie. Then the security of the fixings screw. If it isnt the bogie check for anything that can catch a spoke or the rails - favourites for this are sandpipes and pick ups. Also worth having a check of the rods and motion, make sure nothing is 'catching' .

Had a quick look and it turns out there are all sorts of 'dimples' or indents in the bogie wheel, causing it to make these sounds as it runs!

Fired an e-mail to Hornby, I'm sure they'll be able to send a replacement wheel over. 

• RMweb Gold
On 09/12/2023 at 15:55, K Hatton said:

After a good check over 78047 is fixed and running in on the rollers.

IMG_20231209_152901.jpg.8df5a24ab078e868b5285dab9c07a8cf.jpgIMG_20231209_154337.jpg.8c5f9883a7cf5dc5efbf6c43dbcb3fd0.jpg

Now the tricky question: as I said earlier my idea is to make a replica of 78018 (as currently running on the GCR). 47 is the better starting point as 54 is missing the battery box/air tank(?) that are on 18.

You my want to swap the connecting rods, (or the chassis) as 78047 has the aws but 78054 has fluted rods like 78018.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, kelsh003 said:

On a different note, anyone else had their 2MT suffer a slight limp? It looks like mine wobbles a bit, more so in reverse than forwards and wondered if this was an "exchange for better model" issue

Pretty prototypical for a 2 cylinder loco isn’t it 😂

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 12/12/2023 at 20:05, adb968008 said:

You my want to swap the connecting rods, (or the chassis) as 78047 has the aws but 78054 has fluted rods like 78018.

Useful information to know, I'll have to source some fluted connecting rods at a later date as both have already been posted (78054 returned for a refund, 78047 for renumbering and other works 🤫) but thanks for the heads up. 

Edited by K Hatton

• RMweb Gold

Collector’s Club edition arrived today. Front buffer detached but present, drain cocks bent inwards as per other examples on this thread but otherwise undamaged.  Happy to fix the cosmetic items under the ‘snagging’ heading.  Very smooth on initial running in on the rolling road so assuming it does an hour on DC in each direction without issue it will be a keeper. Station Pilot duty then awaits :)

IMG_1104.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Mine has just turned up. No damage, but both the cylinder drain cocks were loose in the packaging.  Just pointing that out in case someone can't find them. They might be somewhere in the box.

I'm now in two minds to keep it as it is and get another green one as I mainly wanted a Cambrian allocated one. 

Jason