New tooling - BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0 2MT 78xxx

Graham_Muz

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Mine has just turned up. No damage, but both the cylinder drain cocks were loose in the packaging.  Just pointing that out in case someone can't find them. They might be somewhere in the box.

I'm now in two minds to keep it as it is and get another green one as I mainly wanted a Cambrian allocated one. 

Jason

78006 has just come into stock as I've just paid for my pre-order from TMC 😁

• Informative/Useful 1

27 minutes ago, 60027Merlin said:

To follow on from the previous photo I forgot to mention that the steps on the front running plate were added as some of the class were fitted with them. Not too sure if this was a local thing or not.

St.278047(8).JPG.a6a9895d64c8e9dc945a87ece7be8c81.JPG

This is something I'll need to do to mine, may I ask what you used/did you just glue them on? 

• RMweb Premium

I used a suitable thickness of a spare piece of whitemetal from a loco kit. There are quite a number in the box!

From photographs of 78047 I judged the size and slightly champhered  the edge which was to be glued to the running plate. I used a fast setting Araldite for this then painted them during the weathering stage.

Eric

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/12/2023 at 17:34, 60027Merlin said:

To follow on from the previous photo I forgot to mention that the steps on the front running plate were added as some of the class were fitted with them. Not too sure if this was a local thing or not.

Not a local thing, no - though all the Hawick ones (46-49) had them. Seem to remember it's been discussed on RMWeb before. Do none of the Hornby versions have them? 

3 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Not a local thing, no - though all the Hawick ones (46-49) had them. Seem to remember it's been discussed on RMWeb before. Do none of the Hornby versions have them? 

Not as far as I have seen. Unfortunately.

Merlin seems to have a sensible solution.

I have mentally looked at a formed brass strip version. While nearer to scale it would be difficult to fix securely.

To me this addittion does greatly improve the head on view of a Borders based machine.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Not as far as I have seen. Unfortunately.

Merlin seems to have a sensible solution.

I have mentally looked at a formed brass strip version. While nearer to scale it would be difficult to fix securely.

To me this addittion does greatly improve the head on view of a Borders based machine.

Bernard

My plan was always to do it in brass, perhaps using some of the steps available from Wizard models; a stem filed into the rear of the step, or a piece of .45 wire soldered underneath the step, would be inserted into a hold drilled in the footplate front. 

1 minute ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

I thought there were steps in the "bits" bag?

There are. But they are talking about the steps on the angle of the running plate, just above the lamp irons.

Most didn't have them so I assume it was a local alteration for some reason. Could it be for engines used as bankers?

78018 does have them.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/78018-2/

As does 78019.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/78019-2/

78022 doesn't and I don't think any of the ones originally allocated to the Western Region had them.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/78022-2/

Jason

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The DJH kit (78016  on my layout) has them, the Hornby one will become 78026 which didn't have them. I can't claim that any thought went into that, I hadn't even noticed they were missing until it got mentioned on here! 

On the DJH kit they are exactly as Daddyman's method- flat brass with a nib soldered into a dent on the whitemetal footplate. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I finally got to run mine tonight on the club layout. I have had the loco since early October when they first arrived. I carefully ran it in on my rolling road. Then up and down on about 8 feet of track on the front of my layout. Before tonight’s final proper run. Two laps of the “Duffield” layout and ……..

IMG_9978.jpeg.3ac1073cab5b2e1a1a497c3fe99416ac.jpeg

Another on its way back. I’ve never had this happen before on a new locomotive 

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Been commissioning my members club version today. The left buffer, loose in the packaging on delivery was reattached without issue (not sure how it became detached in the first place as it’s a firm friction fit in the buffer beam). The bent draincocks have responded a little to gentle warming (a cotton bud dipped in warm water rested against the bend then light finger pressure applied). Still bent slightly inwards but not as much as when delivered and  not fouling the pony. 

Have sound fitted with a SWD Std 4 project on a V4 that was ‘spare’ and used the ESU 28mm speaker in the supplied space in the tender.  Couldn’t get the 8 pin V4 to fit with the tender weight (30g) in place so removed that and have added 20g in the coal space. Like most Hornby tenders the pick ups add drag but with weight added all of the axles are at least rotating. Loco runs smoothly and sound isn’t bad but will look to upgrade the speaker in due course.

Nice to find a Hornby drawbar that actually fits in its closet setting - I am finding the loco will negotiate a 36 inch curve on the close setting. It looks very effective like this and the cab doors are cleverly’ hinged’ to look closed. 

Not sure I’ve seen this mentioned before but impressed with the construction of the front pony which allows the wheel set to be removed without separating one wheel from the axle. This will be very helpful if I fit the front steps and that then fouls the front bogie on the aforementioned 36inch curves - I’ll just drop a Gibson wheel set in which should give the required extra clearance. As you can see, plenty to do on the layout before I need to worry about such things! 

Becoming very enamoured of this loco - not cheap but it is quality even if mine has required a little snagging. 

IMG_1207.jpeg

IMG_1206.jpeg

IMG_1205.jpeg

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, philsandy said:

I have pre ordered the unlined green 78000 version from Hattons. This has been available direct from Hornby since the 18th I think, but have not heard anything from Hattons yet.

Anyone have any info re. this?

Yes it's with retailers. I received mine from Kernow, last Friday.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, philsandy said:

I have pre ordered the unlined green 78000 version from Hattons. This has been available direct from Hornby since the 18th I think, but have not heard anything from Hattons yet.

Yes just bought one this morning from Hereford Model Centre

• Thanks 1

On 28/12/2023 at 00:55, philsandy said:

I, too, am still waiting for my preorder from Hattons to be processed. I noticed other retailers had been receiving their quantities of the model throughout that week as well and have been keeping a close eye on my inbox in anticipation for the "Order Processed" email however I'm not in too much of a rush for it to arrive across the pond; It'll get here when it gets here I suppose (It's going in the trunk anyways). I had just assumed it was the typical holiday rush which caused Hattons to fall behind the other retailers in terms of receiving 78000 and the new batch of A4s (Dublo and Main range) although we are in the last day(s) of 2023 and still no word from them regarding 78000 (and the A4s too). Could be wrong of course but that's just my theory.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GreatWesternFan220 said:

I, too, am still waiting for my preorder from Hattons to be processed. I noticed other retailers had been receiving their quantities of the model throughout that week as well and have been keeping a close eye on my inbox in anticipation for the "Order Processed" email however I'm not in too much of a rush for it to arrive across the pond; It'll get here when it gets here I suppose (It's going in the trunk anyways). I had just assumed it was the typical holiday rush which caused Hattons to fall behind the other retailers in terms of receiving 78000 and the new batch of A4s (Dublo and Main range) although we are in the last day(s) of 2023 and still no word from them regarding 78000 (and the A4s too). Could be wrong of course but that's just my theory.

Have you checked your spam folder - sometimes they treat anything from a source which has multiple addressees on its email lists as spam.