Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Manor Announced for 00

meatloaf

2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Isnt it bare metal rather than white?

The embellishments I have found are a bit of a mine field as I have been researching them to add to my 7802 from the "other" manufacturer.

This photo from 1959 they look to be silver paint, think there is a colour photo on Colour Rail or one of the other photo archive sites

At some point shortly after this the paint used changed to white. My layout is set in 1960 and by this point the paint was white

Which part of the front end is painted also isn't consistent. It's a bit mix and match from....

Consistent:

Buffers

Smokebox dart

Inconsistent:

Smokebox hinges

Lamp irons

Edge of smokebox number lined out

Front coupling and screw link

Front coupling only (no screw link)

Front of pony truck/guard irons 

Front face of cab steps

I guess it all depends on how accurate you want your model to a time period (like myself) and reference to dated photos is important

I don't think you could go wrong though with painted buffers, dart and hinges as a start as these are the most consistent having just flicked through a few books

Edited by SteamingWales
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Quarryscapes said:

No, it's silver or white paint depending on the particular day. 

White seems to be the more commonly used colour of the two though.

Like I said above what was and wasn't painted is also a bit inconsistent.

If you were specifically modelling 15th May 1959 then silver would be more appropriate. For most of us though I guess we have picked a certain time frame (for me 1960 +/- a year) so what Dapol end up offering is likely to be accurate at some point in that time frame

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

White seems to be the more commonly used colour of the two though.

Like I said above what was and wasn't painted is also a bit inconsistent.

If you were specifically modelling 15th May 1959 then silver would be more appropriate. For most of us though I guess we have picked a certain time frame (for me 1960 +/- a year) so what Dapol end up offering is likely to be accurate at some point in that time frame

Don't forget that these were unofficial embellishments and what was or wasn't painted with what colour paint depended entirely on the whim (artistic temperament??) of the shed staff who wieded the paint brush and their local boss.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Definitely white paint on 7802 in the picture on This page

Not the top picture on the page … scroll down to the photo at Aberystwyth.

The white painted buffers, smokebox hinges etc, on 7802 was the work of the Aberystwyth shedmaster Danny Rowlands who, apparently, bought the white paint out of his own pocket. It was locally known as "Danny's Bull" as mentioned upthread.

Ray.

Edited by Marshall5
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

As a family we spent most of our holidays on the Cambrian section from 1960 to the end of steam and saw most of the Aberystwyth Manors.  Days out were often spent at Shrewsbury where one of 89C's 'bulled up' Manors would be seen arriving on the up CCE and departing on the down - and the buffers etc were always white, never silver. I'm sure other sheds may have used silver but I never saw it on one of Danny's Manors.  The story of Danny buying his own white paint has been mentioned in several books/periodicals.  The photo below shows 7818 at Aber prepared for the up CCE.

Ray.

BW60-10 7818 Aberystwyth 7.60.jpg

Edited by Marshall5
added photo
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 10/10/2022 at 11:45, tommyliam021 said:

Hi Ben is there any chance you know the shedcodes on the the second batch?

cheers

7821 - 84E - Tyseley

7822 - 84K - Chester

7817 - 84J - Croes Newydd (Wrexham)

7802 - 89C - Machynlleth

As for the painted features on 7802, most photos show white and nearly all of them have different combinations as @SteamingWales mentioned.  The buffers and dart are a definite and I quite like the painted hinges as well.

The photo I attached was one that I had bookmarked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 31/08/2022 at 15:49, coeurdelyon said:

Hi, As I understand the decoders are expected imminently, then we will start fitting, so should be in the shops towards the end of next month.

Thanks, Regards, Richard

Still no sign of the sound fitted versions?

• RMweb Gold

Accurascale will be using ESU decoders, Dapol currently use Zimo for factory sound. Will be very different lead times and Zimo seem to be having major stock shortages in general lately.

Edited by Kaput
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

TMC have a few of these (Torquay, Fringford, Hinton, Lydham & Draycott) in a 24hr sale, with several down to as low as £107.  I was waiting to see what the other one was like before I bought, but at that price I think I'll fold.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/12/2022 at 17:42, Henry 84F said:

Evening all, 

Apologies if I've missed this further back. Has anyone successfully removed a nameplate from one of these? How is it done? 

Thanks,

Henry

Yes. I've done it. The nameplate and the splasher front/beading are all in one piece of brass. You need to remove it, cut the nameplate off, clean up and refit the splasher front. Then you fit the new nameplate as you would on any other GWR loco. (CJL). 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Fyi ive used Fox nameplates for GWR locos in the past and found they came with nameplate and splasher, with an orange lining transfer.

Effect was pretty good.

The Fox plates have the nameplate and the green curved support plate but on the Dapol model the actual splasher front is also part of the nameplate. This picture should show what I mean. (CJL)

P1270692.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just received my, (checks over shoulder and lowers voice), Accurascale Manor. Beautiful.

Sadly they are sold out as I think I might want another.

Serious question; do I go for a Dapol one? I love my Dapol 63XX and 73XX Moguls, so I'm tempted.

Thanks

Phil

• Like 1

I've not got a accurascale one yet as my Bradley manor has not arrived but the Dapol one in my opinion is superb. From the pictures I've seen the accurascale one has pushed it even further with detail but I still feel the Dapol one is right up there. Mine runs superb.

Regards Neil 

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Serious question; do I go for a Dapol one?

Given there are some notable differences - boiler shape, green colour etc. I'd have thought there's a chance you are going to prefer one over the other, and I'd want two of that one, personally.

• Thanks 1