Manor Announced for 00

meatloaf

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Chris Phillips said:

I was going to buy one of the post-war GWR liveried versions, but I do not like the offset insignia treatment on the tender.  Apparently Dapol has made public some photos of prototype locos with this feature, but to me it just looks odd and will not buy one.  The BR liveried locos seem to all have the BR crest directly above the centre axlebox, which is how I like them.  In all my scores of GWR loco books, containing many hundreds of photographs, I have never seen a picture of the offset insignia.

I should address your letter of complaint to "The Chief Mechanical Engineer, Great Western Railway, Swindon". 🤣

CJI.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, Chris Phillips said:

Apparently Dapol has made public some photos of prototype locos with this feature, but to me it just looks odd and will not buy one. 

Yes, I shared the images in this topic. Their reproduction is correct. Your choice though but it seems daft that someone would prefer to buy it if they'd produced it incorrectly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chris Phillips said:

In all my scores of GWR loco books, containing many hundreds of photographs, I have never seen a picture of the offset insignia.

One was posted the last time someone claimed it was wrong. Mogul thread maybe?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Chris Phillips said:

Apparently Dapol has made public some photos of prototype locos with this feature, but to me it just looks odd and will not buy one. 

Although I've already replied I'm even more annoyed to find it was you who I responded to (after you posted in a fresh topic rather than the existing one.

I'm probably wasting my time twice over. Stupid me.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Although I've already replied I'm even more annoyed to find it was you who I responded to (after you posted in a fresh topic rather than the existing one.

I'm probably wasting my time twice over. Stupid me.

To make a pr*t of oneself on a subject is perhaps forgiveable - though research would avoid doing so.

To repeat one's foolishness, having been corrected with evidence, points to a p*g-headed disregard for the evidence of one's eyes!

I do hope that we are made party to the response from the esteemed CME of the GWR!

CJI.

PS. ..... he's a very silly boy!

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Bit more work on 7827. Now fitted with excellent Railtec 3D printed number plates,  smoke box number plate and shedcode plate. These certainly lift the appearance nicely.

Excellent service from Steve as always and well recommended.

Manor'isms

A blog entry will be appearing soon..

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/08/2022 at 12:50, B15nac said:

Has Any pictures of dinmore manor?

Kind regards Neil 

The post-lady has just delivered my Dinmore Manor but I'm tied up with work.  I'll try to grab some photos this evening.

6B5C5D6C-A810-4CBF-A14D-84C5EC4C8586.jpeg.f1d782edc7f526145e5a2c94414c9c6c.jpeg

Edited by Chris Chewter
Photo added
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Righto. Work done, now time to see what the post-lady actually delivered!

Not easy to see through the block of ice!

235AC71F-6239-4FB8-AAE5-AD5B2875E916.jpeg.1f0a3cfe120de1eb40d415d7c845843a.jpeg

But it looks the part out of the box.

028AF7E1-EB05-49EC-A7E7-C17E50C95F48.jpeg.9e883bc0f1b55d5534b7d2d5efcefd3e.jpeg

7F249DA5-CE28-4DE3-87DA-64525BC85C8C.jpeg.29ae754936c43152890f6427af06fe5d.jpeg

024ED568-C31D-4406-A2B9-140141D9F781.jpeg.3ebb28e1b0a4e347496b54abd396cd1c.jpeg

Although I would say, the safety valve bonnet is very shiny!

A429E25C-8440-4498-B265-FE316F88321D.jpeg.8ae9dc323a9a8954331a2130f1d529d9.jpeg

I don’t really need Dinmore Manor in my collection, but after spending an afternoon refitting the tender brakes, it had to be done!

2ECDE466-148E-4B8F-A22F-A3FACE21B364.jpeg.f2012307361207f73eb006a426192338.jpeg

And Dapol are apparently making a donation to the owning group apparently, which is also a good reason for the purchase.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Chris Chewter said:

Although I would say, the safety valve bonnet is very shiny!

Better to start that way, you can leave it as is as freshly polished, or dull it down from there to anywhere from a bit of patina to heavily weathered. Not something you can do with speckled "brass" paint.

• Agree 4

3 hours ago, Chris Chewter said:

If it helps, this is the side-by-side comparison with the original split chassis Bachmann manor from days gone by.

586E41DC-D41A-4E73-9854-70C0D4779D25.jpeg.4f605f7a410bbf4dde4d519d80d4e3f7.jpeg

A5D9CE8F-3195-4613-97F9-EE4C8AF7EA16.jpeg.4ca53fdfff0792c04edf9ba6007564ac.jpeg

28DEDC26-D8F4-4517-A0A1-0744B16A9B48.jpeg.79a756a468b10969b0414eba2cf551d3.jpeg

786A2536-79C1-41B8-B67E-8C39C74C0149.jpeg.f994232e7dc6e1b689792e8bdc187f69.jpeg

Just goes to show how good the Mainline version was for something that is well over 40 years old.

Can't think of anything made by the main opposition from that era that still stands up well compared to modern models.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

Finally got to see these in the flesh as it were at the South Devon Railway shop. I'm not a GWR aficionado but I am familiar with the Manors on the two lines local to me. To my eye Dapol have done a very good job indeed - no mistaking its a Manor and apart from the obviously too small smokebox number they've captured the all important 'face' to a tee. I'm not convinced that the firebox/boiler angle are 'wrong'  - they certainly dont appear as acute in the flesh as they do in photo's. Shame about the BR Green, very lifeless and in fact the latest Hornby A3 looked significantly more convincing. 

I actually have 7812 on order from Accurascale already but was sorely tempted by the BR Black version, I might yet succumb!

Great work @46444 - agree with all of your suggested improvements, really lifts the model. Interesting that Klear Coat has improved the BR green (though its still not quite right to my eye) and something Accurascale need to keep an eye on I think - too matt a rendition can make the colour appear washed out and also makes the other printing stand out if it has more gloss in it. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thought this might be of some interest as shows how the finish affects the appearance of the green - in this case on Dapols 7mm 14XX.

The tank sides have been buffed and appear richer. There is obviously some weathering on the boiler top and dome so that is less relevant but the matt patches on the tanks and cab have only had minimal weathering and it is mostly down to the different finish.

1570374570_DSC_3906(2).JPG.608ea671a8c0645952b672dc44538ee7.JPG

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

) and something Accurascale need to keep an eye on I think - too matt a rendition can make the colour appear washed out and also makes the other printing stand out if it has more gloss in it. 

Bear in mind also that the boiler, and footplate on the accurascale model is die-cast metal, which will also help.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/08/2022 at 12:59, Hal Nail said:

Thought this might be of some interest as shows how the finish affects the appearance of the green - in this case on Dapols 7mm 14XX.

The tank sides have been buffed and appear richer. There is obviously some weathering on the boiler top and dome so that is less relevant but the matt patches on the tanks and cab have only had minimal weathering and it is mostly down to the different finish.

1570374570_DSC_3906(2).JPG.608ea671a8c0645952b672dc44538ee7.JPG

Can you enlighten me how the tank sides were buffed, certainly makes a difference.

Thanks,   Graham 

• RMweb Gold
On 06/08/2022 at 13:27, PMP99 said:

I’m not going to try and do precise measurements, but from putting a rule and mini level across the top, I can confirm the top of the safety valves (just above the top of the bonnet) are the highest point on the loco.

Give or take, I would say the top of the cab roof, top of the safety valve bonnet and top of the capuchon are pretty much the same height.

On 06/08/2022 at 14:07, Miss Prism said:

manor-boiler-fittings.png.bc024d8b235be88c7feec5d9a2c2f0f6.png

I've run a ruler across mine, pretty much the cab roof, safety valve and top of chimney are level. I did have the bright idea of measuring the diameter of the boiler to check it is to scale (18.67mm at the smokebox and 21mm at the firebox according to GWR standard boilers – a beginners guide) and quickly got thwarted by the handrails. Rather than ripping them off I'm thinking about putting some thing "fingers" on the tips of my caliper.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, PMP99 said:

Can you enlighten me how the tank sides were buffed, certainly makes a difference.

Hi,

A technique i got from @Giles of this parish - can't remember where it is now but some lovely work on a Welsh Garrett in particular.

Very gentle use of 2000 grade wet and dry and a little spit, which forms a paste and gently smooths and flattens out the paint (matt is rough of course). Go up to but not over rivet detail using little circular movements until you get a totally even, flat looking paint finish. 

Then wash off and buff with kitchen roll and a tiny bit of brasso (I think duraglit is similar?).

I weather using thinned enamels - most black or grey as brown, I find, takes the green back to towards the olive colour. I immediately remove as much as i can, just leaving some which tends to stick on the matt parts round detail. I often end up repeating the buffing and weathering until I'm happy.

I'm starting to use powder more instead of enamels and those you can completely wash off if not happy. Unfortunately though, sealing them would mess up the sheen, so i just don't touch too often! 

Incidentally I have used this method to remove printed details as well and find it easier to control than using IPA or other solvents although none of them are foolproof!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Hi,

A technique i got from @Giles of this parish - can't remember where it is now but some lovely work on a Welsh Garrett in particular.

Very gentle use of 2000 grade wet and dry and a little spit, which forms a paste and gently smooths and flattens out the paint (matt is rough of course). Go up to but not over rivet detail using little circular movements until you get a totally even, flat looking paint finish. 

Then wash off and buff with kitchen roll and a tiny bit of brasso (I think duraglit is similar?).

I weather using thinned enamels - most black or grey as brown, I find, takes the green back to towards the olive colour. I immediately remove as much as i can, just leaving some which tends to stick on the matt parts round detail. I often end up repeating the buffing and weathering until I'm happy.

I'm starting to use powder more instead of enamels and those you can completely wash off if not happy. Unfortunately though, sealing them would mess up the sheen, so i just don't touch too often! 

Incidentally I have used this method to remove printed details as well and find it easier to control than using IPA or other solvents although none of them are foolproof!

Thanks for the explanation, certainly effective.

Graham

• Like 1