Manor Announced for 00

meatloaf

• RMweb Gold

I put Torquay Manor on the test track yesterday. Right off the bat, it set off at a slow crawl. Either direction running was exceptionally smooth and it didn't grumble at all using the ECM controller.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, 57xx said:

Grab some caffeine, you'll need it to stay awake.

Superb performance! To people who criticise an obsession with slow running, I would say that every locomotive starts gently, even if it sometimes stops with a bit of a jerk. If it can’t run slowly smoothly, then it starts with an unrealistic jerk. Even if a steamer slips, a jerk isn’t normally visible, even if imaginary tea is spilt.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well that didn't last long, whilst running it at a more normal pace to "run in" (not that it needs it) I noticed something odd. On inspection, the right side connecting rood has come loose from the wheel. and was just dangling whilst it trundled round the track.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 57xx said:

Well that didn't last long, whilst running it at a more normal pace to "run in" (not that it needs it) I noticed something odd. On inspection, the right side connecting rood has come loose from the wheel. and was just dangling whilst it trundled round the track.

That was a feature of my N gauge Forthampton Grange a few years ago…

• RMweb Premium

My Hook Norton Manor arrived today. Very impressed with the finish and detail. The boiler/firebox still looks wrong to me but I’m not watching it go around my layout at track level so I can live with it.
The tiny piece of detail that has to go under the boiler and sit in holes on both sides of the running board has done my head in. I tried for 45 minutes to get it in place but it just kept pinging away. Will have another go tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 09/08/2022 at 07:44, coeurdelyon said:

Hi,

Regarding 7810 in early B.R. lined livery, I have attached a picture we have used for making the livery sheets.

Thanks for your interest Regards, Richard

7810.jpg

Richard - not sure if you are the right person to ask, but do you know when the sound fitted models are likely to be in the shops ?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

My Fringford Manor was today fitted with a Dapol Next 18 decoder (not my preferred brand, but one the dealer stocked when I bought the loco) and given a try-out. The layout hadn't been run in much more than a month, yet the Manor started smoothly, ran at any speed I might ask (never very fast), and crawled as effectively as the 43xx I bought a while back. It pulled three Hawksworth coaches without issue. Returning to the start with a lot of cobwebs on the front, but otherwise unscathed.

The over-shiny dome (?) looks proper silly, but that apart it looks like a Manor. I saw several in BR service, most passing our Surrey school, so it is a class I have hoped to be able to buy. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

My Fringford Manor was today fitted with a Dapol Next 18 decoder (not my preferred brand, but one the dealer stocked when I bought the loco) and given a try-out. The layout hadn't been run in much more than a month, yet the Manor started smoothly, ran at any speed I might ask (never very fast), and crawled as effectively as the 43xx I bought a while back. It pulled three Hawksworth coaches without issue. Returning to the start with a lot of cobwebs on the front, but otherwise unscathed.

The over-shiny dome (?) looks proper silly, but that apart it looks like a Manor. I saw several in BR service, most passing our Surrey school, so it is a class I have hoped to be able to buy. 

The over shiny dome is a lot better after two coats of Testor's Dulcote, brushed on to the brass effect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

An ex GWR 4-6-0 with a dome? Whatever next? A copper capped chimney on a V2 perhaps??? 😉

Its a safety valve bonnet chaps! 

Ah, so it must have silk ribbons to tie it on with a pretty bow under the boiler. I'm beginning to get the hang of this GWR thing. 

Anyway it does make a difference to the excess shine on the bonnet, or is that the metal cover over an autocar engine.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

On 11/08/2022 at 02:20, Hal Nail said:

True. These are the two most comparable angles I have seen. Accura top, Dapol bottom

newmanor7_1200x1200.png.6876b39df0f6e4b32872b8eecff12f55.png

4S-001-001_202208041046_3561754_Qty1_1.jpg.32e4b51eca7ab966321b471399555c74.jpg

As somebody who isn't a big fan of GWR locos and wouldn't know if something was slightly the wrong shape just by looking at it, what absolutely leaps out about these two pictures is how good the rendition of BR loco green Accurascale's model is. Dapol's Brunswick green is just wrong. Having painted several full sized locos in my time I find it actually sad that Hornby and to a less extent Dapol just seem incapable of getting GWR and BR greens right.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, peteskitchen said:

As somebody who isn't a big fan of GWR locos and wouldn't know if something was slightly the wrong shape just by looking at it, what absolutely leaps out about these two pictures is how good the rendition of BR loco green Accurascale's model is. Dapol's Brunswick green is just wrong. Having painted several full sized locos in my time I find it actually sad that Hornby and to a less extent Dapol just seem incapable of getting GWR and BR greens right.

BR loco green should look different to pre-war GWR loco green, though... You need to compare models of the same era for colour comparisons to make sense.

• Agree 6

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

BR loco green should look different to pre-war GWR loco green, though... You need to compare models of the same era for colour comparisons to make sense.

Yes indeed. I should have made my self clearer. The Accurascale one is IMO perfect rendition of BR dark loco green, and the Dapol GWR Brunswick green is not great.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, peteskitchen said:

Yes indeed. I should have made my self clearer. The Accurascale one is IMO perfect rendition of BR dark loco green, and the Dapol GWR Brunswick green is not great.

Shhh!  I think you got away with it.

The green-police are out admiring the parched brown grass saying how wonderful it looks.

6 hours ago, peteskitchen said:

Sorry to be pedantic but there never was a "GWR Brunswick green".  This is a misnomer started and perpetuated by the enthusiast press.  The GWR colour was Middle Chrome Green and was adopted by B.R as, simply, loco green or, sometimes express loco. green.

Ray.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Marshall5 said:

Sorry to be pedantic but there never was a "GWR Brunswick green".  This is a misnomer started and perpetuated by the enthusiast press.  The GWR colour was Middle Chrome Green and was adopted by B.R as, simply, loco green or, sometimes express loco. green.

Ray.

Whilst I make no claim as to its accuracy gwr.org.uk states.

many refer to GWR Locomotive Green as Middle Chrome Green. This is not actually correct. Middle Chrome Green was the pigment colour used to make the GWR Locomotive Green

Graham 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, PMP99 said:

Whilst I make no claim as to its accuracy gwr.org.uk states.

many refer to GWR Locomotive Green as Middle Chrome Green. This is not actually correct. Middle Chrome Green was the pigment colour used to make the GWR Locomotive Green

That is part of a quote from Bob Shephard. As the former owner of Precision Paints, I have great respect for his views. However, he made some remarks that need clarification in my view. In particular, he held some strange views on the question of the 'reds'.

I have not been able to contact him.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You will need to consult the RAL charts, but chrome green 'should' be RAL 6001 or RAL 6002. The green will depend on undercoat, and the paint mixture.  Is it clean, or highly polished? What was the undercoat? As chrome is an alloy, its constituent parts can vary according to mixture and give rise to some (honest) confusion. Chrome green at alloying, is quite near to 6018 to 6038.  Because it's an exothermic production, variables such as ambient temperature and humidity come into play, and,  feed rate into the process.  We made thousands of tons of the stuff in the foundry; a highly dangerous & toxic process. 

Beating up the manufacturers over colour won't help them at all. The variances over chrome green is significant. Brunswick would be 6016 to 6028. Once again, it varies. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1