Manor Announced for 00

meatloaf

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, B15nac said:

I've not got a accurascale one yet as my Bradley manor has not arrived but the Dapol one in my opinion is superb. From the pictures I've seen the accurascale one has pushed it even further with detail but I still feel the Dapol one is right up there. Mine runs superb.

Regards Neil 

2 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Given there are some notable differences - boiler shape, green colour etc. I'd have thought there's a chance you are going to prefer one over the other, and I'd want two of that one, personally.

Thanks chaps. I'll hold fire then and the Dapol range on their site hasn't got one of my era as far as I can see.

I really don't need two!

Neil you will be blown away by your awaited Engine.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

For what it’s worth and in a nutshell. The Dapol seems more robust, the Accurascale seems better in appearance and a little better in detail but the Dapol sound project is far better than the Accurascale one.

I would add that Accurascales BR Green is a much better rendition than Dapols,  less difference between each manufacturers GWR livery. Interesting comparison photos on the Accurascale thread posted by @AY Mod

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, No Decorum said:

For what it’s worth and in a nutshell. The Dapol seems more robust, the Accurascale seems better in appearance and a little better in detail but the Dapol sound project is far better than the Accurascale one.

Is that down to the size of speakers? Or just the recorded detail?

Thanks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Is that down to the size of speakers? Or just the recorded detail?

Thanks.

1. I think it’s down to the dual speaker system. The big speaker in the tender produces a fuller sound. The Accurascale sounds a bit tinny in comparison.

2. There are more recorded details, resulting in more options.

3. The sounds are better integrated into the performance. As the loco starts, the chuffs are heavy. When it reaches the set speed, they become lighter and they fade away as the loco decelerates. As it comes to a stop, the brakes groan loudly as they bind.  The “pffft, pfft” of the vacuum pump is audible throughout but becomes very prominent once the beats quieten. This is all automatic, leaving you free to mess around with other sound features, such as coal shovelling and whistles.

I hope both manufacturers buy and examine the rival product. Each has a lot to learn from the other, although both models are good. In fairness, I should point out that Dapol’s premium for sound is greater than Accurascale’s and Bachmann  (thinking particularly of the WD) produces excellent sound projects but for a lower premium.

Edited by No Decorum
Spelling.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

1. I think it’s down to the dual speaker system. The big speaker in the tender produces a fuller sound. The Accurascale sounds a bit tinny in camparison.

3. The sounds are better integrated into the performance. As the loco starts, the chuffs are heavy. When it reaches the set speed, they become lighter and they fade away as the loco decelerates. As it comes to a stop, the brakes groan loudly as they bind.  The “pffft, pfft” of the vacuum pump is audible throughout but becomes very prominent once the beats quieten. This is all automatic, leaving you free to mess around with other sound features, such as coal shovelling and whistles.

I hope both manufacturers buy and examine the rival product. Each has a lot to learn from the other, although both models are good. In fairness, I should point out that Dapol’s premium for sound is greater than Accurascale’s and Bachmann  (thinking particularly of the WD) produces excellent sound projects but for a lower premium.

Disagree that the sound is remotely 'tinny'. The Accurascale Manor has twin speakers and I'm struck by how well they make the sound come from the the locomotive rather than the tender which is the case with the majority of factory fitted sound set ups. The Accurascale project is very good indeed, the model moves off and stops very realistically and makes all the expected noises of a Manor. I by default normally prefer a Zimo chip to an ESU but the Accurascale Manor project is very good indeed in my opinion. The chuffs do vary and can be selected as Light engine, normal load, heavy load though I do think the volume of the chuff could be louder - not quite getting that Manor bark yet. 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

1. I think it’s down to the dual speaker system. The big speaker in the tender produces a fuller sound. The Accurascale sounds a bit tinny in camparison.

Thanks for this, I have no experience of the Dapol sound for the Manor, a direct comparison is good to be able to do.

21 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Disagree that the sound is remotely 'tinny'. The Accurascale Manor has twin speakers and I'm struck by how well they make the sound come from the the locomotive rather than the tender which is the case with the majority of factory fitted sound set ups. The Accurascale project is very good indeed, the model moves off and stops very realistically and makes all the expected noises of a Manor. I by default normally prefer a Zimo chip to an ESU but the Accurascale Manor project is very good indeed in my opinion. The chuffs do vary and can be selected as Light engine, normal load, heavy load though I do think the volume of the chuff could be louder - not quite getting that Manor bark yet. 

Thanks Mike, 

I don’t have my A/s sound fitted Manor yet as I’m on holiday. However a friend who has received theirs (A/s Manor) has made the same comments as @No Decorum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, B15nac said:

Great to hear. Bradley manor for me. Hopefully better QC than both my accurascale ones that I've had to return unfortunately.

Regards Neil 

i notice that Bradley Manor has white bufferheads and white smokebox door lock -  was this for Royal train duty or was it a general MCH shed thing?

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, GeoffBird said:

i notice that Bradley Manor has white bufferheads and white smokebox door lock -  was this for Royal train duty or was it a general MCH shed thing?

As applied at Aberystwyth by Danny Rowlands cleaners …. Hence known as “Danny’s Bull”

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I had an exchange with Dapol who confirmed they are producing Foxcote Manor in original condition rather than 'as preserved' (among other things, red name and number plates) which I feel is an opportunity missed as many know the loco from its many runouts on heritage railways.

That said, what made me chuckle was the phrase used by the member of staff, who said it was being finished 'as it was in real life'...!

David 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Grafarman said:

I had an exchange with Dapol who confirmed they are producing Foxcote Manor in original condition rather than 'as preserved' (among other things, red name and number plates) which I feel is an opportunity missed as many know the loco from its many runouts on heritage railways.

That said, what made me chuckle was the phrase used by the member of staff, who said it was being finished 'as it was in real life'...!

David 

With the shade of green being used, I fear the only accurate one was 7828 Odney Manor as originally preserved in 1990.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well I caved. DC Supplies had graded Manors at £80 a pop, so I've just been running in Lydham and Hook Norton Manors around my set track loop. This loop has never been cleaned since purchase some 7 years ago, yet Lydham ran faulessly and after initially presenting a strange stumble so did Hook Norton. The stumble was odd, It ran perfectly in reverse, but forward it would pick a section of track to cut out as if it had been suddenly grabbed. I'm not sure what the cause was, but after picking it up and turning it to face the other way it started behaving as flawlessly as Lydham. I look forward to adding Hinton and Foxcote to the stud as funds and releases allow. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

Well I caved. DC Supplies had graded Manors at £80 a pop, so I've just been running in Lydham and Hook Norton Manors around my set track loop. This loop has never been cleaned since purchase some 7 years ago, yet Lydham ran faulessly and after initially presenting a strange stumble so did Hook Norton. The stumble was odd, It ran perfectly in reverse, but forward it would pick a section of track to cut out as if it had been suddenly grabbed. I'm not sure what the cause was, but after picking it up and turning it to face the other way it started behaving as flawlessly as Lydham. I look forward to adding Hinton and Foxcote to the stud as funds and releases allow. 

£80 is an absolute bloody bargain for the Dapol Manor. It is a very good model IMO, and stands up very well to "the other version" which had, IMO, rather a bit too much fawning over. Not that the other one was bad, it was also very good with it's own foibles, but some people overdo the partisanship thing.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, 57xx said:

... some people overdo the partisanship thing.

Partisanship .... or trust?

Dapol have form for silly errors - GWR smokebox doors with BR numberplates?

CJI.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

19 minutes ago, 57xx said:

£80 is an absolute bloody bargain for the Dapol Manor. It is a very good model IMO, and stands up very well to "the other version" which had, IMO, rather a bit too much fawning over. Not that the other one was bad, it was also very good with it's own foibles, but some people overdo the partisanship thing.

Indeed, and some things just don't look right to me on theirs either. OK there are things that don't quite look right on the Dapol ones too, but on balance they bother me less/are within my skill set to fix. 

• Agree 1

Looking at the picture of Bradley manor is the tender livery correct with the fender lined out? I don't think it is. 

Regards Neil 

Screenshot_20240210-235915~2.png

Edited by B15nac
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, B15nac said:

Looking at the picture of Bradley manor is the tender livery correct with the fender lined out? I don't think it is. 

Regards Neil 

Screenshot_20240210-235915~2.png

This is the colour version of the photo which the tram from Dapol stated on here they were basing the model on. Appears to be no lining on the tender from what I can see (though they may be using a different photo for reference now)

IMG-20231023-WA0058.jpg.e70b2b5816a392b263ecc4da2aa26874.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

This is the colour version of the photo which the tram from Dapol stated on here they were basing the model on. Appears to be no lining on the tender from what I can see (though they may be using a different photo for reference now)

IMG-20231023-WA0058.jpg.e70b2b5816a392b263ecc4da2aa26874.jpg

There's lining on the tender, but not the tender fender.