Show us yours - Realistic modelling

AY Mod

13 hours ago, Karl said:

Another load of waste slate is taken away from Coronation Gallery by Elidir.

Coronation-Gallery-Elidir-shunt.jpg

Nice setting - it might look even better if those wagon wheel pinpoints were dremmeled down the wheels blackened. Curly spoke wheels are another approach to give that quarry look. 

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Dunalastair said:

Nice setting - it might look even better if those wagon wheel pinpoints were dremmeled down the wheels blackened. Curly spoke wheels are another approach to give that quarry look. 

I have been intending to weather down the wheels just keep forgetting but it hadn't occurred to me to grind the points down. Nice idea thanks! The kits do come with resin double flanged wheels but they don't run that well so swapping in and out for photos I could damage the axles. But the weathering and removing the points will be an improvement I agree.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Karl said:

I have been intending to weather down the wheels just keep forgetting but it hadn't occurred to me to grind the points down. Nice idea thanks! The kits do come with resin double flanged wheels but they don't run that well so swapping in and out for photos I could damage the axles. But the weathering and removing the points will be an improvement I agree.

I ground down the wheel points on some 3D printed NG quarry wagons I bought a while ago. I was rather dreading the job, but it proved easier than I was expecting - though that might depend on how hard the axle metal is. It improved the look of the inside axle box wagons no end, but has left me sensitive to photographs of wagons with visible shiny points. Blackening them would probably be almost as effective.

Of course, it might be that the quarry owner has taken a leaf out of Boudicca's chariot design pattern book and is using the pointy axles to intimidate striking quarry workers ...

• RMweb Premium

Another local class now on the deadline never to work again

This was copied from the photo files as the original was lost here from the layout thread along with a lot more when the site was changed a few years ago.

D11.262690TheLadyoftheLakeatrest-Copy.JPG.f2e3e0dbdc8e8e18290be94a8b5e3d68.JPG

• Like 16