Heljan announce Class 104 DMU in OO gauge

AY Mod

NEM coupling pockets, so allowing the end user to fit the coupling that suits them.

Selling blue Class 104 vehicles individually would also be helpful to those modellers that want to replicate typical mixed formations that were the norm in their later lives.

Brian.

• Agree 1

• Tempfix
On 16/08/2022 at 20:37, GordonC said:

I wasn't being specific about what should interwork and what shouldn't, there were plenty of hybrids all around the country. But I just hope we dont see different methods of couplings from each of the manufacturers. At the moment, the Bachmann 117 with its big box connector wouldn't have been seen operating too often with the shorter Class 101, 105, 108, 110s we have models of but the 104 definitely would have.

I have a large number of NSE units of various type and origins. For flexibility I just fit every vehicle with pickups and a chip - that way I can run any combination. Not as expensive as it sounds as most have room to fit a cheaper or older chip, or one that has part blown and still works for lights or some such. My memory of the Thames line from the mid 80s onwards was that pretty much any combo went as long as there were cabs at the outer ends.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Tempfix

Just noticed on another update email via Gaugemaster that this is still 'awaiting improved samples'. Thinking on it - can anyone remember any other recent release that has been sent back for a second engineering sample? I had a good look at the first one at the DEMU show last summer. It looked very good, but I assume there must have been something found quite wrong if they've gone back to get a second one before starting production? Purely speculation, I just can't remember anything else needing a second sample.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Rich Papper said:

It looked very good, but I assume there must have been something found quite wrong if they've gone back to get a second one before starting production? Purely speculation, I just can't remember anything else needing a second sample.

I seem to remember a Hornby magazine update video a couple of months back where Ben from Heljan was talking to Mike Wild about forthcoming models.  Apparently it's almost perfect but they weren't completely happy with one of the bogies, which was dragging(?) slightly under test - and I think it was this that was delaying final decorated samples, he mentioned late summer for release.  Better that any niggles are ironed out I guess, it does look like a superb model.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Solo said:

I seem to remember a Hornby magazine update video a couple of months back where Ben from Heljan was talking to Mike Wild about forthcoming models.  Apparently it's almost perfect but they weren't completely happy with one of the bogies, which was dragging(?) slightly under test - and I think it was this that was delaying final decorated samples, he mentioned late summer for release.  Better that any niggles are ironed out I guess, it does look like a superb model.

Which could mean slight tweaking of the bogie tooling or even nothing more than further samples from the current tooling to check whether it was a manufacturing issue. It doesn't have to mean a major retooling with consequential delays. As Solo says, better to get the issue sorted now.

14 hours ago, Rich Papper said:

Just noticed on another update email via Gaugemaster that this is still 'awaiting improved samples'. Thinking on it - can anyone remember any other recent release that has been sent back for a second engineering sample? I had a good look at the first one at the DEMU show last summer. It looked very good, but I assume there must have been something found quite wrong if they've gone back to get a second one before starting production? Purely speculation, I just can't remember anything else needing a second sample.

would it mean 'painted' samples rather than a revised engineering sample? I'd doubt there would be anything major wrong with it or if there was I'm not convinced Heljan would retool ... they haven't in the past where issues were pointed out during development

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I don’t suppose you managed to glean any information about the Gresley O2s, did you?

Sorry didn’t ask . There was a constant procession to see Ben on the Friday . I didn’t like to interrupt 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Judging by the photos, they seem to have solved the perennial problem of how to achieve an authentic close coupling whilst having electrical continuity between the cars.  The interior seating is looking very fine.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

Hatton now advise Q2 2024 - i.e. between April and June....

Oh well, more time to save up, then...

I do feel somewhat for Heljan; they must be having some really serious manufacturing problems as virtually all of their models are suffering huge delays. At the end of last year, this model was slated for this summer, so another year on top of that is rather extreme. The shame of it is that a lot of these 4mm models are potential game-changers in rehabilitating Heljan's mixed reputation in recent years. Their latest O gauge releases show that the company is capable of producing excellent stuff. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1