Hunslet 16" 0-6-0 Saddle Tank - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold

I currently have my ' Arthur' on my rolling road and its running very smoothly and slowly.

It has had quite a few hours running in on my test circuit around the shed. It would stall on an Atlas turnout that deliberately doesn't have the frog wired up. If locos get through this turnout then they are 'good to go'.

At first the loco would go through this turnout but it also started to get a bit lumpy on plain track. It reminds me how the Dapol class 73 performed till I added extra pick ups to that loco.

I took the chassis plate off 'Arthur', cleaned all the bearings from the grease then added the tiniest bit of electrolube to each bearing and gave the loco another hour or so running in.

I am currently happy with its performance and can start weathering it. As mine  has a decoder, I may add a stay alive / current keeper.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ruston said:

I think it's dirty enough now.

DSCF9937.JPG.8efd632a259a1898a5892acee5a4c6d3.JPG

The driver figure, oil can and plastic oil container are from Hardy's Hobbies.

You've ruined a valuable collectable!!!!! 😉

Love the footplate decoration - looks superb.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

16 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Lovely job, Dave, really convincing.

Are you going to tell me again that no air brushes were disturbed from their slumbers for these two jobs? 😉

They were shaken out of their hammocks, Cap'n, but only for the tops of the tanks/cab roof as a base for other effects.

• Like 5

On 08/02/2023 at 16:00, franciswilliamwebb said:

I've just been watching the above Digitrains video/advert (no connection, etc, etc) and the running looks excellent.

That's my engine.  Waste of time me posting a pic, then....

Same engine before it went to Lincoln.

20230201_115450.jpg.4814535640eac394b92a2d28e2ac3b99.jpg

The latest addition to stock for NO PLACE.  Only two more new engines coming now to fill the roster (unless someone makes an 0-6-0 I really fancy).  I will at some time add etched nameplates but it is for the preservation side of the layout so will remain basically very clean, unlike the mongrel to the right which is a Dapol body on a Hornby chassis with a flowerpot chimney by I think Brassmasters.  Filthy locos work the colliery, clean ones the passenger.

Les

• Like 2

On 08/02/2023 at 18:44, Ruston said:

A friend wanted his Hunslet weathering to look like a colliery engine that is "on its last legs".

DSCF9943.JPG.769c27b70f0e055a844ea630ad9a551a.JPG

There were a lot that ran like that for years and years.  Obviously not a very hard worker as at places that thrashed their engines the front end of the loco was thick with soot and the livery became more apparent the further you got from the chimney.

Les

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Lots of troublesome trucks there, I see, to egg you on?

32 to be exact including some internal wooden wagons and it’s not really enough! 22 assorted 16 tonners barely makes two trains judging by the various videos. The Austerities are shown top n tailing on 15 wagons on a video I was watching on a 1 in 50. Scarily to even do a small colliery you need four sets really!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

Our Hunslet unboxed and looking at home on Inchyra Paper Mill - detailing and running in now needed ready for its show debut next weekend at RISEX 2023, Princes Risborough 

450AC941-E232-4FA3-88CA-7368327D2FC4.jpeg.49e62f0dddd89174766821621de5a76e.jpeg

9A47618D-83B6-4399-A336-DC31FD50908C.jpeg.776409173aee1419b6e805c59a0e53a6.jpeg

I ended up caving in and getting a Beatrice too.....

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Well, I hadn’t originally planned to buy this loco, I’ve got two now (Jacks Green & Beatrice) ! 🙄

Both very smooth runners and I particularly like how the cab glazing has been fitted, no nasty

one piece plastic glazing bars here !

If I was being (very) picky, I would have liked etched name plates and brass safety valves/whistles,

but for the very reasonable price these are selling for can always pick these up else where.

All bodes well for future models.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

Our Hunslet unboxed and looking at home on Inchyra Paper Mill - detailing and running in now needed ready for its show debut next weekend at RISEX 2023, Princes Risborough 

450AC941-E232-4FA3-88CA-7368327D2FC4.jpeg.49e62f0dddd89174766821621de5a76e.jpeg

9A47618D-83B6-4399-A336-DC31FD50908C.jpeg.776409173aee1419b6e805c59a0e53a6.jpeg

Lovely setting. B looks very much at home. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, enginelane said:

Sadly mine seems to fall into the not running smoothly group. Another session on the rollers beckons 

On Rollers whole of Ireland v France. Tried out on layout. Runs very well through points but then stops for no reason whereas the Peckitt sails through. Tested with meter and no dead spots or voltage drops, cleaned rail and wheels. How does it pick up?

6 hours ago, enginelane said:

On Rollers whole of Ireland v France. Tried out on layout. Runs very well through points but then stops for no reason whereas the Peckitt sails through. Tested with meter and no dead spots or voltage drops, cleaned rail and wheels. How does it pick up?

Split chassis so it is through the axleboxes