Hornby 2021 - Ruston & Hornsby 88DS

AY Mod

2 hours ago, Ruston said:

Mine's ready for service.

Chassis block chopped, sound and Stay Alive fitted and, of course, a repaint. It's just a shame that I ordered the sound gear on Thursday, before the 88DS project was available. It's got what was the nearest thing in the 16DS project but I'll get it reblown with the 88DS project in the New Year.

DSCF0541.JPG.1b1583f6fbff719e7ef2edc400b44442.JPG

I'm sure this will be the first of many.

do i spot a silencer, i also felt the digitrains sound sounds a little...off not sure why

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 07/12/2023 at 15:59, cctransuk said:

DEPARTMENTALWR20_01.jpg.3caa682bdf5f96e4ac5a882ff51a6073.jpg

Nearly there with my version of this - just the transfers to add.

Having fitted Hornby Dublo / Peco Simplex couplers, I ran it in the sidings for the first time today.

Virtually silent; very smooth running; and quite up to a rake of eleven Oxford ICI bogie hoppers plus a brakevan.

Nice one, Hornby!

CJI.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Having fitted Hornby Dublo / Peco Simplex couplers, I ran it in the sidings for the first time today.

Virtually silent; very smooth running; and quite up to a rake of eleven Oxford ICI bogie hoppers plus a brakevan.

Nice one, Hornby!

CJI.

Crikey, that's an impressive load for a tiny loco, nice one Hornby indeed 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Crikey, that's an impressive load for a tiny loco, nice one Hornby indeed 

The hoppers are, as such things go, quite light and free-running.

Nonetheless, I am very impressed - this model will certainly handle anything that the prototype did.

CJI.

• Like 1

Picked mine up yesterday, it had a run on the Frizinghall Models test track. Glad I didn't cancel my pre-order, it's a lovely little model :)

I really don't need another project at the moment, but a little shunting plank is a-calling...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ruston said:

Mine's ready for service.

Chassis block chopped, sound and Stay Alive fitted and, of course, a repaint. It's just a shame that I ordered the sound gear on Thursday, before the 88DS project was available. It's got what was the nearest thing in the 16DS project but I'll get it reblown with the 88DS project in the New Year.

DSCF0541.JPG.1b1583f6fbff719e7ef2edc400b44442.JPG

I'm sure this will be the first of many.

How/where did you manage to fit the stay alive? 

I’m considering using a Zen decoder and stay alive in mine so any insight into your process would be great

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JhornG201 said:

How/where did you manage to fit the stay alive? 

I’m considering using a Zen decoder and stay alive in mine so any insight into your process would be great

Speaker and SA in the cab.

20231209_162229.jpg.6b8b907c8a1dad85d7dded8c1f65c236.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/12/2023 at 21:26, cctransuk said:

Nice one, Hornby!

CJI.

Well, it's finished - for now!

20231212_144830.jpg.0da35fe1d86dd86944a193d7e20ad522.jpg

20231212_144843.jpg.f528e5412bd930a09947b11df18b6e98.jpg

Unfortunately, I have discovered that the paint applied by the factory does NOT like Phoenix Precision Satin Black being applied over it. The finish somewhat resembles the 'crackle' paint used by Hornby Dublo for its controllers!

This is not a total disaster, as I would imagine that No.20, living as it did under a bridge, did not have a flawless finish. Nonetheless, I wish now that I had been able to dismantle the glued body construction and strip the factory paint.

If the crazing ultimately drives me crazy, I may well have another go at a strip-down / repaint.

As to performance, though; this is impeccable! No. 20 made child's-play of a STARFISH, a GRAMPUS, a pair of WARWELLs, a pair of SALMON, a pair of BORAILS, a STURGEON A and a pillbox brakevan.

Ideal for the S&T / PW yard shunter!

John Isherwood.

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Unfortunately, I have discovered that the paint applied by the factory does NOT like Phoenix Precision Satin Black being applied over it. The finish somewhat resembles the 'crackle' paint used by Hornby Dublo for its controllers!

If the crazing ultimately drives me crazy, I may well have another go at a strip-down / repaint.

John Isherwood.

This is a common occurrence sometimes with many factory applied finishes (not just Hornby but also Bachmann etc.) when over painting directly with a top coat (including Precision and Halfords) to prevent this I always give a quick light dusting with Halfords plastic primer from a rattle can as this does not cause the reaction and acts as a good base for the top coat. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

This is a common occurrence sometimes with many factory applied finishes (not just Hornby but also Bachmann etc.) when over painting directly with a top coat (including Precision and Halfords) to prevent this I always give a quick light dusting with Halfords plastic primer from a rattle can as this does not cause the reaction and acts as a good base for the top coat. 

Thanks for that - I've been repainting RTR models for over sixty years, and never had this happen before.

I think that I will have to bite the bullet, and follow Ruston's example of applying sufficient force to crack the glue assembly, prior to disassembling and stripping the paint.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

54 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

This is not a total disaster, as I would imagine that No.20, living as it did under a bridge, did not have a flawless finish. Nonetheless, I wish now that I had been able to dismantle the glued body construction and strip the factory paint.

As to performance, though; this is impeccable! No. 20 made child's-play of a STARFISH, a GRAMPUS, a pair of WARWELLs, a pair of SALMON, a pair of BORAILS, a STURGEON A and a pillbox brakevan.

Ideal for the S&T / PW yard shunter!

John Isherwood.

That would be a great finish for extremely weathered and peeling paint! It's just a shame that's not what you intended.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2023 at 16:04, cctransuk said:

Thanks for that - I've been repainting RTR models for over sixty years, and never had this happen before.

I think that I will have to bite the bullet, and follow Ruston's example of applying sufficient force to crack the glue assembly, prior to disassembling and stripping the paint.

John Isherwood.

Could you convince yourself that rust has got hold under the paint and caused it to bubble up? It’s very disappointing to have this happen after so much trouble and such a good job otherwise. My little one runs impeccably without the match truck over large radius Code 100 Electrofrog points. A superb job by Hornby.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 16:04, cctransuk said:

Forty-five years in my case - basically ever since Mainline, Airfix and Lima presented us with painted finishes in the late 1970s, forcing Hornby to do the same - and I've never seen anything like this either. I usually gave worked-on bodyshells a going-over with Cif and a toothbrush but only bothered stripping the factory finish and applying Halfords primer if I thought it was strictly necessary - lots of etched parts fitted for example. Rather than use primer to show up flaws I used reflected light. Worked for me.

I haven't repainted any recent models but your experience raises a red flag if I ever do so (unlikely now TBH). I couldn't live with that crackle finish and would have to find a way to strip without damage (hopefully), prime as @Graham_Muz suggests this time and repaint. At least it's plain black with minimal markings - could have been worse!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/12/2023 at 15:08, cctransuk said:

Unfortunately, I have discovered that the paint applied by the factory does NOT like Phoenix Precision Satin Black being applied over it.

On 12/12/2023 at 15:08, cctransuk said:

It drove me crazy!

Judiciously applied brute force, and the surgical application of a D-shaped scalpel blade, has reduced the body to its component parts.

Those parts with the unintended black crackle finish are now in a sealed polybag, luxuriating in a bath of Mr. Muscle oven cleaner (yukky smell - goes straight to my chest)!

Tomorrow will reveal whether we have bare plastic, on which to recommence painting.

Fortunately, I always print too many transfers - in case of application errors - so there are plenty left for the second attempt.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 16/12/2023 at 15:23, cctransuk said:

Those parts with the unintended black crackle finish are now in a sealed polybag, luxuriating in a bath of Mr. Muscle oven cleaner (yukky smell - goes straight to my chest)!

Tomorrow will reveal whether we have bare plastic, on which to recommence painting.

...... and the answer was 'No'!

Mr. Muscle removed all traces of the black overpaint, but Hornby's rail blue and yellow remained perfectly intact!

So - off to Halfords for their Plastic Primer, as recommended above by Graham Muz. A light coat of the primer was applied and, guess what - it immediately crazed on the cab, but not elsewhere.

A little investigation with a scalpel blade revealed that the cab is a mazak casting, so I threw caution to the wind, detached all the plastic lamp irons, etc., and dunked the casting in cellulose thinners.

Off came the plastic primer; off came the rail blue, to reveal even more paint - this time BLACK! The black could only be removed with the aid of brass and fibreglass scratch brushes.

Subsequent investigation has shown that the entire model was originally finished in black, and has subsequently been overpainted in the rail blue and yellow livery it is supplied in. What the story behind this is we will never know, but it might explain the delay in releasing this model.

Anyway, to cut a long and frustrating story short, the components are now drying overnight, having been sprayed with Halfords satin black, and the cab interior and bufferbeams undercoated in brush-applied cream / buff.

If you are considering repainting your Hornby 88DS  - DON'T!! Hornby have clearly used some very odd paint on this model, which dislikes all other paints known to mankind.

Just be patient, wait for Hornby to release the model in black, and don't even think of taking a paintbrush anywhere near it!

Seriously, though - it is worrying that Hornby now seem to be using a finish that will make repaints - using oil-based paints at least - far more problematic.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Informative/Useful 7

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

If you are considering repainting your Hornby 88DS  - DON'T!! Hornby have clearly used some very odd paint on this model, which dislikes all other paints known to mankind.

I painted mine with no problem at all. I gave it a wipe over with some Tamiya thinners before painting. Once the thinners had dried off I sprayed and brushed Tamiya acrylics. No problem whatsoever.

Time to drag yourself kicking and screaming into the 21st Century, John? 😉 Use acrylics instead of smelly old enamels.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ruston said:

I painted mine with no problem at all. I gave it a wipe over with some Tamiya thinners before painting. Once the thinners had dried off I sprayed and brushed Tamiya acrylics. No problem whatsoever.

Time to drag yourself kicking and screaming into the 21st Century, John? 😉 Use acrylics instead of smelly old enamels.

'Fraid not - tried 'em when they first came out and didn't like them at all.

The chances of me needing to do a similar repaint in future are very low, so I'll stick with what I've been doing for sixty-plus years!

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

'Fraid not - tried 'em when they first came out and didn't like them at all.

The chances of me needing to do a similar repaint in future are very low, so I'll stick with what I've been doing for sixty-plus years!

John Isherwood.

Acrylics are now a lot different to when they first came out. The only problem is that some are water based (Humbrol) and some are alcohol based (Tamiya) and the two types don't mix.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looking through the 2024 Announcements, and specifically at the list of previously announced products, two 88DS locomotives caught my eye. I don’t recall seeing these announced before, and can’t seem to find any mention anywhere. RM doesn’t have any results, neither just looking through the 2023 diesel thread. Google result only comes up with two hidden results on Rainbow Railways site, with no artwork, but from 2023 announcement. Hattons product database has no mention of these either. 

R30014 GWR, Ruston and Hornsby 88DS, 0-4-0, D1 - Era 3

R30017 BR, Ruston and Hornsby 88DS, 0-4-0, D2959 - Era 4 

Attached is the first image of the list that was posted by Andy on the Hornby 2024 Announcement thread. 

If I missed something, I apologize. 

IMG_2560.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ribird said:

Looking through the 2024 Announcements, and specifically at the list of previously announced products, two 88DS locomotives caught my eye. I don’t recall seeing these announced before, and can’t seem to find any mention anywhere. RM doesn’t have any results, neither just looking through the 2023 diesel thread. Google result only comes up with two hidden results on Rainbow Railways site, with no artwork, but from 2023 announcement. Hattons product database has no mention of these either. 

R30014 GWR, Ruston and Hornsby 88DS, 0-4-0, D1 - Era 3

R30017 BR, Ruston and Hornsby 88DS, 0-4-0, D2959 - Era 4 

Attached is the first image of the list that was posted by Andy on the Hornby 2024 Announcement thread. 

If I missed something, I apologize. 

Is it April the 1st? No, but someone's playing silly b*****s. I've never heard of the GWR owning an 88DS and the works list doesn't show one as being built for them either.

As far as I know, BR never had a D2959 and if they did, it would have followed on from D2957 and D2958, which were Ruston 165s.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1