Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 2021 - P2 new tooling

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

Mine is on its way. Strangely, Hornby  still describe these as having lit head codes, while the pictures show them without. 

Mine arrived. Ran fine. Filled up the water. Ran again. No “steam”

Rang Hornby technical. Reset decoder, reloaded sound profile. Still no “steam”.

The manual doesn’t say it but the loco needs to have F1 on for steam as well as sound.

Rang them back, new suggestion from workshop is to run it for 5 mins as reports that it takes that long to start with. (I can only imagine that’s for water to soak into a sponge type thing as the ultrasonic bit should be instantaneous).

Ran for 20 mins. Nothing. Sucked water back out and going back in the morning. 100% record for Hornby on new locos the last 12 months! Grrr.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Just a quick note to anyone having trouble with the steam not working out of the box. 

When filling the reservoir with water for the first time, add 5ml. If no steam is emitted after a running test and activating F1, then add another 5ml to the reservoir.

This is due to the reservoir wick being supplied dry from the factory. The wick will require an extra amount of water when using the steam function for the first time. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, Watto1990 said:

For what it’s worth so far I’ve had no issues with mine (once I worked out I needed to have F1 on!) and I think it looks the absolute business. 

That looks and sounds like a two-cylinder loco. If Hornby is depending on a perforated disc on one of the axles to synchronise the sound of the beats to the rotation of the wheels, that’s going to be difficult to fix.

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

That looks and sounds like a two-cylinder loco. If Hornby is depending on a perforated disc on one of the axles to synchronise the sound of the beats to the rotation of the wheels, that’s going to be difficult to fix.

Looks to me like there are exactly 6 beats each time the wheels go around, and the sound sounds like it's looping every six too. There is a strange accentuation though, like one two three four five six, which I agree does sound a bit two-cylindery. Maybe Hornby knows something we don't and this is what it would sound like with the rotary gear? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdamOrmorod said:

Looks to me like there are exactly 6 beats each time the wheels go around, and the sound sounds like it's looping every six too. There is a strange accentuation though, like one two three four five six, which I agree does sound a bit two-cylindery. Maybe Hornby knows something we don't and this is what it would sound like with the rotary gear? 🤷‍♂️

Looking again, I think you’re right. On reflection, I don’t know how I came to my initial conclusion. My humble apologies to Watto1990 and Hornby. Gresley’s three-cylinder locos often seemed to have an odd beat, caused by having to raise the middle cylinder so that the con rod cleared the leading driving axle.

• Like 4

While I'm not personally that interested in sound and smoke, it is great to see that they've put effort in to getting the synchronisation working. Whenever I see a sound loco, without thinking I automatically find myself comparing the chuffs to the wheel rotation, can't help it!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived yesterday, having had a good look and a little play it looks and sounds great. Some little niggles though, first of all as the loco sets off the sound seems to completely stop before ‘chuffing’ away, and there are unfortunately some wonky parts and paint drips here and there. Still quite happy though.

Be aware F24 turns the steam unit on/off independant of F1. Obviously F1 is required for the noise but F24 is the atomiser power.

CVs 211 and 212 alter the steam volume at chuff and idle.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1

On 20/03/2024 at 20:23, tommyliam021 said:

Mine arrived yesterday, having had a good look and a little play it looks and sounds great. Some little niggles though, first of all as the loco sets off the sound seems to completely stop before ‘chuffing’ away, and there are unfortunately some wonky parts and paint drips here and there. Still quite happy though.

Paint drips and wonky parts = send it back. On a £300 loco, no chance.

Hornby need to get their act together.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Good Morning

Just picked up mine (with the sound and steam).

Having read the instructions (most unusual), I am baffled by all of the HM700 TXS stuff.

I only got the sound fitted as it is little more cost than the DC version and would be a provisional DCC.

I was hoping, that at some stage I would fit a better sound decoder (preferably of the real loco when it is built), and an upgraded speaker, with control as per usual via my ESU ECoS.

I don't have a smart phone or tablet that can do any of that remote stuff.

So, is the TXS decoder already loaded with the sound file so I can use it 'out of the box' on the ECoS or do I have to load the files some other way.

If not, it might be going back.

I've been in touch with Hornby technical who said to just try it on the track with the ECoS.

Seems as though the sound files are already loaded, so no downloading required. This will suffice until the real loco is recorded. I wonder who will be doing that?

Edited by zr2498
More info added

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RAF96 said:

Be aware F24 turns the steam unit on/off independant of F1. Obviously F1 is required for the noise but F24 is the atomiser power.

CVs 211 and 212 alter the steam volume at chuff and idle.

Thanks @RAF96 for the info. So if steam is not needed then presumably pressing F24 will take the power off the steam unit. Surely that is a better state to leave it in when not used. I would have preferred to have to turn it on rather than off.

2 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Thanks @RAF96 for the info. So if steam is not needed then presumably pressing F24 will take the power off the steam unit. Surely that is a better state to leave it in when not used. I would have preferred to have to turn it on rather than off.

F24 toggles the steamer on/off, but I am not sure which is default on or off, - I would think the function mapping is such that F1 also turns F24 on meaning the next F24 action is turn it off. I will check.

Ref the sound file - out of the factory it is loaded with the correct profile and default out of the box operation should be DCC. However updates are issued and it is wise to use the free app to upload the latest version if there is one. Your ECoS track power is fine to allow the app to work.

Edited by RAF96
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 20/03/2024 at 20:23, tommyliam021 said:

The short silence before setting off is a TXS ‘feature’, concealed by opening the drain cocks before setting off.

Sort of like the real thing….

Neal

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, 5Dublo2 said:

Is there an explanation as to why you should not use the double chimney when using the steamer feature?

I would imagine that with the double chimney fitted some vapor would collect on the plastic middle moulding, which would form a bead which could drop onto the pad which creates the steam, causing the flow of steam to stop. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Well, that's going to rule it out for nearly all BR's big steam engines except Bulleid's. Lack of forward thinking there...

Perhaps I should make it clear the model comes with a double chimney (fitted) and a replacement chimney (in the accessories pack) that looks the same from the sides/front but from the top it is just a single chimney with an oval(ish) elongated hole instead of 2 circular holes. Easy to swap them over and the instructions for the steam/smoke generator show that you should use the single chimney when generating the steam.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 5Dublo2 said:

Perhaps I should make it clear the model comes with a double chimney (fitted) and a replacement chimney (in the accessories pack) that looks the same from the sides/front but from the top it is just a single chimney with an oval(ish) elongated hole instead of 2 circular holes. Easy to swap them over and the instructions for the steam/smoke generator show that you should use the single chimney when generating the steam.

There would seem to be an unseemly rush at Hornby to bring 'gimmicks' to market.

First, we had working loco headlamps that were going to have to be fixed.

Now, we have 'smoke' generation - which won't work with double chimneys.

For those  amongst us who are attracted by such things, it is good that Hornby are 'pushing the envelope'. However, as in all innovation, it is important to 'keep your powder dry' - in other words, not to rush to market.

If the end goal is worth the effort, the desired impact on the market will only be achieved if the result is 100% effective.

By trying to sell half-developed products, one is bound to question Hornby's commitment to this project.

True game-changers are never achieved overnight - longer-term commitment is essential, not chasing quick returns.

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

That’s only possible on an unlimited budget, and that’s something Hornby Hobbies doesn’t has. The same argument is used for TT120, only release when there’s a full range, or with HM7000, only release it when both android and IOS are ready, and with tons of profiles and the dongle ready to ship. These first steam generators are making money now, money that Hornby needs, and going by the plethora of videos on YT, are well received. Who knows what the future brings?

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, 5Dublo2 said:

It seems that this is the setup whether it's Hornby or TRS trains for locos with a double chimney. From looking at the excellent work of TRS trains on Facebook it looks like they also have to open out the chimney so that the divide is missing to allow the steam effect to work. Maybe someone can come up with a 3d printed double chimney that can somehow channel the steam through the chimney without the need to remove the divide.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Johan DC said:

That’s only possible on an unlimited budget, and that’s something Hornby Hobbies doesn’t has. The same argument is used for TT120, only release when there’s a full range, or with HM7000, only release it when both android and IOS are ready, and with tons of profiles and the dongle ready to ship. These first steam generators are making money now, money that Hornby needs, and going by the plethora of videos on YT, are well received. Who knows what the future brings?

Invalid comparison.

We are not talking about a range of anything here - just a single feature.

Releasing it early / only part developed will generate a sector of the market that reacts "No way - not with a gaping hole where the double chimney should be"!

CJI.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, cctransuk said:

There would seem to be an unseemly rush at Hornby to bring 'gimmicks' to market.

First, we had working loco headlamps that were going to have to be fixed.

Now, we have 'smoke' generation - which won't work with double chimneys.

For those  amongst us who are attracted by such things, it is good that Hornby are 'pushing the envelope'. However, as in all innovation, it is important to 'keep your powder dry' - in other words, not to rush to market.

If the end goal is worth the effort, the desired impact on the market will only be achieved if the result is 100% effective.

By trying to sell half-developed products, one is bound to question Hornby's commitment to this project.

True game-changers are never achieved overnight - longer-term commitment is essential, not chasing quick returns.

CJI.

really, you think steam is a gimmick?
all manufacture's are been asked to push the boundaries with detail and features. Hornby have done that with various products/features over the last 12 months but get slammed by a few for doing that, they really can't win. 

Does a double or single chimney really make a difference when its going round the layout with steam coming out of it? i think not.

• Like 4