Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Broadleaves,

As both @McC and I are currently on holiday, I'm sure you can appreciate that it may take longer than your anticipation to get you the photos you require and request. Many thanks for your patience.

Cheers!

Fran 

😲 on holiday...???!!! You're not allowed holidays, there's models to shift...!!! 😉😉😉

But seriously... have a good time, it's well deserved 🙂

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

As both @McC and I

Stroll on from a half day two year ago to this,we know who had the RSG sound models on e bay now,whos steering the ship now......

4 hours ago, BroadLeaves said:

even a hint of a deadline!

No problem,stay alive as standard here,and its in the tender too...............

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, BroadLeaves said:

My point was not the storage of them, it's the transfer to/from the storage and the track. Box design doesn't come into it.

I suggest its probably easier than connecting / disconnecting real ones.

i’m missing a point… I dont think any newly tooled rtr tender engine has been delivered separate from its tender, from a factory for several years now, its not how they are made any more…

And probably for sound logic..

1. by shipping disconnected, its actually not ready to run.

2. Some buyers have dexterity issues, or just lack familiarity with assembly, which risks damage.

3. It transfers warranty risk to the buyer, for disconnecting an item thats ready to run.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 4

14 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I dont think any newly tooled rtr tender engine has been delivered separate from its tender, from a factory for several years now, its not how they are made any more

Dapol's D Class and Mogul are both shipped with the locomotive and tender unconnected. Those are, as far as I'm aware, new toolings for both.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

Dapol's D Class and Mogul are both shipped with the locomotive and tender unconnected. Those are, as far as I'm aware, new toolings for both.

Your collection must be very small and very focussed.

its worth pointing out that Dapol (via Airfix) were actually early champions of rtr plastic models with connected locos and tenders… Royal Scot, Castle, County etc..

i’m sorry but your firmly in the minority post 2012.

if we are seeking innovation for connecting locos and tenders, magnetism is probably the way forwards… fixed connections with JSTs are too easy to break wires (most common today), friction fit connections will wear and become brittle, and hook under / pin drop connections of the 1980’s would still break from handling.

There is no nirvana, but with the Manor you are free to choose your preference.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Nothing to do with Manors 🤣 

…. But the wet paint comment above always reminds me of the “Wheeltappers and shutters club” …. 

“A message from the committee…. The sign (wet paint) in the Gents toilet, is for information purposes only!”

I tried to find the clip, but it doesn’t seem to be there…

Anyway, back to the Manors…. Q4 and they will be gorgeous 😎

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

24 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Your collection must be very small and very focussed.

That assumption makes no sense whatsoever. No idea why you made it or what point you were trying to make. Care to elaborate?

Someone could be fully aware of how a couple of Dapol models are engineered and own no model railway items whatsoever. They could, by the same token, own thousands of locomotives of a wide variety of gauges from a range of manufacturers.

• RMweb Gold

Back fully on the subject of Manors, this one, captured earlier today, seems very well engineered....

7822 Foxcote Manor taking a little light refreshment, Bishops Lydeard, WSR.

John  

P1150076er.jpg

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

That photo should also be in the real thing that looks like a model thread John.😉

'tis all (and not just the loco) a bit clinically clean, isn't it Rob!

Couldn't find where they'd hidden its box, though.😇

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Back fully on the subject of Manors, this one, captured earlier today, seems very well engineered....

7822 Foxcote Manor taking a little light refreshment, Bishops Lydeard, WSR.

John  

P1150076er.jpg

Brilliant photo 😍😍😍

I'll take 7822 in batch 2 please!!! (Albeit in Green with L/C)

• Thanks 1

Just get a DCC Concepts Motive Power Depot. With one you can drive your loco right onto the integrated track, lift it off the layout and place it in the padded storage box without ever having to touch it much less disconnect the tender. The unit is so solid you can ship the loco in it and lift it from the box, put it on the layout and drive away. 

Edited by Cofga
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Cofga said:

Just get a DCC Concepts Motive Power Depot. With one you can drive your loco right onto the integrated track, lift it off the layout and place it in the padded storage box without ever having to touch it much less disconnect the tender. The unit is so solid you can ship the loco in it and lift it from the box, put it on the layout and drive away. 

I have one of these for my Rood Ashton Hall that came unboxed.

Certainly makes storage easier.

• Like 2

Neat product! I've started investing in HLS Berg's Trainsafe Vision products. Investing being the operative word...😬 I've prioritised getting anything with a tricky tender connection out of its original box and into a 'tube'.

cheers

James

• Like 1

I have purchased 3 Accurascale Manor locomotives on pre order and I am planning to add real coal to the tenders. This will be the first time I have added real coal and I am wondering the best way to go about it. I don’t really want to glue it to the tender itself so was thinking of glueing it to the removable coal load that comes with the model! Do you think that is the best way? 

Or an idea is that Accurascale could sell removable real coal loads for the tenders separately like they have done for their wagons in the past. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Trainsandtravel said:

I have purchased 3 Accurascale Manor locomotives on pre order and I am planning to add real coal to the tenders. This will be the first time I have added real coal and I am wondering the best way to go about it. I don’t really want to glue it to the tender itself so was thinking of glueing it to the removable coal load that comes with the model! Do you think that is the best way? 

Or an idea is that Accurascale could sell removable real coal loads for the tenders separately like they have done for their wagons in the past. 

It's reasonably easy to make a removeable load of real coal, with a little time and patience.

If you line the area to be filled with cling-film, a mix of coal and PVA can be built up to the desired profile. Don't pack it in too tightly though or it may become a permanent fixture.

Leave it about a week in a warm room to be sure it's fully set, then lift it out and remove the cling-film.

Many modellers put coal in loose and drip diluted PVA over but I changed to "pre-mix" having discovered that not all coal spaces on Bachmann tenders are water-tight...

The PVA is still diluted but not so far that it will separate from the mixture.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

It's reasonably easy to make a removeable load of real coal, with a little time and patience.

If you line the area to be filled with cling-film, a mix of coal and PVA can be built up to the desired profile. Don't pack it in too tightly though or it may become a permanent fixture.

Leave it about a week in a warm room to be sure it's fully set, then lift it out and remove the cling-film.

Many modellers put coal in loose and drip diluted PVA over but I changed to "pre-mix" having discovered that not all coal spaces on Bachmann tenders are water-tight...

The PVA is still diluted but not so far that it will separate from the mixture.

John

That is an excellent tip. Thanks for that. I will have a few practices before the manors are delivered.