Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

I like the "change the model if you have wide curves". Not so sure about the implied "the connection between the locomotive and the tender is really fragile". 

why would any fragility be implied? 

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Back during the heatwave of the other week, we decided it would be a fantastic idea to look at some steam locomotives. So, we made our way to Didcot to do a small video on the Manors. 

Check it out on our YouTube channel as we look at all the different detail aspects, features and more, as well as an update on progress.

Cheers!

Fran 

Really interesting and informative video. Great to see. A question if I may, will unpainted accurafolk be available, using the more traditional printing method?

I'm not entirely sold on the quality of the colour print from pictured, although admittedly I have not seen them in the flesh. It would be great if the custom poses for the specific locomotive were available for those of us that do wish to paint as well.

Thanks!

37 minutes ago, McC said:

why would any fragility be implied

"We really suggest that you only take it apart for servicing". That's a direct quote from the video at 10:09. Much the same thing was also said at 3:45. That's twice in 11 minutes. Can't be important then!

Why do you suggest that, if the connector is nice and robust? 

Edited by BroadLeaves

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

"We really suggest that you only take it apart for servicing". That's a direct quote from the video at 10:09. Much the same thing was also said at 3:45. That's twice in 11 minutes. Can't be important then!

Hi @BroadLeaves,

Simply as it can be a bit of a pain to disconnect and reconnect a lot. Simple as that.

Cheers!

Fran

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

Fair enough. Seems a bit odd to me that the video felt it was important enough to say it twice, but didn't think that people would want to know the reason why.

So I can disconnect it every day for a year, and you promise it won't break?

If you have to take a tender locomotive off the tracks, in my experience, keeping the main body and tender connected makes things a lot more awkward, not least because your choice of contact points is much more limited, mainly because you can't pick up one or the other using both hands. As a result you usually end up stressing a delicate connection more than if they are separated.

14 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

I realise that some people take great delight in being obtuse. but why would you disconnect it every day? 

If you saw a wet paint sign in front of a wall, you would touch the wall wouldn't you?

Craig W

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

6 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

Since you like asking sarcastic questions, let me ask you one in return:

Do you think that everyone is in a position to leave locomotives on the track all the time?

No they are not.

But the boxes on the RTR locos I have are designed so the loco and tender can stay coupled.

Perhaps Accurascale can advise how the Manor will be packaged, which will ease your angst and avoid the need for me to roll my eyes and post another sarcastic comment.

3 hours ago, BroadLeaves said:

I have a steam engine from a U.S manufacturer and while the connection is not fragile it is a pain to disconnect then reconnect. Whenever the manufacturer makes suggestions regarding their steam locomotives I am inclined to follow  them. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

I took the references in the video to be referring to the faff of disconnection, rather than any particular weakness in the design.

I have several locomotives from both of the two biggest UK manufacturers, which are a significant PITA to separate from their tenders - usually the electrical connection, rather than the mechanical link. That is annoying in itself, but the real pain is that I think every single one has packaging which requires the locomotive and tender to be separated.

I've made it a priority to get those out of their original boxes and onto display so I'm not risking the fine detail parts inverting the things so I can get at the connectors every time I want to run them. I'm a dextrous 30-something with good eyesight. Goodness knows how someone less able (like my Dad), for example, is supposed to cope!

My advice to Accurascale, if a complex tender-mating process is unavoidable (which I accept it may well be, especially with more advanced DCC functions), would be to make the packaging such that disconnection (at least of the electrical connection) isn't necessary for storage in the box. I appreciate that that too might not be possible, but I'd at least explore the option...

cheers

James

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, BroadLeaves said:

Fair enough. Seems a bit odd to me that the video felt it was important enough to say it twice, but didn't think that people would want to know the reason why.

If you have to take a tender locomotive off the tracks, in my experience, keeping the main body and tender connected makes things a lot more awkward, not least because your choice of contact points is much more limited, mainly because you can't pick up one or the other using both hands. As a result you usually end up stressing a delicate connection more than if they are separated.

Any particular reason you can’t hold the loco with one hand and the tender with the other hand?  

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Any particular reason you can’t hold the loco with one hand and the tender with the other hand?  

It's easier to be gentle with two. If you had to pick up, gently, just the body or tender, making sure you didn't damage it in any way, would you prefer to use one hand or two? Personally, I'd prefer to use two. You can't do that if they are connected.

6 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

It's easier to be gentle with two. If you had to pick up, gently, just the body or tender, making sure you didn't damage it in any way, would you prefer to use one hand or two? Personally, I'd prefer to use two. You can't do that if they are connected.

Pardon?

I have numerous locos in H0 from around the world that are not “easy” to separate and when lifting them - I HAVE TO lift them when they are connected! One has to be careful yes, of course but I can do it, even my mate who is known as ‘klutzy von sausage fingers’ can usually manage it.

We know that these are models that require care and so we treat them with respect, why wouldn’t you?

Just be careful, no need to make a fuss.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Very informative video I thought . I'm not buying a Manor  but the video was still of interest showing the challenges around the front wheels and all the variations . Its this type of video that gives me a good feeling about accurascale .  I have a Deltic and its stunning . Looking forward to whats coming from these boys 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BroadLeaves said:

Maybe this just isn’t the locomotive for you… rather than pull apart the design ‘flaws’ just don’t buy it if your unhappy with the way it is? 🤔 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, foggyjames said:

I have several locomotives from both of the two biggest UK manufacturers, which are a significant PITA to separate from their tenders - usually the electrical connection, rather than the mechanical link. That is annoying in itself, but the real pain is that I think every single one has packaging which requires the locomotive and tender to be separated.

cheers

James

IIRC none of my recent tender locos need seperating in their packaging.

They usually have a fixed, i.e. a screwed in loco-tender link, as well as the electrical connection.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

46 minutes ago, Northmoor MPD said:

rather than pull apart the design ‘flaws’

Not pulling apart any flaws. I don't know how it's designed. I was asking a question and expressing a personal preference.

Perhaps @Accurascale Fran would be able to say how the connector works in practice?

Actually, photos of the undersides of both locomotive and tender would be interesting, if there are any.

Edited by BroadLeaves
Added comment about photos.

• RMweb Premium

Now then, now then, how about using;

a Loco Lift;

a 'Railer' such as the Peco one;

realising the link is a faff so using a different Box with your own packing; retaining the origianl Box for when you pop yer clogs and the loco needs moving on?

Handbags away chaps, it's a 1st World problem and of absolutely little importance in today's situations.

No need to thank me.

A.N. Arse.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 8
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

@BroadLeavesyou dont work for Dapol by any chance??,the lads are on redesigning the tender as they have kindly said so have things to get on with,it will be quality,as with all models with finese,they will need common sense while handeling but i doubt you want to swing it around your head holding the tender......its not doctor my brain hurts stuff is it.

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 6

38 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

you dont work for Dapol by any chance

Not at all. I have, apart from as a customer, no connection with any model railway manufacturer. I have seen (but do not own any locomotives with) the new Dapol "click-link" connector, and that looks very nice. It appears to be simple, robust and reliable.

Having seen the Manor video, where it was said, twice, that it wasn't recommended to disconnect the locomotive and tender except for servicing, my curiosity was piqued as to the reason. My assumption was that it was because it was delicate. @Accurascale Fran has replied and stated that it's just a bit fiddly. Fair enough. That response prompted the request for photos of the undersides, which I would imagine more than just me would be interested to see. To date, I haven't seen any. If there are some that are already published, a link to them would be appreciated.

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

Not at all. I have, apart from as a customer, no connection with any model railway manufacturer. I have seen (but do not own any locomotives with) the new Dapol "click-link" connector, and that looks very nice. It appears to be simple, robust and reliable.

Having seen the Manor video, where it was said, twice, that it wasn't recommended to disconnect the locomotive and tender except for servicing, my curiosity was piqued as to the reason. My assumption was that it was because it was delicate. @Accurascale Fran has replied and stated that it's just a bit fiddly. Fair enough. That response prompted the request for photos of the undersides, which I would imagine more than just me would be interested to see. To date, I haven't seen any. If there are some that are already published, a link to them would be appreciated.

Hi Broadleaves,

As both @McC and I are currently on holiday, I'm sure you can appreciate that it may take longer than your anticipation to get you the photos you require and request. Many thanks for your patience.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8