Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

10 hours ago, McC said:

When the model is going round the layout, from 9:47 onwards, there's a regular sort of "ticking" which appears to be in sync with the driving wheel rotation.

Is that part of the sound file or coming from the mechanism?

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

just a couple of observations/questions please regarding finish;

With the majority of the loco body being diecast, I was hoping that the finish would have a little more sheen

and could you confirm that the wiper pickups that are visible behind the driving wheels will be blackened

on the final model please ?

Keep up the good work.

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

When the model is going round the layout, from 9:47 onwards, there's a regular sort of "ticking" which appears to be in sync with the driving wheel rotation.

Is that part of the sound file or coming from the mechanism?

I think that's the tick coming from the vacuum pump, you can hear it on the real loco on the last shot before going to the model. 

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

tick coming from the vacuum pump, you can hear it on the real loco on the last shot before going to the model. 

Maybe. The one from the model sounds different to my ears, much more metallic and sharper. It may be that the model had some of the effects turned off when that sequence was filmed, but I'm surprised that the most audible thing from a large steam locomotive running at a scale speed of about 40mph (a guess on my part) is a vacuum pump.

2 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

Maybe. The one from the model sounds different to my ears, much more metallic and sharper. It may be that the model had some of the effects turned off when that sequence was filmed, but I'm surprised that the most audible thing from a large steam locomotive running at a scale speed of about 40mph (a guess on my part) is a vacuum pump.

Depends which part of the video you are referring too. If it is where is the loco is coasting the vacuum pump will be more audible Vs when working.

This has been my experience when riding behind GWR engines

• Agree 1

If it is from the sound file, that's fine. The one I have on order is non-DCC. Not because I wanted an analogue locomotive (I intend to convert it to DCC), but because there's no indication on Accurascale's web site of the model or capabilities of the decoder, so you're paying £90 for an unknown decoder model and an unknown stay-alive module. Granted, the extra £90 includes the speaker and wiring, but I wouldn't pay £90 for just a decoder from a retailer if all I knew was that it was "a sound capable decoder", which is where I am with this one.

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Eddie the dog said:

Hi guys,

just a couple of observations/questions please regarding finish;

With the majority of the loco body being diecast, I was hoping that the finish would have a little more sheen

and could you confirm that the wiper pickups that are visible behind the driving wheels will be blackened

on the final model please ?

Keep up the good work.

Thanks.

Hi @Eddie the dog,

Many thanks for your feedback. The contacts will be chemically blackened on the production models. 

6 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

If it is from the sound file, that's fine. The one I have on order is non-DCC. Not because I wanted an analogue locomotive (I intend to convert it to DCC), but because there's no indication on Accurascale's web site of the model or capabilities of the decoder, so you're paying £90 for an unknown decoder model and an unknown stay-alive module. Granted, the extra £90 includes the speaker and wiring, but I wouldn't pay £90 for just a decoder from a retailer if all I knew was that it was "a sound capable decoder", which is where I am with this one.

Hi @BroadLeaves,

All our sound decoders are ESU loksound 5, as are the power pack capacitors. The noise is the sound chip.

Many thanks,

Fran

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

While I'm on the subject of costs, one for @McC or @Accurascale Fran maybe. The web site is doing something very odd. I start with this page:

image.png.68a5dc1547c13607f8c72441fe87750a.png

giving a full price of £169.99 for the non-DCC variant. However, when I click the 'Email me if it becomes available' button, I get this:

image.png.defcf7323ff2f47ac9995f5f03039d8d.png
which would appear to be offering to sell me the same thing for £141.66 once it becomes available. Sounds good. How do I get my £28.33 discount? 

However, since £141.66 + 20% VAT is £169.99, my guess is that the web site can't decide whether to charge VAT or not.

9 hours ago, Free At Last said:

I liked the laughter sounds of the manna.

If anyone didn't get the gist of my earlier post it was because I had inadvertently switched on the subtitles and the chuffs from the 'cook and manner' were translated as laughter. Some of the other dialogue was quite funny too, worth a watch with subtitles on.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, McC said:

our method is to launch with an EP sample in hand. Take preorders and encourage our retailers to do the same.
When decorated samples are in give retailers a couple of weeks to firm up their guaranteed preorders with us. 
Use those retailer preorders plus direct preorders to understand demand and put that x 1.4 into a production run. 
6 months later or less, deliver 100% of all preorders and full trade allocations and hopefully have a little stock in hand for those that missed out or want to buy when in stock. 

In the immortal word of Mr Punch, "that's the way to do it".
Fulfilling 100% of dealer preorders huh?  A novel concept to some other suppliers it would appear.

The factor of x1.4 on preorders is most interesting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

While I'm on the subject of costs, one for @McC or @Accurascale Fran maybe. The web site is doing something very odd. I start with this page:

image.png.68a5dc1547c13607f8c72441fe87750a.png

giving a full price of £169.99 for the non-DCC variant. However, when I click the 'Email me if it becomes available' button, I get this:

image.png.defcf7323ff2f47ac9995f5f03039d8d.png
which would appear to be offering to sell me the same thing for £141.66 once it becomes available. Sounds good. How do I get my £28.33 discount? 

However, since £141.66 + 20% VAT is £169.99, my guess is that the web site can't decide whether to charge VAT or not.

some systems can’t be sure unless you checkout and show the ex Vat price for anyone outside the UK. Facebook does the same. It only shows ex vat until you confirm you’re in the UK 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, McC said:

some systems can’t be sure unless you checkout and show the ex Vat price for anyone outside the UK

Indeed, but why is one price including VAT and one price excluding VAT on the same page? One page, one set of rules for determining how to show prices, surely?

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

Indeed, but why is one price including VAT and one price excluding VAT on the same page? One page, one set of rules for determining how to show prices, surely?

dofferent systems. The waiting list system doesn’t care about vat as it’s not trying to sell you something :) 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, McC said:

it’s not trying to sell you something :) 

Why would anyone want to be added to the waiting list, and so be notified when it becomes available, if they weren't intending to buy one?

I would say that a page that has the words "Pay in full now" on it is most definitely trying to sell me something.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BroadLeaves said:

Definitely the vacuum pump - it even sounds like the vacuum pump they recorded which was in need of a little attention with some 'magic juice' hence it's not making quite the 'pht pht pht; sound of a pump which you might be more familiar with on some engines.  The 'pht' sound varies with the state of lubrication and can be very noticeable on a pump which has been overfilled with mineral oil.  An interesting thing on the model is that it does indeed appear to synchronise with the rotation of the wheels - rather impressive!    

Incidentally on any Western engine in good condition the main sound you will hear when it is coasting is the vacuum pump, that's when the sound is most noticeable.

The real sound does vary a bit for a variety of reasons and during GW 150 we had a minor problem with one on one engine.   It  sounded distinctly 'offbe't.  Duly treated with 'magic juice' which the folk supporting another engine always carried a supply of as it has several uses.  

(There might not be quite enough bass in the sound but it's very recognisably a Western vacuum pump so it ticks the tight box.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the vacuum pump sounds a little over pronounced myself, it sounds more like the spirax of a 47, it needs flattening and quieting, the sound of exhaust steam from the chimney I usually find overpowers it.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to catch up with the two and a half pages since the video aired….

No one has mentioned another factor in reproducing and then recording the sounds…. The acoustics in the room - the magazine layout seemed to be shoe horned into an office with files along one side…. 

Maybe I need to change the acoustics for Henley-on-Thames 🤣

The Manor sound is looking to be a great project in itself. Thanks guys, look forward to next weeks update.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Interesting to catch up with the two and a half pages since the video aired….

No one has mentioned another factor in reproducing and then recording the sounds…. The acoustics in the room - the magazine layout seemed to be shoe horned into an office with files along one side…. 

Maybe I need to change the acoustics for Henley-on-Thames 🤣

The Manor sound is looking to be a great project in itself. Thanks guys, look forward to next weeks update.

Just for info, a previous video on the new GC layout build shows that the Hornby Mag layouts are in fact in Mike Wild’s garage. So a stone building with concrete floor would definitely affect acoustics and sounds. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Talk of the differences in the sounds in the project makes me wonder if it's viable to put together more than one sound project for a model of any given class during the sound recording and editing/assembly phase, so as to cover some of the more well-known variations. It wouldn't just be the Manor that could benefit, of course.

4 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Just for info, a previous video on the new GC layout build shows that the Hornby Mag layouts are in fact in Mike Wild’s garage. So a stone building with concrete floor would definitely affect acoustics and sounds. 

That is true topley Dale and the grand Central layout were in Mike's garage but this is no longer the case. Topley Dale has been dismantled and disposed of as they've been given a big space to work in now. All the new videos from Hornby magazine are with the grand Central layout at its new location until the new test layout is built.

• Like 1

Few comments from the sound demo video:

A few times it seemed the chuff rate and loco speed weren't quite in sync, may be just camera angles/editing but is it intended they will be properly synced?

The loco finish seemed a little dull. Will the production ones have a glossier finish?

Finally there was mention of active braking on function 2. I assume this works like the zimo braking, can this be added to the new deltic chips via CVS (if so any chance of a guide on the accurascale website?)

Otherwise looks stunning!

• RMweb Premium

Agree regarding the finish of the loco as stated earlier.

Not being critical here at all, but if not too late I think that more of a ‘sheen’ (not gloss) to the paintwork

would be the single most noticeable improvement here.

• Agree 2

On 08/07/2022 at 19:36, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Thats Elons job.............

We've already got Starships in Cambourne.  The Co-op is using them to deliver groceries!

They've also got them in Milton Keynes (where they can sometimes be found in a hedgerow with their 6 wheels uppermost , looking rather like a dead insect)

https://www.cambridgeindependent.co.uk/news/food-delivery-robots-from-starship-technologies-now-deliveri-9254618/

• Informative/Useful 1