Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

7805:

7805 Broome Manor from the train on the Guildford-Reading line Aug 63.

(Aug '63 - within my lifetime!)

What a shocking state it has been allowed to get into - and I do know about the difficulty of recruiting lower grade staff at that time; (so what has changed in sixty years)?!?

John Isherwood

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 30/07/2023 at 13:12, Coach bogie said:

I have this post warimage of a Manor piloting a Castle from Paddington.

Mike Wiltshire

7810.jpg.7dc8b4f2bb2e9c900fec53a028db7dd1.jpg

Unless somebody else has already named the location (it was a common spot for photography) it looks to be in the cutting east of Iver station more or less where the M25 now passes over the GWML.  But I've never before seen a  shot taken there with the vegetation looking that verdant

(The big giveaway of the location is the fact that there is a shallow sided cutting with 5 running lines - there being an extra line on the Up side in the background, the Iver - West Drayton West Up Goods Line

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I watched that train depart from Bristol TM that day, a splendid sight indeed. I heard the King had failed but surprised the Manor had to be taken off too! Thank you for the inside story !

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

What happened after that is best not recounted as  I got my other, top secret, stand-by plan into effect and we had two engines from Plymouth for the return working next day .  That plan meant a slightly warmed backside for me from one senior WR manager and hearty thanks from two others.  But it did mean that we gave the punters passengers part of what they'd paid for and that was what counted in my book.

We followed this down by car becoming more and more worried watching events unfold as we had booked for the return.

Stayed overnight at Plymouth and the following day had the most memorable return run with Hinton Manor and Hagley Hall. Thanks for all the efforts.

• Like 2

I definitely planned ahead and definitely didn’t just get a Manor book to find a name for my Manor.

I just got Great Western Manors by Laurence Waters. Thankfully found some pics of the five Bristol Bath Manors around 1946-48, only one in clear enough detail, which is on page 23. It shows 7814 Fringford Manor in 1948 with narrow hornplates and what looks to be a flush tender. But interestingly, Dapol produced 7814 with a riveted tender? (7814 did get a wide hornplate riveted tender by 1955) Either I’m seeing the picture wrong and Dapol did it correctly, or the other way around. Which would it be? (I have 7819 on order, which is flush and narrow hornplates)

I also have 7800 and 7820 on order for fun. 

Thank you

Edited by Ribird
Forgot dates
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

But then its usual disaster befell 6000 and it was removed at Taunton due to a hot box leaving 7819 to 'struggle' (not) on alone westwards.  However I had taken the precaution of including in my plans for the working  a pair of coupled pair of Class 37s trailing along not far behind the special and they were duly attached to the rear of the train before we left Taunton.

It's a small world, isn't it? (or maybe not!) - I was the Traffic Assistant * on duty at Taunton when all this unfolded, as Mike may well recall.

* ie. duty operations Supervisor

I seem to recall that the King wouldn't 'fit' in the down Barnstaple bay and had to go on the 'Loco' (ie. what semi-derelict sidings remained on the site of the old loco sheds). But the operational sidings there were required for tamper stabling and maintenance, so we had to put the King on one of the less-well frequented roads at the back.

I recall the driver being somewhat nervous about running this heavy loco over such dodgy-looking track, but fortunately the local PW ganger (known locally as Catweazle) was also present, with his camera, so he agreed to inspect the siding and wave the loco along to where it would be stabled.

Luckily for everyone, King George V did not fall off!

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

Some years later in early Network Rail days, when I was based back in the West Country and in a more senior position, I recall a run up the main line by 7802 Bradley Manor. I can't remember if it was put on at Exeter or whether it was just a water stop, but I do recall that the conditions of main line running stipulated a maximum speed of 60 mph.

I was a great supporter of main line steam, but there were many in official circles who were not, so I was quite strict when dealing with steam operations, to ensure that the regulations were adhered to.

I don't think that the crew on 7802 at the time knew that the various Hot Axle Box detectors on the network recorded the speed of each passing train.

Certainly, I was somewhat dismayed to learn from the panel the following day that 7802 had passed over one of the detectors north of Exeter at something in excess of 75 mph.

Words were subsequently had...

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Some years later in early Network Rail days, when I was based back in the West Country and in a more senior position, I recall a run up the main line by 7802 Bradley Manor. I can't remember if it was put on at Exeter or whether it was just a water stop, but I do recall that the conditions of main line running stipulated a maximum speed of 60 mph.

I was a great supporter of main line steam, but there were many in official circles who were not, so I was quite strict when dealing with steam operations, to ensure that the regulations were adhered to.

I don't think that the crew on 7802 at the time knew that the various Hot Axle Box detectors on the network recorded the speed of each passing train.

Certainly, I was somewhat dismayed to learn from the panel the following day that 7802 had passed over one of the detectors north of Exeter at something in excess of 75 mph.

Words were subsequently had...

Not sure if it would have been the same trip, but 7802 wasn't hanging about coming down, when it passed Exminster, either!

I was told the driver was retiring that week....

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Waited 2 years for my first Accurascale loco, and with a 37 arriving today from Rails, looks like two in a fortnight or so for me.

Especially looking forward to the sound on this one, I have some great sound files, Locoman King and a few others, but the speaker setup on this is where I think it will shine.

• Like 1